U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:16 PM

1,876 posts, read 202,974 times

Advertisements

A majority of your tax burden comes from your School Tax.

Do you believe our teachers are being overpaid,underpaid or paid fairly?

Care to weigh in?

C

Old 08-13-2007, 08:28 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,630,194 times
Teach for a week and you'll see that the pay isn't even enough for what you have to endure. Teachers are really responsible for the future of America, so considering how important we are to helping the future America, we should get more money. Doctors are just as important, and they get paid a lot more.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:37 PM

553 posts, read 1,289,036 times
Stop we all are important in our own way should we all be overpaid I think not. Should the deli guy get the same as you because without him we wouldnt have cold cuts? We all think are jobs are important but do not compare yourself to a doctor you have to be kidding. Teach for a week ? how bad can it be my nephew is a teacher not once have I heard him say how hard his job is. You are helping the future of america? well america is in the toilet as of now maybe we should get the teachers to give back some. and how is learning home ec molding future america?

Old 08-13-2007, 08:49 PM

1,839 posts, read 2,582,610 times
Teachers aren't overpaid; their salary is more then justifiable. Now, let's look into the cost of benefits, support services and special programs. And by special programs I'm not talking about special education or remedial reading programs. I'm talking about before and after school programs that allow teachers to earn additional income.

Also, why does the superintendent and their direct reports get paid as much as they do?

Old 08-13-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Stop we all are important in our own way should we all be overpaid I think not. Should the deli guy get the same as you because without him we wouldnt have cold cuts? We all think are jobs are important but do not compare yourself to a doctor you have to be kidding. Teach for a week ? how bad can it be my nephew is a teacher not once have I heard him say how hard his job is. You are helping the future of america? well america is in the toilet as of now maybe we should get the teachers to give back some. and how is learning home ec molding future america?
Agreed, but the deli guy isn't slicing pastrami on the backs of the Taxpayers.

I for one think most teachers are underpaid (My wife makes better money waiting tables in the Summer).

Most teachers don't teach for the money.

I'm not sure if the same can be said for our local cops.

Best,

C

Old 08-13-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Teachers aren't overpaid; their salary is more then justifiable. Now, let's look into the cost of benefits, support services and special programs. And by special programs I'm not talking about special education or remedial reading programs. I'm talking about before and after school programs that allow teachers to earn additional income.

Also, why does the superintendent and their direct reports get paid as much as they do?
What are you talking about ? those guys want to stay after and pretend there professional coaches. I should pay these a** clowns more money to be incompetent coaches? are you kidding I bet you could find better coaches that would do it for free. Just because they love coaching kids, look around at all the little leages baseball, football, soccer ,basketball and so on those coaches do it because they want to yes some are as bad or worse then the teachers but there are better coaches for sure that would do it for the love of teaching kids. Teachers in other states get paid less are they not as good as ours? I have not seen LI schools produce a president lately have you. but those crappy schools down south sure fill up the colleges dont they? superintendents are way overpaid what a joke someone could do there job for a third of the money.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Agreed, but the deli guy isn't slicing pastrami on the backs of the Taxpayers.

I for one think most teachers are underpaid (My wife makes better money waiting tables in the Summer).

Most teachers don't teach for the money.

I'm not sure if the same can be said for our local cops.

Best,

C
I would guess it depends what and where you teach. should the gal in sayville teaching how to make muffins make as much as the one in roosevelt teaching math I dont think so.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I would guess it depends what and where you teach. should the gal in sayville teaching how to make muffins make as much as the one in roosevelt teaching math I dont think so.

Truth be told the worse the district the better the pay.

However the better the district the more annoying the parents.

So says the Missus.

C

Old 08-13-2007, 09:59 PM

7,859 posts, read 12,475,246 times
ummmmmmmmmm, Central Islip has one of the highest pay scales on Long Island & the weakest scores (some of their tests scores are worse than even Wyandanch) . This is NOT a 100% minority community and people do own homes so I am not sure what they are doing wrong, There are beautiful condos on Carelton Avenue near the Ducks Ballpark. I think that these kids are zoned for CI which is frightening,

Old 08-13-2007, 10:08 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,783,583 times
Quote:
What are you talking about ? those guys want to stay after and pretend there professional coaches. I should pay these a** clowns more money to be incompetent coaches? are you kidding I bet you could find better coaches that would do it for free. Just because they love coaching kids, look around at all the little leages baseball, football, soccer ,basketball and so on those coaches do it because they want to yes some are as bad or worse then the teachers but there are better coaches for sure that would do it for the love of teaching kids. Teachers in other states get paid less are they not as good as ours? I have not seen LI schools produce a president lately have you. but those crappy schools down south sure fill up the colleges dont they? superintendents are way overpaid what a joke someone could do there job for a third of the money.
actaully, there was a story in the NY Times that spoke about schools on LI in particular (along with NJ and Westchester) in which top schools like Duke, Michigan, etc. are looking for "geographic" diversity b/c all those dumb NY kids were filling up the schools. Too good for all those filthy libs, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island