Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:06 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Nice pipedream.
Well you're consistent, I'll give you that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 01:30 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I still would advise against it (youth staying on LI). Go to NYC, Austin, Boston, Raleigh, Ann Arbor...etc. Get some roomates, have a blast. You can come back to LI to raise a family and get fat and old later, assuming any businesses or jobs are still here.
Sound advice there. I realized that I had a bleak future on LI and moved out of my parents house when I was 26 back in the 90's. I went to Ann Arbor and it was great to have my own apartment, a new car and extra cash to save or go out, etc. We had it made and those were the best times, looking back. I worked in the auto industry which was booming back then. I was in the right place at the right time.

I am now fortunate to call Austin home, with a 7 year stint in Manhattan in between MI and TX. LI is great, don't get me wrong. I am not here to bash, it is a great place if you have the means. But get out if you feel you need to, you can always go back. Well, I can at least

Old 08-15-2011, 03:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
IF you work in the city then there is no point. I work in suffolk county. IF you work in suffolk county then you can find cheaper housing on long island.

I got my condo for $155k. Also patchogue just approved the 4 corners project and has the artist condos that just opened up.

So if you dont have to travel out to queens everyday you can find cheaper housing in suffolk .
Exactly. Not everyone on LI is compelled to work in Manhattan or any of the other boroughs. Perhaps more folks in Nassau do as opposed to Suffolk by virtue of proximity.

There is reasonably priced housing to be had here. There is entertainment, art galleries, theater. Public transportation stinks, though. To each his or her own.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You could try Westchester County , there really trying to attract the Younger Generations with a County wide Transit plan , bike lanes , Urban Renewal plan for its Cities and its working so far White Plains , New Rochelle , Mount Vernon , and Yonkers have all grown steadily...over the past decade... New Jersey is making all its current and future Transit / Rail communities Transit Orinated with Walkable towns , the program has been in place since the 80s and is very successful. Long Island has very little Urban pockets to make attractive...
My cousin's family left Mount Vernon when he became one of the few remaining white kids in school; he beaten up in school for his good grades. I dealt with a racist neighbor on LI casting me out of the playgroup because I was Hispanic -- but that was only one idiot adult picking on a child. I couldn't imagine what it was like to be my cousin in school getting roughed up on a daily basis.

Urban renewal is sorely needed in some of the aforementioned areas as they have become rather rough around the edges. In the less rough sections of Westchester, it can start getting expensive -- I don't know whether it translates into much of a savings over LI (except for a better commute via Metro North.)

Old 08-15-2011, 07:12 PM

173 posts, read 360,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Exactly. Not everyone on LI is compelled to work in Manhattan or any of the other boroughs. Perhaps more folks in Nassau do as opposed to Suffolk by virtue of proximity.

There is reasonably priced housing to be had here. There is entertainment, art galleries, theater. Public transportation stinks, though. To each his or her own.
Are you serious about the "reasonably priced housing" umm ok?! Even if you find something that doesn't seem out of sight, just wait to you see the taxes!!!

Get as far away from LI as you can... You will be glad you did...

Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 PM

62 posts, read 113,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylander View Post
History? Really? Where in this vast industrial zone is our history? Where is our art? Where are our scenic routes and sites that people the world over want to visit and pay homage to? Face it, if there was any beauty on Long Island it was killed by industry and humans long ago. Long Island is not about sightseeing and getting in touch with nature, its' about WORK and INDUSTRY and STRIP MALLS and HOME DEPOT and any other droll workaday thing you want to talk about but it isn't about art or beauty or anything resembling that which is good for the soul... Deal with it or LEAVE.
here is a poem i wrote 4 u since u say long island has no art

o island of gifted children
highly desiarable school districts
home depot loews bed bath&beyond tanger outlets

how many cash4gold stores can ur turnpikes hold
how many minds will ur regents exams expel towards a SUNY college
how many illegal immigrants will ur flophouses open their arms warmly towards

a neighborhood full of hopscotch
a neighborhood full of LIES
here's a strip mall instead of st. peter's yeah yeah yeah yeah

youth lacrosse
shopping mall
volvo suv

on a pretty weaving lane there sits a hi-ranch house
covered in ms-13 graffiti
it is wont to provide the semblance of upper middle class lifestyles
but the windows are boarded up now
anchored to a jet age dream
never gonna be a hi-ranch house now
never gonna have a perfect lawn

Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
there's art and culture on LI- more than a dozen galleries, art leagues, two good museums, etc.

it's not just a bedroom community- that's such an idiotic thought which is why the Island has the problem it goes. 3 million people situated a LONG way away from NYC's economic base, is NOT a suburb of one city.

LI just refuses to 'urbanize', and power to it for it- but be prepared to see the consequences through.

Soon to be a land of rich and poor, without a hockey team. lol

Old 08-16-2011, 06:52 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
TOH Board of Appeals rejects license for Industry nightclub. "can't have those damn kids drinking and dancing." It's like Footloose revisited.

Another boarded up business on Hempstead Turnpike thanks to pathetic nimbyism and a Gestapo building department.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:26 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
TOH Board of Appeals rejects license for Industry nightclub. "can't have those damn kids drinking and dancing." It's like Footloose revisited.

Another boarded up business on Hempstead Turnpike thanks to pathetic nimbyism and a Gestapo building department.
wow, when did that happen?

Old 08-16-2011, 11:44 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extra300 View Post
Are you serious about the "reasonably priced housing" umm ok?! Even if you find something that doesn't seem out of sight, just wait to you see the taxes!!!

Get as far away from LI as you can... You will be glad you did...
You obviously have not looked . The sachem school district has low taxes. Basically from the sachem district east has low taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island