Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 06:56 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times

Advertisements

My suggestion brought back a memory when I first moved out here. I attached my oscillating sprinkler to a timer at the outside tap. There was never an issue generally with people parking in front of the house. Occasionally some visitors for the house across the street would park in front of my house. I didnt care..they werent there very long. Seems someone parked in front of my house in the evening and the sprinkler must have went on.

That is not normally a big deal..the car would simply get wet..no worse than caught in the rain. But that night the jerk left his windows open. Should have heard him cursing when he came out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 07:15 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Everytime you see them out there......drag out your lawn chair and go sit out there with them!

Start some conversation....."How are you boys doing in school? Who is your favorite teacher? What is your favorite song? OMG, your shoes are like, totally rad, dude.....where'd ya get 'em? Would you guys like to see my vacation pictures?" LOL

Pretty soon it won't be so cool to hang out in front of your house....in fact...I think they will start to go out of their way to avoid you.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:25 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times
Sit out in your undies. Scratch balls every 5 mins.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 PM

14 posts, read 127,346 times
Hey Gpsma, I just bought a timer, I need to try it to see how it works. Funny enough everytime my neighbor's kids park in front of my house they leave their windows open which is why I will have to make sure that the water only spills over onto the sidewalk. I just wanna make sure they can't stand there. Actually I do not want to settle for them not hanging out on the side walk, I don't want them hanging out in front of my house period! They have a tendency to hang out around the car on the side of the street. They might just go back to doing that. I just don't know if it's something I should settle for? At the end of the day even though there is no law against that, I don't see people hanging out by their car in front of anybody else house on my entire block so obviously there is an unwritten code that neighbors follow.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:51 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
In Santa Cruz, when the officials wanted vagrants to stop loitering in the Metro Station, they blasted classical music really loud. Problem solved.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-22-2011, 07:52 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,337 times
Go to Utopia and buy some smoking pipes. Find someone who sells weed. Fill the pipes up with weed and hide them in any bushes or under rocks very close to where the kids hang out. Call the cops. When the cops come tell them you saw the kids hiding something on your lawn as the cops were pulling up the street.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:05 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Sit on your porch with a shotgun.
That only works down south with the liberal gun laws...

Old 08-22-2011, 08:55 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times
Compost pile, sprinkler, playing music all good suggetsions.

Start a garden in the area using compost with good old Native American technology by using fish heads, you can let e'm get ripe on the compost first if you should so choose. Put a filter on the hose line that feeds the sprinkler within sight of the offenders that says "Liquefied Manure" (don't actually use liquefied manure however, just looking for the psychological impact.

Barry Manilow may or may not drve them off, blend him with Gregorian Chants, Singing Monks, etc. This will drive them nuts and just might trigger some subliminal sense in them that their behavior doesn't fall under "Love Thy Neighbor"...

If all else fails there's Traditional Japanese Music, no offense to the Japanese, but this music played in a steady dose will drive the average American teenager bonkers (unless they are very well educated and cultured, which, by their behavior, leads me to believe they are not).

Go to Youtube and type "Traditional Japanese Music" into browser and hit the search button if you would like some samples and see how effective this method would be.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 PM

62 posts, read 113,680 times
we had this same problem
at our "starter home" in nassau cty
we tried calling the cops so many times
they nevr did anything abt it

they stayed there all day and all night
i was srsly at my wits end
we tried talking 2 the parents
they just said "oh blow it out ur @$!%"
we tried talking 2 the kids
they just said "we r just trying 2 play pokemon cards"

yea rite
sounds more like slang for "using drugs" in front of the neighbors house
where ur mommies and daddies cant see u
sometimes they would litter energy drinks all over the place
i kno those r popular 2 mix w/alcohol
so u pretty much kno they were up 2 no good

eventually we just couldnt take it nay more
(amongst other things)
had 2 move
happier now in suffolk cty but still have lots of problems
at least less kids loitering/littering in front of our house
cursing
swearing
riding bmx bikes/skate boards/listening 2 "little wayne"

u should just try 2 move 2 a more upper middle class area
bethpage is kindof a rugged blue collar town
they are known 4 these types of problems

Old 08-23-2011, 07:13 AM

14 posts, read 127,346 times
Thank for the suggestions so far...I am not going to move because some teenagers are acting up. I couldn't even afford another house if I wanted to, not really an option. Anyone has suggestions for affordable security camera systems? Let's say under $300? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island