U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:18 AM

1,191 posts, read 2,772,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Smithtown, Hauppauge, Ronkonkoma, Massapequa, Medford, Miller Place..etc, ad infinitum all have similar issues. They had a meeting at Hauppauge high school not long ago about this issue.

It's all over Long Island. I'm not saying it isn't an issue in Oakdale, but are there any statistics to back up that it is worse in Oakdale? I know that bigshot heroin dealer lived in Oakdale, but does that mean everyone he was dealing to lives there?
agreed, it is everywhere but I'm telling you from firsthand experience after living there for 10 years, having many friends and relatives still living there AND having a young adult in my family arrested and convicted of 3 B felonies related to heroin after being raised there that itís a problem not apparent to the naked eye. Itís a silent scourge in an area most people would not expect it in and the scariest part is that your adult neighbors (parents of your childrenís' friends) are the biggest functioning junkies of all. This was my actual life experience living in Oakdale, my neighbors and Mom's in the PTA were using heroin or prescription opiates.
Believe it or not, I'm not saying itís entirely unique to that area because it isn't but it is very real. IMO it is still not being publisized in that area the way it should to get the entire community involved in a solution. In 2006 a 19 year old killed himself with his own shotgun in his home in Oakdale after a week long drug binge-not on the news. Christmas Day 2010 a 50 year old man died of a heroin overdose in his home west sayville-not on the news and there have been many others.
Would I live there again? yes. Do I still think its a great place to live? yes. However I think it is worth mentioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 08:28 AM

9,343 posts, read 16,012,166 times
Default A map of the Sayville Union Free School District

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
walter
If sayville,west sayville kids go to Connetquot who goes to sayville schools?
Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Sayville Union Free School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of Bohemia, the Hamlet of Holbrook, the Hamlet of Sayville and the Hamlet of West Sayville.

A map of the Sayville Union Free School District:
Attached Thumbnails
Putting an offer on a house in Connetqout schools-sayvilleufsd.gif  

Old 08-24-2011, 09:28 AM

816 posts, read 927,979 times
Walter
Make up your mind your first map suggests that people who live south of montauk go to Connetquot.I live SOM and no one goes to Connetquot.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 AM

Default A map of the Hamlet of Sayville in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County

Quote:
Walter
Make up your mind your first map suggests that people who live south of montauk go to Connetquot.I live SOM and no one goes to Connetquot.
Each map is direct from the Census Bureau, and to my eye, seem to dovetail with each other, with different areas in the Hamlet of Sayville being in different school districts.

A map of the Hamlet of Sayville in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Sayvillet has a different border than does the " Sayville, NY 11782" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Sayville, NY 11782" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Sayville and a place can have other than a " Sayville, NY 11782" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Sayville): places that have a " Sayville, NY 11782" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Sayville are in the Hamlet of West Sayville, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Sayville with a a "West Sayville, NY 11796" mailing address address.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 08-24-2011 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Added that there are places in Sayville with a "West Sayville, NY 11796" mailing address

Old 08-24-2011, 10:39 AM

Walter
We are talking about school districts right?
PS West Sayville zip is 11796 and the school they go to is Sayville.From the West Sayville golf course east and south of montauk go to sayville schools.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:50 AM

Default A map of the Hamlet of West Sayville in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County

Quote:
PS West Sayville zip is 11796 and the school they go to is Sayville.
A map of the Hamlet of West Sayville in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of West Sayville has a different border than does the "West Sayville, NY 11796" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "West Sayville, NY 11796" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of West Sayville and a place can be in the Hamlet of West Sayville and have other than a "West Sayville, NY 11796" mailing address): places that have a "West Sayville, NY 11796" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of West Sayville are in the Hamlet of Oakdale and in the Hamlet of Sayville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of West Sayville that have an "Oakdale, NY 11769" and "Sayville, NY 11782" mailing address.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:28 AM

WALTER
One more time your first map showed that kids went to connetquot who lived SOUTH OF MONTAUK RIGHT???????Stop with the maps and get back to school districts.You live SOM in West Sayville and sayville you do not go to Connetquot.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
You live SOM in West Sayville and sayville you do not go to Connetquot.
That depends on YOUR definition of Sayville and West Sayville because there is a difference between these two hamlets and their same-named ZIP Code postal zones ("Sayville, NY 11782" and "West Sayville, NY 11796") which are not coterminous with the borders of the communities whose name they "share".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 3 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:13 PM

Walter
The lady asked a question about schools your map claims Connetquot school district went to the bay in West Sayville an Sayville.You are trying to tell me where my kids went to school???I lived in Bohemia before I moved to Sayville don't tell me where the school district is you don't live in the area.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Walter
The lady asked a question about schools your map claims Connetquot school district went to the bay in West Sayville an Sayville.You are trying to tell me where my kids went to school???I lived in Bohemia before I moved to Sayville don't tell me where the school district is you don't live in the area.
The following two maps are copied directly from the Census Bureau:

A map of the Connetquot Central School District:

A map of the Sayville Union Free School District
:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island