Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 07:17 AM

65 posts, read 462,106 times

Advertisements

for a Nassau County total renovation...

~ Do you need to hire your own inspector for a new construction/total renovation? (Someone said that, because of the CO's the builder has to get at every stage of the process, the house already gets inspected at every point before they'd issue another CO.)

~ Are there different inspectors if you're buying a $1.5M house versus a $400K house? A brand new versus old house?

~ Are inspectators and structural engineers synonomous in this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 11:50 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,757,515 times
ALWAYS hire your own engineer. Generally the terms engineer and inspector are used interchangably. Even if it is new construction you should have the home inspected. Just because it is built to code does not mean that it is of great quality. Rembember "code" is just the minimum standard allowed so that a house can be occupied.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:53 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,101 times
www.criterium-tauschercronacher (broken link) dot com

I was told 10 years ago, and last year that these guys are THE ONE. They inspected when we bought, were there for 3 hours, huge report and when we resold last year our Agent said "well if TC passed you 10 years ago, I have no worries about this inspection" I am told agents tremor a little when they hear TC is inspecting!

Good luck and CONGRATS

Old 08-14-2007, 01:40 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,375 times
APNY, I will PM you the name of the extremely qualified and well-respected in the field home inspector who I have used for the past 10 years.

If you suspect any foundation issues, I have also included the name of an excellent engineer/inspector who specializes in this very critical area particularly.

Old 01-13-2008, 12:59 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
Please send recommendations via direct message. Thank You

Old 02-08-2009, 06:03 AM

3 posts, read 15,260 times
Default What did I get myself into

Bought a home with foundation problems and saw your post below. Do you still have the name of the engineer you referred to below?
Thanks my email address is cloud9plus@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4StanleyCups View Post
APNY, I will PM you the name of the extremely qualified and well-respected in the field home inspector who I have used for the past 10 years.

If you suspect any foundation issues, I have also included the name of an excellent engineer/inspector who specializes in this very critical area particularly.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:33 AM

12 posts, read 108,004 times
I also want to have the name of the inspector you recommend. Thanks. My email address is xuzhangxmu@hotmail.com.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
www.criterium-tauschercronacher (broken link) dot com

I was told 10 years ago, and last year that these guys are THE ONE. They inspected when we bought, were there for 3 hours, huge report and when we resold last year our Agent said "well if TC passed you 10 years ago, I have no worries about this inspection" I am told agents tremor a little when they hear TC is inspecting!

Good luck and CONGRATS

Is this a local company? When I buy my next house, I want that kind of quality also. Too many inspectors just push the sale through to get more referrals.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:00 PM

76 posts, read 137,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APNY View Post
for a Nassau County total renovation...

~ Do you need to hire your own inspector for a new construction/total renovation? (Someone said that, because of the CO's the builder has to get at every stage of the process, the house already gets inspected at every point before they'd issue another CO.)

~ Are there different inspectors if you're buying a $1.5M house versus a $400K house? A brand new versus old house?

~ Are inspectators and structural engineers synonomous in this situation?
No has answered your questions yet.

If you're buying a home you plan to demolish and start completely from scratch with a total new construction (i.e. brand new foundation, too), then bringing in an inspector is a waste of $$ since your plan is to just knock it all down anyway. If you are buying the house and you plan to completely knock it down (usually the house is sold 'as is' but check with your lawyer), oftentimes the village you are in will only make you get an asbestos inspection (totally different type of inspector) prior to demolition for obvious reasons, but that's it.

If you are completely gutting the house (total renovation) but keeping the foundation and any of the original structure then yes you should bring in inspectors and/or a structural engineer to check for damage to the foundation and the structure because you will be adding to what's already there and you want to make sure it's ok to build around.

Don't confuse the independent home/structural inspections before you're buying a house with the inspections that the village or town building inspector will perform as the construction progresses prior to getting a CO. The building inspector for the village/town will be very closely monitoring your construction project and has to perform many specific inspections along the way before they grant you a CO (e.g. when framing is done, when plumbing is complete, electrical, etc).

To my knowledge, an inspector is an inspector regardless of the price of the house, but they definitely vary in terms of quality. The building code in your village/town will not be different for a cheap versus expensive house.

Some inspectors are also structural engineers that specialize in foundations as well, but not all, so make sure you ask what the inspection includes. Expect to pay more for one that is also a structural engineer.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:29 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb11111 View Post
No has answered your questions yet.

If you're buying a home you plan to demolish and start completely from scratch with a total new construction (i.e. brand new foundation, too), then bringing in an inspector is a waste of $$ since your plan is to just knock it all down anyway. If you are buying the house and you plan to completely knock it down (usually the house is sold 'as is' but check with your lawyer), oftentimes the village you are in will only make you get an asbestos inspection (totally different type of inspector) prior to demolition for obvious reasons, but that's it.

If you are completely gutting the house (total renovation) but keeping the foundation and any of the original structure then yes you should bring in inspectors and/or a structural engineer to check for damage to the foundation and the structure because you will be adding to what's already there and you want to make sure it's ok to build around.

Don't confuse the independent home/structural inspections before you're buying a house with the inspections that the village or town building inspector will perform as the construction progresses prior to getting a CO. The building inspector for the village/town will be very closely monitoring your construction project and has to perform many specific inspections along the way before they grant you a CO (e.g. when framing is done, when plumbing is complete, electrical, etc).

To my knowledge, an inspector is an inspector regardless of the price of the house, but they definitely vary in terms of quality. The building code in your village/town will not be different for a cheap versus expensive house.

Some inspectors are also structural engineers that specialize in foundations as well, but not all, so make sure you ask what the inspection includes. Expect to pay more for one that is also a structural engineer.
Thank you, a well thought out reply. Finding a quality inspector that isn't relying on a realtor for their business is the challenge. We got taken on this condo and learned the hard way but want to make it better the next time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: