U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 09:03 AM

85 posts, read 73,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
You know, Skippy, none of can yet figure out the "glaring problem" you cite. You seem to be the only one to experience multiple near-death traffic experiences. And yet you can't seem to describe any of the situations or circumstances. Very strange.

And by the way, next time you get stopped by a cop -- any cop -- give him your take on the "...universal stupidity of the average unionized police officer who wouldn't last 10 minutes in a real policing environment." Make sure that someone is taking video of the encounter because it's sure to be very entertaining.

Your threats have been disregarded, but I will say that the first time they caught you hiding behind a fire department down in Virginia they would haul you in and fire you on the spot. That's real life, something unionized police offiers have a hard time grasping and the main reason we may have to do away with it on Long Island completely. Your veiled threats have no effect on me, I want the situation solved regardless of your feelings, as do 90 percent of the taxpayers of Nassau County. We will solve this problem, with you or without you will will solve it. If the county can utilize it's all-volunteer fire departments to high effectiveness it can certainly utilize an all-volunteer traffic enforcement department to the same degree of effectiveness. The answer appears to be simple; Do the job or it will be given to others to do... At which point we can slash the traffic enforcement portion of your budget down to zero dollars and zero cents.

Feel like doing that ticket writing thing yet?

Please submit A WORKING PLAN to solve this problem or all further posts will be dismissed as irrelevant to the discussion. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Great plan. Tell us all what your buddy Ed Mangano thinks of it. In fact, why don't you give Newsday and Channel 12 a call and offer them your solutions to this and all of the other crises you seem to be experiencing.

Should be very entertaining.

Does that sound like a working plan to solve the problem? Not only do you not seem to be able to perform the traffic enforcement portion of your job, you seem to have a comprehension and deductive logic deficit too.

1) Acknowledge the problem exists.

2) Devise a plan of action to rectify said problem.

3) Submit plan for consideration.

It's pretty simple really. Please follow the steps above and submit A WORKING PLAN OF SOLUTION for consideration on this issue. Thank you.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:24 AM

3,939 posts, read 4,315,691 times
Don't forget we have some "wonderful" drivers on this very board, threatening to tailgate people going the speed limit on highways, admitting to dangerous maneuvers, etc.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:33 AM

The following links should provide enough data to vanquish any doubt as to whether we have a traffic problem on Long Island or not. To say that you don't see this problem in your everyday life is to indicate that you should not be enforcing our traffic laws in Nassau County.

Study: Where does your city rank among the road-rageous?

Worst drivers in America by state - DailyFinance

The NY Metro area has THE WORST DRIVERS IN AMERICA and somehow none of you see this as you're driving your cars around here? Who's kidding who? One thing we know for certain, ENFORCEMENT IS THE ANSWER! Now we just have to come up with a plan to get the job done, but it would be a lot easier if our paid security force would at least acknowledge the problem exists no?

Old 08-14-2011, 10:42 AM

168 posts, read 168,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylander View Post
The following links should provide enough data to vanquish any doubt as to whether we have a traffic problem on Long Island or not. To say that you don't see this problem in your everyday life is to indicate that you should not be enforcing our traffic laws in Nassau County.

The NY Metro area has THE WORST DRIVERS IN AMERICA and somehow none of you see this as you're driving your cars around here? Who's kidding who? One thing we know for certain, ENFORCEMENT IS THE ANSWER! Now we just have to come up with a plan to get the job done, but it would be a lot easier if our paid security force would at least acknowledge the problem exists no?
The first link is about courteous driving in NYC and the second is about a 20 question test given out by an insurance company statewide lol hardly evidance of these life threatening problems that would threaten my life 12 times every few miles and definately not indicative of non-enforcement issues in one county.

I believe better traffic engineering is needed and would do far more to curb any aggresive driving than an increase in enforcement. We need more lanes, better entrance and exit ramps, better light timing coupled with realistic speed limits...Less stop signs, less unused bike lanes and better mass transit. kinda like most of the other cities in your studies already have.

At first I beleived you may have been the problem in your original post but now I am convinced that it was completely fictional and its only purpose was to give you a platform to attack NCPD because you hate that they make a livable wage on L.I. which allows them to live in a reasonable area in which they serve... perish the thought

Old 08-14-2011, 10:46 AM

851 posts, read 1,224,469 times
Quote:

as a casual observer to this thread, let me say that it's mostly a case of perception. Yes, the NCPD cannot be everywhere every minute, and like the rest of us are entitled to breaks during work.
However, if I'm riding my bicycle in Bethpage and see two NCPD cars hanging out behind the Campagne School for almost two hours on a weekday evening within 200 feet of cars driving 80 mph on the 135, my perception is that they are not staking third graders, they are goofing off.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacoupe View Post
The first link is about courteous driving in NYC and the second is about a 20 question test given out by an insurance company statewide lol hardly evidance of these life threatening problems that would threaten my life 12 times every few miles and definately not indicative of non-enforcement issues in one county.

I believe better traffic engineering is needed and would do far more to curb any aggresive driving than an increase in enforcement. We need more lanes, better entrance and exit ramps, better light timing coupled with realistic speed limits...Less stop signs, less unused bike lanes and better mass transit. kinda like most of the other cities in your studies already have.

At first I beleived you may have been the problem in your original post but now I am convinced that it was completely fictional and its only purpose was to give you a platform to attack NCPD because you hate that they make a livable wage on L.I. which allows them to live in a reasonable area in which they serve... perish the thought

So no matter what proof you're provided with it's not enough to make you think that enforcement is the problem... And then you launch into an attack tirade about me having an agenda against the police department? Listen, I was raised by an NYPD cop okay? That's how I KNOW the problem is enforcement. Next question...

The problem is not signs, or lanes, ramps... the problem is IDIOTS ON THE ROAD WITH NO FEAR and COPS WHO ARE NOT THERE TO STOP THEM. Please provide a workable plan in your next post or we will have no choice but to disregard your response. Thank you.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
as a casual observer to this thread, let me say that it's mostly a case of perception. Yes, the NCPD cannot be everywhere every minute, and like the rest of us are entitled to breaks during work.
However, if I'm riding my bicycle in Bethpage and see two NCPD cars hanging out behind the Campagne School for almost two hours on a weekday evening within 200 feet of cars driving 80 mph on the 135, my perception is that they are not staking third graders, they are goofing off.

Thank you, you're absolutely right, I've seen it myself. Now the question is WHY are they hanging out at the school, behind the fire department, and ignoring the speeders and reckless drivers on our streets? Are they just being lazy or are they being instructed to ignore the situation by higher ups? If they are being instructed to disregard the very dangerous and frequently lethal scenario our roads have now become then someone at the top needs to answer for this. We need a solution and we need a solution RIGHT NOW, not next week but RIGHT NOW. We're paying for it, we're supposed to get it, give it to us... I'm sick and tire of seeing animals control the environment in Nassau County. We're paying for Mayberry and we're getting the Bronx. Give us what we're supposed to be getting Mr. Commissioner or we well find a way to obtain it without you.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:14 AM

168 posts, read 168,608 times
Quote:
Listen, I was raised by an NYPD cop okay? That's how I KNOW the problem is enforcement. Next question...
That says your opinions are biased and you cannot see past what you've been TOLD. Your agenda is blatently more obvious than these life threatening traffic situations that you speak of.

*edit* Being raised by a cop does not an expert make*

Old 08-14-2011, 11:21 AM

13,830 posts, read 16,216,050 times
Quote:
There is another solution of course... and one we will probably have to eventually take if our resident police officers on this board are any indication of what to expect on our roads; We may, and probably will, have to end unionized policing in Nassau County permanently...

Rather than having unionized cops who refuse to do this and refuse to do that, the county can open the policing services to competitive bid and take offers from security firms across the United States. This will save the county millions upon millions of dollars per quarter and give the county the muscle it needs to force the policing agency to comply with it's contract. If after one year the county does not feel the current policing firm is fulfilling it's obligation it can simply not renew the contract and re-open the services to outside bid once again. No more will the county have to pay medical, dental, sick days, retirement, or anything else the current unionized officers takes for granted. I assure you that if a firm was brought in from out of state to do this job under competitive bid they would do it far more efficiently for half the price (perhaps even less than half the price) of the current bloated nonresponsive system.

So it's up to you cops, do your job or out you go... We don't need YOU, you need US. Never forget that. Here's your ticket book, and here's your pen... Now go get 'em, or else.
Look at the corruption involved in handing out contracts.
Look at the boneheads working security in the airports.
Place low wage employees with badges and guns on the street.
What do you think the end result is?

Nassau currently enjoys one of the lowest crime rates. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

It stinks if you have idiot drivers, but that needs to be addressed where it starts -- DMV -- if you want to be proactive. Ratcheting up policing levels or overhauling the NCPD is reactive and knee jerk.

Increase testing difficulty, allow fewer points to fail. Mandate that all potential licensees have driving lessons. If someone is caught unlicensed -- jail, fine, seizure of vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island