Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 AM

426 posts, read 959,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Being that this is my area I probably can give you the best advice. There is plenty of shopping, as well as traffic. But it is central to everything. As far as neighborhoods go, Carle Place is nice, fairly blue collar area. Garden City is very nice but expensive. Westbury used to be nice but is going downhill, mainly in the vicinity of Post Ave and east. There's a large illegal alien problem in this area that extends down Union into New Cassel. Often there are guys loitering around and getting drunk, its at its worst at night. Many stores in the area gear to these illegals. They are always hanging out in the bushes at the Piazza at Post + Maple (I have to go past this lovely area almost every day).
Westbury is nicer north of the parkway, and especially west of Ellison Ave. Thats because west of Ellison is Carle Place schools. Home prices are much higher there and its much more desirable. East of Ellison is Westbury schools, which is why it's much less desirable. You can take a guess where most of the Westbury Village board lives
Mineola is also nice off of Glen Cove Rd.
Its a shame what has happened to Westbury, which is where I live. I will be moving out most likely by the end of the year, as my rent is being raised too much. Many rentals here have their rents raised so they can put more illegals in, since they'll stuff 20 guys into a house which used to be divided into 2 or 3 apts. Basically they rent so high that people cant afford it except to stuff men in what used to be a 1 or 2br apt.
Wow, thanks for all of that info.....I did not know Westbury was going downhill like that with the illegal alien problem.....I always thought Westbury was somewhat of an affluent area, since it borders Carle Place/Mineola and Old Westbury, which are very nice areas.

I was actually looking at apts along Post Ave near the LIRR, guess I won't do that now!...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Wow, thanks for all of that info.....I did not know Westbury was going downhill like that with the illegal alien problem.....I always thought Westbury was somewhat of an affluent area, since it borders Carle Place/Mineola and Old Westbury, which are very nice areas.

I was actually looking at apts along Post Ave near the LIRR, guess I won't do that now!...
Like I said the side of town thats in the Carle Place school district (west of Ellison) esp north of the pkwy is very affluent. But yeah Post Ave is going downhill fast. I am disgusted with the village. The loitering problem gets worse every month it seems, with the men hanging out at all hours of day and night. There's a bodega right by the train station and they flock to it like moths to a flame (I think its called 7 heven).
We have code enforcement cars driving down all the time but they do nothing. It's so agrivating! Thats why I'm throwing in the towel and moving out. No apts on the Carle Place SD side either.
You have to remember just because an area borders an affluent neighborhood doesn't neccesarily mean its going to be nice. Whats happened in Westbury is the landlords use that location, close to an affluent area, to steer all the illegal workers that do the landscaping and construction in. It is located close to where they work. You should see the parades of day laborers on bikes coming back from Old Westbury and Garden City into Westbury at night!
Those apts you speak of right by the LIRR (in those new buildings) do have doormen, but once you set foot outside you have to see the guys with backpacks hanging around and gettin' drunk (and that one bldg at the corner is right across from the 7 Heven bodega). Thats the problem, no one wants to move here (cant blame 'em) and many are leaving. What's left will be all illegals. Post Ave will look like Union Ave in New Cassel in just a few years.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:34 PM

222 posts, read 892,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post

Logical95,

Do your own homework...John has been on this rant for years. I will agree that areas east and north of the parkway are the most affluent; its not even close to as "bad" as john makes it appear. It's quite laughable...check the the income and crime stats....Westbury Village has a total crime risk of like 2 or 3....when the national average is 100. There are less desirable areas particularly along Union Ave in New Cassel, but even there is a far cry from any NYC urban ghetto. See for yourself....

Old 08-30-2011, 10:47 AM

322 posts, read 937,346 times
Depending on what you are looking for, anywhere in the Carle Place school district is a decent place to live. This includes all of Carle Place, parts of Westbury west of Ellison Ave between Old Country Rd and Jericho turnpike, and parts of Mineola between Glen cove Rd and Park Ave. (East to West) and between Westbury Ave and Jericho Turnpike (South to North).
Unfortunately, if you are looking to rent, there are only a handful of affordable apartment buildings/complexes to live. You may have to rent a legal/illegal apartment out of a private home.
If you prefer walkable amenities vs driving wherever you have to go, I suggest living in the Hamlet of Carle Place or in Westbury (within CP school district).

Old 08-31-2011, 12:40 PM

428 posts, read 969,794 times
That's our FAVORITE area of L.I. Love love love it there if we could afford it. *Sigh* Have you seen the houses adjacent to Roosevelt Field mall (by the school right near there)? *adore*

Old 08-31-2011, 12:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Carle Place isn't bad, though.
By the way, just to clarify, by "not bad", I mean it's pretty nice, not just an area that you'd settle for if you can't afford a nicer area.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:59 PM

428 posts, read 969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
By the way, just to clarify, by "not bad", I mean it's pretty nice, not just an area that you'd settle for if you can't afford a nicer area.
So, what would be an area that you'd settle for if you can't afford nicer (safe, clean though)?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:06 AM

322 posts, read 937,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
That's our FAVORITE area of L.I. Love love love it there if we could afford it. *Sigh* Have you seen the houses adjacent to Roosevelt Field mall (by the school right near there)? *adore*
North or South of the railroad?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:14 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Do you mean Stewart School? THe traffic over there is insane, trust me you wouldn't want to live there. That's Garden City if that's where you are talking about.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,126,600 times
Quote:
So, what would be an area that you'd settle for if you can't afford nicer (safe, clean though)?
Maybe parts of Mineola, East Meadow or Hicksville.

For the record, I live in NYC, so my standards are probably lower than those of people from LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island