Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:01 AM

603 posts, read 1,947,404 times

Advertisements

For all of you who are planning to flee NY,instead of going south like everyone else,have any of you considered going north?I am thinking about Maine because it is absolutely gorgeous there and i cannot stand the hot humid weather.I know it is still the NE and it won't be as cheap as the south but hell,its not NY so its got to be better.Okay hope to hear some responses!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
For all of you who are planning to flee NY,instead of going south like everyone else,have any of you considered going north?I am thinking about Maine because it is absolutely gorgeous there and i cannot stand the hot humid weather.I know it is still the NE and it won't be as cheap as the south but hell,its not NY so its got to be better.Okay hope to hear some responses!!
The summer is still hot and humid in New England. .

The Winter is abysmal. My wife hates cold weather. I spent a good part of my childhood in Maine as I had family there. The summers were awesome, but I remember hearing about them being cooped up for 4 months of the year.

Winter in Maine is basically early October to late April. On LI, it's December until mid April. Big difference.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:34 AM

Yes but the south is warm most of the year.I could never deal with that,i'd be miserable.I love the snow.I know they get A LOT up there.Trust me i am well aware of that.Also the "mud season".But im told they get everything cleared and you're able to go about your daily activities.Unlike here they don't do a very good job of plowing and sanding.But theres also pros and cons to every state.You can't have it all,no place is perfect.You have to make compromises.Im still researching a lot about Maine,so far though it has more positives to outweigh the negatives so i think it'll be worth it.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Yes but the south is warm most of the year.I could never deal with that,i'd be miserable.I love the snow.I know they get A LOT up there.Trust me i am well aware of that.Also the "mud season".But im told they get everything cleared and you're able to go about your daily activities.Unlike here they don't do a very good job of plowing and sanding.But theres also pros and cons to every state.You can't have it all,no place is perfect.You have to make compromises.Im still researching a lot about Maine,so far though it has more positives to outweigh the negatives so i think it'll be worth it.

Look at the forecast in Raleigh

Raleigh, NC 7-Day Forecast and current weather from WeatherBug.com

Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,199 times
Try North East PA ; its really nice there.

Although our friends have a house near Freyburg, Maine and it is beautiful there also

d

Old 01-21-2009, 12:01 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
FWIW -- it was 29 degrees where my folks live in northern FL this morning

Onto the north:

If your home is on a paved road, mud season will not affect you.

You've forgotten that in NE, there are 6 seasons:

Winter, Spring, Mud, Black Fly, Summer, Fall.

Vermont, while beautiful, taxes retirement money. Bear that in mind if you are thinking retirement up north.

My neighbors just left a few days ago to live full time in NH. They are on a budget, and it appears to be a good fit financially for them. The house is on a dirt road, in a VERY small town which is a bit of a ride from anything major like hospitals, big shopping, etc.

If you are planning on moving to NE to work, bear in mind that while housing is less expensive, and that taxes seem less, salaries are less, too, so it's all relative.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
My next move will be to Pennsylvania. Its looking like the burbs of Pittsburgh.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 PM

253 posts, read 805,567 times
Default ive lived both

Quote:
thou i didnt live as far north as maine, and i live in TN now, i have lived in MA and MI, and MI had to much snow, in my mind. MA had harsh winter to, and i recall when i was living there back in 90-91...MA summers was just as hot as in the south, matter of fact, more so then here in east TN, but then again, the mnts here tend to block most of it, unless hurrican pushes it up from gulf, but still...humidity/heat wise, same to me. but....winters are so much milder here, once you get used to it, winters here, avg 40 as being cold, you feel COLD.....lol, but for most part you go without a jacket, or wear what i call a light jacket in heart of winter.
now...here in TN, as well as ajoining states along the smokies, you get snow in higher elevaltions. you can go withen a hour of knox where im at and hit slopes in gaitlinburg, for skiing/sledding, granted it wontbe what you might be used to, but its popular here. up in VA along the mtns, more snow, same as NC side. but if you want LOTS of snow...then i reckon you should keep looken at maine, sounds like you are prefering that. I just wanted to let ya know, there is some states in the south that have some winter without the massive heat of...lets say...florida. best of luck to ya!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 PM

Thanks for all the repliesThanks for the suggestions as wellI have been researching the taxes in other states.I know i will make less but the total income of my household(three people) is around 100K and we BARLEY get by.Thats kind of sad.We originally were considering NC a few years back and some jobs we looked into to paid more than what we make here.I know Maine is not the best economically.I just fell in love with it.But if i cannot get a good job there when the time comes to move then i will have no other choice but to look into somewhere else.This is just not the place i want to be.Not to mention that everything is going to continue to go up and it makes me sick to see them tearing down trees to make more condos and strip malls.That is all you see when driving down Sunrise.It is hideous.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:48 PM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
I'm just trollin' these threads to see where the majority of NY'ers are headed,
that way I know where NOT to go...ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island