Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:28 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times

Advertisements

Wow, just wow.
Ok, so they propose such a huge increase so everyone can agree on a middle ground and go from $8 to $12 and not $15 and be happy about it ?

This is nuts !! Will be waiting for the veto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
The good thing is they will only be charging tolls on all the bridges until they collect enough money to cover the costs of building them. Shouldn't be too much longer now...

Old 08-16-2011, 09:15 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
The good thing is they will only be charging tolls on all the bridges until they collect enough money to cover the costs of building them. Shouldn't be too much longer now...
Please that was a lie as it was spoken, the bond law had already been changed at that point to allow the toll revenue to fund other 'projects' that would be a boon to the bridges thus supplying additional revenue.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:16 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
I would love to see the MTA books and see where all this toll money goes. I believe I read that the GWB alone has 500,000 cars a day crossing it(In bound). Thats a lot of cash, daily.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:20 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
lol, You forgot this --> ""

The greed runs thick. Talk about price-gouging monopolistic behavior...

sickening.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 AM

186 posts, read 734,581 times
Default Crazy

"Outrageous" is the only word that comes to mind. I guess they don't care what commuters and citizens have to go through to pay through their nose for their daily commute! Looks like PATH trains are also hiking fees, only a matter of time before the Subway/LIRR fares are hiked yet again!!!!

Here are some details:

Hudson Tolls Would Rise $4 Under New York-New Jersey Port Authority

Old 08-16-2011, 09:43 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Please that was a lie as it was spoken, the bond law had already been changed at that point to allow the toll revenue to fund other 'projects' that would be a boon to the bridges thus supplying additional revenue.
Oh, I thought it was real...

Old 08-16-2011, 10:13 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
What is real is that toll $$$ does go towards everything but the bridges. This is supposed to be a 10 year plan ? HA... you will have another 10 year plan next year that will hit you in the you know what, and then another plan in 2013 etc....
Why can't companies just move from manhattan across the river to NJ and do business ? I mean I know they can, whats preventing them from doing it now ?
I hear UBS is coming back.... wow so much talent in NYC refusing to move !!

Once that happens, I would like to see threads on here asking "Ideas on Commute from East Suffolk to Piscataway avoiding tolls"

Old 08-16-2011, 01:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Wow, just wow.
Ok, so they propose such a huge increase so everyone can agree on a middle ground and go from $8 to $12 and not $15 and be happy about it ?

This is nuts !! Will be waiting for the veto.
The cash toll would go up to $15, but the EZ-Pass toll would only go to $12.

The thing is that some of the crossings have no alternatives (you have to drive. You can't take a bus or train), so there's a captive audience.

And even on the bridges/tunnels that do have alternatives, they don't work for a lot of people. Sure, you can take a bus across the GW Bridge if you work in Manhattan or the western Bronx (just transfer to a subway or bus), but you pretty much have to drive if you're going to New England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I would love to see the MTA books and see where all this toll money goes. I believe I read that the GWB alone has 500,000 cars a day crossing it(In bound). Thats a lot of cash, daily.
1) It's the Port Authority doing this, not the MTA.

2) Both agencies use the surplus from the bridges to subsidize transit and their projects (the Port Authority is using the toll money to subsidize the new World Trade Center site, and originally used it to fund the old one)

3) The MTA had their books checked twice, and they didn't find anything either time. (And the politician who accused them was later found guilty of his own scandal later on)

Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 PM

152 posts, read 155,935 times
This is one of main reasons im moving out of ny. If you like to drive in ny, you're screwed.
Im surprised more people don't complain about the toll prices. They've doubled in price in 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island