U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-15-2011, 08:53 AM

10 posts, read 19,233 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I'm finally getting the key to my new house in new hyde park today. I was wondering what's everyone's advice on cutting over the utility with the previous owner. Should I call the utility company beforehand and setup an account? or should I do it on site with the previous owner and have it switch under my name.

I believe the gas and electricity company for the area is:
National Grid
LIPA
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 AM

9,125 posts, read 10,699,724 times
You're just doing this now?!

Call the utilities ASAP. The sellers probably already called to get the utilities out of their name. You're going to be without gas and electric (and water) if you don't call.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:23 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,556,308 times
Call now, you'll probably be OK with gas and electric. Phone and television service may be interupted.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:32 PM

264 posts, read 523,993 times
Default Utilities

Call LIPA at 1-800-490-0025 today! This should have been done last week and the previous owners may have already called. It should be a smooth transition with the account staying open but names changed. Now service may be disconnected, but hopefully not.
LIPA should be able to give you the Keyspan info you need as well.
Phone will have to be a new account anyway.
Good luck!!!

Old 08-15-2011, 02:09 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,174,047 times
Easy to do, just a phone call. I doub't that the (utilities) will get out there to shut everything off. After yesterdays storm, they've got better things to do. They generally assume that someone is coming in right after them anyway.
As for phone and cable, another phone call, but it will be off when you get there I'm sure. Congrats and good luck.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,444,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyftw View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm finally getting the key to my new house in new hyde park today. I was wondering what's everyone's advice on cutting over the utility with the previous owner. Should I call the utility company beforehand and setup an account? or should I do it on site with the previous owner and have it switch under my name.

I believe the gas and electricity company for the area is:
National Grid
LIPA
You've probably already called and found out you need to have your meters read when you call. You can do this yourself if the meters are visible, like the electric and natural gas. Our water meter is in the sidewalk here...unlike upstate where it can be in the basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island