U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,992,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
For those not familiar with Walter lol.

Upton, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sorry, Crooks: Wikipedia is incorrect because according to the Suffolk County Planning Department there is no city, village or hamlet named "Upton".
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 10:16 PM

4,768 posts, read 2,252,679 times
Quote:
For those not familiar with Walter lol.

Upton, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BNL was founded in 1947 and was given a surplus piece of Federal property called Camp Upton. This explains why it had its own mailstop. I spent 15 years on the scientific staff and was there for nearly 5 years as a graduate student so I got to know the place very well. One of Camp Upton's most famous doughboys was Irving Berlin who wrote a musical called "Yip Yip Yaphank".

Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,498,061 times
It's very piney

Old 08-22-2011, 11:49 PM

254 posts, read 307,979 times
Wrong on my part, The part of Yaphank I was thinking of is the north part I suppose (north of I-495) that section is part of Longwood CSD. I didn't realize that Yaphank went that far south. sorry about that

Old 08-23-2011, 06:01 AM

7,658 posts, read 11,147,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
BNL was founded in 1947 and was given a surplus piece of Federal property called Camp Upton. This explains why it had its own mailstop. I spent 15 years on the scientific staff and was there for nearly 5 years as a graduate student so I got to know the place very well. One of Camp Upton's most famous doughboys was Irving Berlin who wrote a musical called "Yip Yip Yaphank".
Precisely.

Its certainly not Ridge.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:05 AM

7,658 posts, read 11,147,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Sorry, Crooks: Wikipedia is incorrect because according to the Suffolk County Planning Department there is no city, village or hamlet named "Upton".
Tell the Feds that and ask them if they give a rats ash about what Suffolk thinks.

If youre going with Yaphank,Id buy that.

Last edited by Crookhaven; 08-23-2011 at 06:18 AM..

Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Tell the Feds that and ask them if they give a rats ash about what Suffolk thinks.;)
The Census Bureau certainly does, because they, too, have no city, village or hamlet named "Upton".

Quote:
If youre going with Yaphank,Id buy that.
Thank you.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 PM

4,768 posts, read 2,252,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The Census Bureau certainly does, because they, too, have no city, village or hamlet named "Upton".

Thank you.

At any given time serveral hundred people live on the BNL Lab site. I spent 4 years in a guest house/dorm named Cavendish House, others are named Fleming, Compton and Curie (Women only). There is also single or married housing in duplexs and single family dwellings. These are intended for short term occupancy of one year or less and house guests and visiting scientists. The are also available for new hires to use until they get a residence off site. Now I used mail and it was addressed Upton NY, 11973. I had a NY Drivers License with that address and registered to vote and cast a ballot at the precinct that votes at the Ridge Fire House up on NY 25. Kids of school age living on the BNL site go to Longwood Schools and I know BNL has a separate phone exchange out of the Yaphank NYNEX center.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Now I used mail and it was addressed Upton NY, 11973. I had a NY Drivers License with that address and registered to vote and cast a ballot at the precinct that votes at the Ridge Fire House up on NY 25. Kids of school age living on the BNL site go to Longwood Schools and I know BNL has a separate phone exchange out of the Yaphank NYNEX center.

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 3 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island