U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2011, 09:10 AM
 
54 posts, read 259,652 times
Reputation: 67

Advertisements

I'm in my 20's, single, have an alright job and live with my parents

I'm contemplating moving into the city where there's more action, better dating scene and where the taxes aren't as deadly.

My parents are begging me to stay on LI but I feel there's nothing here for me, it seems like there is only room for middle/upper class families and their children here. Heck, even most of the new apartments nowadays are Senior Citizen only so young adults are really out of place.

Has anybody ever been a young adult living on the island past 2000? How did you make do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2011, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Out in the stix
1,586 posts, read 2,427,888 times
Reputation: 999
Tough place as a young adult trying to strikeout on his or her own, rents are out of sight!!!! City rents are high too though, tough to have a car in manhattan as well with the parking scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 04:42 PM
 
1,615 posts, read 3,080,944 times
Reputation: 1109
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheIslanders50 View Post

My parents are begging me to stay on LI but I feel there's nothing here for me
There's your answer. You have to live your own life. New York is a dinosaur. Strike out into the real world of more freedom and less taxes where you can be successful, comfortable, and happy. Don't fall for the old Long Island rhetoric that this is it and every other place is backwards. Long Island was surpassed long ago. Your ancestors moved out here to get away. It was nice for awhile but they wrecked it and the government fleeced it for all it was worth. Time to strike out, blaze a path, and make something of your future.
Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 05:02 PM
 
85 posts, read 131,769 times
Reputation: 66
It's a very good idea. NYC has a lot going for it, it has culture and history and quite a few interesting places to go and people to meet. Long Island is merely a bedroom community of the city. Tell me where is the art on Long Island? Where is our history? What do we have to offer the world beyond Joey Buttafuoco, Amy Fisher, and Lindsay Lohan? You're right to think that Long Island has nothing to offer you kid, because it doesn't... and it won't when you get older either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,668,875 times
Reputation: 7175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylander View Post
It's a very good idea. NYC has a lot going for it, it has culture and history and quite a few interesting places to go and people to meet. Long Island is merely a bedroom community of the city. Tell me where is the art on Long Island? Where is our history? What do we have to offer the world beyond Joey Buttafuoco, Amy Fisher, and Lindsay Lohan? You're right to think that Long Island has nothing to offer you kid, because it doesn't... and it won't when you get older either.
Our history is all over the Island. If you would pull your head out of the tabloids and quit kvetching about the police, you would find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,685 posts, read 27,668,875 times
Reputation: 7175
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheIslanders50 View Post
I'm in my 20's, single, have an alright job and live with my parents

I'm contemplating moving into the city where there's more action, better dating scene and where the taxes aren't as deadly.

My parents are begging me to stay on LI but I feel there's nothing here for me, it seems like there is only room for middle/upper class families and their children here. Heck, even most of the new apartments nowadays are Senior Citizen only so young adults are really out of place.

Has anybody ever been a young adult living on the island past 2000? How did you make do?
You have to take the leap which is best for you. It certainly is not easy being a young single person here. Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 06:23 PM
 
939 posts, read 1,557,975 times
Reputation: 506
Not quite understanding why any parents would beg their children to stay. I'm with the crowd that can't wait til the kids move out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 07:30 PM
 
85 posts, read 131,769 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Our history is all over the Island. If you would pull your head out of the tabloids and quit kvetching about the police, you would find it.
History? Really? Where in this vast industrial zone is our history? Where is our art? Where are our scenic routes and sites that people the world over want to visit and pay homage to? Face it, if there was any beauty on Long Island it was killed by industry and humans long ago. Long Island is not about sightseeing and getting in touch with nature, its' about WORK and INDUSTRY and STRIP MALLS and HOME DEPOT and any other droll workaday thing you want to talk about but it isn't about art or beauty or anything resembling that which is good for the soul... Deal with it or LEAVE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 07:33 PM
 
939 posts, read 1,557,975 times
Reputation: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylander View Post
History? Really? Where in this vast industrial zone is our history? Where is our art? Where are our scenic routes and sites that people the world over want to visit and pay homage to? Face it, if there was any beauty on Long Island it was killed by industry and humans long ago. Long Island is not about sightseeing and getting in touch with nature, its' about WORK and INDUSTRY and STRIP MALLS and HOME DEPOT and any other droll workaday thing you want to talk about but it isn't about art or beauty or anything resembling that which is good for the soul... Deal with it or LEAVE.
This sounds like one long rant running over from the "traffic armageddon" thread. You really need to start looking at a half-full glass. Or maybe start a round of meds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 PM
 
54 posts, read 259,652 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylander View Post
It's a very good idea. NYC has a lot going for it, it has culture and history and quite a few interesting places to go and people to meet. Long Island is merely a bedroom community of the city. Tell me where is the art on Long Island? Where is our history? What do we have to offer the world beyond Joey Buttafuoco, Amy Fisher, and Lindsay Lohan? You're right to think that Long Island has nothing to offer you kid, because it doesn't... and it won't when you get older either.
Very true, man.

Whenever there is a project that happens to be high density, it is voted against or scaled down immensely like that thing in Central Islip. Look at the original Lighthouse Project proposal, that Brentwood redevelopment thing, all of those things had the potential to help keep a lot of younger people but it was turned down. NJ and CT are smart, I read a thread here where somebody posted pics of high density apartment units being built near their transit stations to help bring affordable housing to younger people.

So, if I want to stay in Long Island then I either have to live with my mom and dad and sneak women in my bedroom when i'm 35; get lucky and find a unfinished garage for rent in Wyandanch or a shed in Central Islip or or pay 2/3rds of my income for an overpriced apartment IF I'M LUCKY TO FIND ONE.

Long Island has a very large aging population and one day Long Island will be sorry for neglecting their 20's population since they will have a shortage of medical staff and others. Long Islanders need to get their priorities straight, either deal with passing by and looking at something over 3 floors or have a severe labor shortage which is happening in 3rd world countries where the young educated people are leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top