Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 02:37 PM

9,923 posts, read 23,055,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Select your attorney carefully and get a REAL ESTATE attorney, not your uncles' nephew who does wills and estates and then have faith in him. A good real estate attorney is worth their weight in GOLD.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 02:42 PM

22 posts, read 173,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm also not being snippy (hard to convey tone here) but it doesn't sound like you are ready to buy a home. I realize this is a buyer's market, but it's really not fair to the other players involved to drag your feet now. How long do you plan to hold the contract up? Sounds like you have buyer's remorse already!
You can not really say we are dragging our feet if you dont know the full details about this purchase. We are not holding the contract up because we havent even seen it . I was only inquiring if it was OK to take it home and re-review. Did I say that I wanted to take it home and let it sit for a week? No. So dont assume.

I guess we arent the types to give our attorneys and medical professionals blind faith.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:52 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,208,465 times
Default Things you might want to think about ...

... instead of setting the closing date "on or about MONTH DAY, YEAR" set it "on or before MONTH DAY, YEAR." Reason being, if it says "or about" the Seller can drag out the closing date an additional 30 days, so if you're ready to move on the closing date (gave notice to landlord, etc.), you get screwed because you have nowhere to go and the Seller gets away with it. (PS: IF you choose "before" instead of "about" make sure YOU will be ready to move on that day and won't need delays!)

... make your closing contingent on the house being empty and whatever is staying staying (appliances, etc.) or whatever needs to be hauled away, hauled; plus that the house is totally unoccupied (so you don't buy the house and have to evict either the Sellers or their tenant) on a MORNING inspection of the house with an AFTERNOON closing. This way you know everything is in order and as promised at the house you are buying before you go and sign the contract instead of finding a mess afterwards.

... if the Seller wants to close, but still wants temporary possession of the house (they are not ready to move into their next house, etc.) I would be very wary of doing this because more often than not it will cause you trouble. Don't let them make their problems yours.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:38 PM

22,629 posts, read 36,582,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
... instead of setting the closing date "on or about MONTH DAY, YEAR" set it "on or before MONTH DAY, YEAR." Reason being, if it says "or about" the Seller can drag out the closing date an additional 30 days, so if you're ready to move on the closing date (gave notice to landlord, etc.), .
Well, the sellers have an attorney too - my attorney asked if we were ok with "on or before June 30" and we were not. We had "on or about June 30" and closed on 7/22.

But that's what your attorney is getting paid for, right.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:40 PM

22,629 posts, read 36,582,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSCL View Post
You can not really say we are dragging our feet if you dont know the full details about this purchase. We are not holding the contract up because we havent even seen it . .
I don't know all the details because you haven't provided them Nor did you say "we want to look at it and we'll send it back the next day".

You should be able to look it over in the attorney's office....they aren't that difficult to understand. Mostly boilerplate language.

And as pp said - make sure you use a real estate attorney.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:17 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,730,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
... instead of setting the closing date "on or about MONTH DAY, YEAR" set it "on or before MONTH DAY, YEAR." Reason being, if it says "or about" the Seller can drag out the closing date an additional 30 days, so if you're ready to move on the closing date (gave notice to landlord, etc.), you get screwed because you have nowhere to go and the Seller gets away with it. (PS: IF you choose "before" instead of "about" make sure YOU will be ready to move on that day and won't need delays!)

This could backfire if you are not ready to close by that date. Most delays today are because of the buyer. Banks are taking longer and longer to approve mortgages.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:18 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,730,584 times
To reply to the OP's original question. Take all the time that you want to review the contract and get comfortable with it. You are the one who has to live with it once it is signed. Understand completely what you are signing. Ask your attorney about any language that you do not fully understand.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,208,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
This could backfire if you are not ready to close by that date. Most delays today are because of the buyer. Banks are taking longer and longer to approve mortgages.
That's why I added the PS. Allow much more time if buying a "short sale," particularly if there is more than one mortgage on the property. If they are buyers in a shaky situation, there is more risk. If they have the downpayment, credit, income, and the house is appraised correctly, there should not be any major delays. If they don't have those things, then the sale may probably not go through at all. It takes a lot longer around here anyway to complete a transaction than probably anywhere in the country, so we're talking extra built-in months of waiting until the closing occurs from the get-go.

Most complaints I hear are because of the sellers, but actually because something goes wrong with the next house the seller is trying to buy so they try and drag the buyer into their problem, so that fits in with your theory.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 PM

9,923 posts, read 23,055,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSCL View Post
I quickly googled what LTV ratio meant ( I hope I am understanding it correctly) . For ex: If we are paying $800K for the home and taking out a mortgage of $528K (34% down) . If the appraisal came back at $740K - LTV 71%.

Am I correct that based on that and assuming if we have high credit scores (800's) the bank would still give us the loan?

I asked one of the mortgage bankers I've had many dealings with and according to her, given the above parameters, you should have no problem proceeding with the purchase/mortgage application.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:58 AM

22 posts, read 173,672 times
thank you everyone for your feedback . we signed the contract this morning at our attorneys office. didnt have to bring it home and review lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island