U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-23-2011, 07:25 AM

7,069 posts, read 6,670,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long island POSTER View Post
we had this same problem
at our "starter home" in nassau cty
we tried calling the cops so many times
they nevr did anything abt it

they stayed there all day and all night
i was srsly at my wits end
we tried talking 2 the parents
they just said "oh blow it out ur @$!%"
we tried talking 2 the kids
they just said "we r just trying 2 play pokemon cards"

yea rite
sounds more like slang for "using drugs" in front of the neighbors house
where ur mommies and daddies cant see u
sometimes they would litter energy drinks all over the place
i kno those r popular 2 mix w/alcohol
so u pretty much kno they were up 2 no good

eventually we just couldnt take it nay more
(amongst other things)
had 2 move
happier now in suffolk cty but still have lots of problems
at least less kids loitering/littering in front of our house
cursing
swearing
riding bmx bikes/skate boards/listening 2 "little wayne"

u should just try 2 move 2 a more upper middle class area
bethpage is kindof a rugged blue collar town
they are known 4 these types of problems
Have you submitted this to the Wal Whitman poetry contest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-23-2011, 08:44 AM

63 posts, read 7,886 times
Don't call the cops, they'll put you on hold for 10 minutes like they did with us.

Unread 08-23-2011, 09:38 AM

1,346 posts, read 947,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Go to Utopia and buy some smoking pipes. Find someone who sells weed. Fill the pipes up with weed and hide them in any bushes or under rocks very close to where the kids hang out. Call the cops. When the cops come tell them you saw the kids hiding something on your lawn as the cops were pulling up the street.
BINGO! I like this one! Be sure to wear rubber gloves though when you plant the stuff! :-)

I think even empty pipes will do the trick though.

I actually had a similar issue when I lived in Suffolk. Neighbor kids directly across street hung out on my side until 3 - 4 AM sometimes. The sprinkler thing worked. I wasn't about to do much more, since this particular neighbor was known to be associated with "FAMILY" if you know what I mean.

Unread 08-23-2011, 09:45 AM

84 posts, read 276,377 times
I like the sprinkler idea. They are very easy to adjust if you have inground sprinklers.

There is also a high pitched sound you can easily download on your computer and play through speakers. The great thing is only people under the age of 25 or so can hear it and it is super annoying. They play it outside some stores in europe to keep kids away...I think its called the mosquito. Google it, they say it is very effective.

Unread 08-23-2011, 09:53 AM

137 posts, read 109,725 times
Do you have any outdoor lighting on the side of the house they're hanging out by? I have motion detector lighting on all 4 sides. Mostly, they get triggered by stray cats, but that's a whole 'nother pet peeve.

The kids next door to me had developed the habit of having mini-parties till midnight in their driveway which runs along my bedrooms side. Not a nice combo. I installed the lights, and it seemed to help. Dunno if it was the mosquitoes they attracted or the lack of a dark private place to misbehave, but they've mostly quit it.

Unread 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM

7 posts, read 12,703 times
I wonder if there is the Mosquito device a regular homeowner can install...
It is a device that creates high frequency noize that is only audiable by young people.

If you google with "the Mosquito" "prevent loitering", you'll get more details.

Unread 08-23-2011, 02:54 PM

1,812 posts, read 1,106,628 times
take photos or vid of them doing it for proof and take them to court also call the sanitation department and local police. BUT DO NOT harase or do the same to them you will end up being the one in trouble.

Unread 08-23-2011, 03:17 PM

295 posts, read 251,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Turn on your lawn sprinkler and water the sidewalk constantly.
OMG LOL! Best idea I've ever heard. Seriously. Do this from 8:30-midnight. If you don't have a sprinkler system, get one!

Great idea

Unread 08-23-2011, 03:21 PM

369 posts, read 410,249 times
Get a Dig. camera, take a photo or video of any teen smoking who looks under age. 19
Or having a beer even better 21. PD has to act on that.
What about your neighbors ? There is strength in numbers.
Make a sign that says
"Smile your on camera"
Pour a bottle or 3 of ammonia on the curb.
On a serious One of the mothers made a threat to you.
Your going to have trouble if you do or do not act. Choose your battle ground, everyone goes out alone at night. I don't mean Mom or any under age teen.
Good luck

Unread 08-23-2011, 03:27 PM

16,183 posts, read 11,474,696 times
Motion lights work great. Face them right where they like to hang out. Better yet use a spot light and aim it at their own houses on the motion lights. Or, your grass could use some pig manure for fertilizer. We had this same issue but it went away after they saw us hauling all of our guns in after hunting. They called the Cops but since my buddy in my driveway was also a Cop they didn't get much traction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island