U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2011, 02:16 PM
 
1,917 posts, read 3,035,043 times
Reputation: 752

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Play the game -- what would you do?
I would live in N Shirley because it's in Longwood SD.

That said, this entire topic is laughable. I drive around Selden/Centereach and fail to see how these places are "Better" than Shirley. I lived in Setauket and am familar with the entire stretch of 25 (25A as well) and frankly, I hate it. I avoid it at all costs.
N Shirley is very much a middle class neighborhood. Many "Desirable" people moved there during the boom and are still there. They moved to Shirley because they wanted to own a home and didn't think paying a half-a-mil for a house in PJ made any sense. I happen to agree with them.
N Shirley has no center; there's very little shopping, the library, post office, hardware store, etc are SOMEPLACE else.
South Shirley has, IMO, more questionable areas but it's easy to avoid these places.

N Bellport really should not be compared to Shirley. For one, N Bellport is pretty small by comparisson and the N Bellport that people really hear/know about is truly horrible. Problem is, it's a very small area and people WHO DON'T LIVE IN BELLPORT OR THE SURROUNDING AREA fail to understand that a couple square miles does not make the town. N Bellport is scary to the people that aren't from the area. I wouldn't live in N Bellport though.

What I find humerous about CD is after everyone identifies all of the "Great" areas they can't affford to live in, whats left is...everything else. Most people who live in these neighborhoods are quite happy, much to your dismay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2011, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Suffolk County, NY
1,139 posts, read 1,191,390 times
Reputation: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
If anything North Bellport(between Sunrise and Montauk) should be compared with Mastic Beach.

As for your question, I would probably prefer North Bellport (since i'm a minority) and wouldn't want to feel out of place.

Understandable. Even I would consider N Bellport over here sometimes, and I am NOT a minority...Although I would be their lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2011, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
13,940 posts, read 16,654,527 times
Reputation: 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
If anything North Bellport(between Sunrise and Montauk) should be compared with Mastic Beach.

As for your question, I would probably prefer North Bellport (since i'm a minority) and wouldn't want to feel out of place.

If you're the type of person who keeps their home/yard presentable, why should you feel out of place in Shirley? Why would you accept living in an area which has issues (violence, guns, drugs) because of your being a minority? You wouldn't be out of place in Stony Brook or Setauket. It stinks that in 2011 race is still a consideration in some areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2011, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Suffolk County, NY
1,139 posts, read 1,191,390 times
Reputation: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
N Bellport really should not be compared to Shirley. For one, N Bellport is pretty small by comparisson and the N Bellport that people really hear/know about is truly horrible. Problem is, it's a very small area and people WHO DON'T LIVE IN BELLPORT OR THE SURROUNDING AREA fail to understand that a couple square miles does not make the town. N Bellport is scary to the people that aren't from the area. I wouldn't live in N Bellport though.

What I find humerous about CD is after everyone identifies all of the "Great" areas they can't affford to live in, whats left is...everything else. Most people who live in these neighborhoods are quite happy, much to your dismay.

Exactly..I am saying that either area is doable and you are not going to get shot upon entering it like people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2011, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
13,940 posts, read 16,654,527 times
Reputation: 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
I would live in N Shirley because it's in Longwood SD.


N Bellport really should not be compared to Shirley. For one, N Bellport is pretty small by comparisson and the N Bellport that people really hear/know about is truly horrible. Problem is, it's a very small area and people WHO DON'T LIVE IN BELLPORT OR THE SURROUNDING AREA fail to understand that a couple square miles does not make the town. N Bellport is scary to the people that aren't from the area. I wouldn't live in N Bellport though.
1) If schools weren't important, would that change your choice?

2) Given that you feel it's not bad to those in the know, why wouldn't you live in North Bellport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2011, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Suffolk County, NY
1,139 posts, read 1,191,390 times
Reputation: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
1) If schools weren't important, would that change your choice?

2) Given that you feel it's not bad to those in the know, why wouldn't you live in North Bellport?

Exactly my question, also as I said before - North Bellport North of sunrise is perfectly fine. Looks like anywhere in Medford. Middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
13,940 posts, read 16,654,527 times
Reputation: 4754
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Exactly my question, also as I said before - North Bellport North of sunrise is perfectly fine. Looks like anywhere in Medford. Middle class.
It has been a little while since I have been over that way -- north of Sunrise, isn't that close to the landfill? I remember driving to and from work via Sunrise years ago and somewhere around Bellport there was the landfill smell. That would be the only downside to that pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2011, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Suffolk County, NY
1,139 posts, read 1,191,390 times
Reputation: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It has been a little while since I have been over that way -- north of Sunrise, isn't that close to the landfill? I remember driving to and from work via Sunrise years ago and somewhere around Bellport there was the landfill smell. That would be the only downside to that pocket.

yes. I drive sunrise every morning the landfill smell is between exits 57 and 56 (bellport exit is 56)...So I guess your right on that being the only downside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2011, 02:29 PM
 
Location: now nyc
1,460 posts, read 2,078,290 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Just curious as to which you all would prefer living in (if you had to) seeing as the house prices are both cheap as hell compared to the rest of LI.

I am very familiar with both areas so I know the good and bad spots of both. Quite honestly even the "horrible" area of Bellport between Sunrise and Mountauk that people say to avoid like the plague - has some fine areas. Also north of sunrise by the outlets are fine middle class areas. Not to mention you then have Bellport Village which is beautiful and upscale.

Shirley just pretty much needs help all over...But also fine if single and dont need to worry about schools. ( I have lived here for a long time and never had any problems) but the area is still known as the hole of LI.

Thoughts? opinions?
I don't think I answered the thread fully.

In terms of quality of life, I would say that Shirley is better.

North Bellport is known for having higher crime. A lot of low cost housing is being built which I have nothing against but when kids are from broken homes/low-income families, they are more likely to be bad influences (obviously not all the time, key word: more likely). It has illegal alien issues according to many of the residents; just not a pleasant place to live. Shirley has William Floyd Pkwy, which has better shopping. A large shopping plaza in NB shut down, it's located off of the LIE.

The Schools seem to be on the same level in both areas, according to Greatschools.org.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2011, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Suffolk County, NY
1,139 posts, read 1,191,390 times
Reputation: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I don't think I answered the thread fully.

In terms of quality of life, I would say that Shirley is better.

North Bellport is known for having higher crime. A lot of low cost housing is being built which I have nothing against but when kids are from broken homes/low-income families, they are more likely to be bad influences (obviously not all the time, key word: more likely). It has illegal alien issues according to many of the residents; just not a pleasant place to live. Shirley has William Floyd Pkwy, which has better shopping. A large shopping plaza in NB shut down, it's located off of the LIE.

The Schools seem to be on the same level in both areas, according to Greatschools.org.

The Expressway Never touches any part of North Bellport, I think you are talking about the Bellport Outlets that are on both the north and south sides of Sunrise Highway (route 27)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top