Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 PM

112 posts, read 217,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
BLAH...its only gonna be 75mph winds and rain when it gets here. Why is everyone acting like its the end of the world??
It's the end of the world as we know it.

And I feel fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:50 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,448,710 times
Something else to be concerned about is tornados. Hurricanes spawn multiple tornados.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:49 AM

29 posts, read 82,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
We had a nor easter in March 2010 that had more powerful wind gusts than Irene is expected to have. If we made it through that with little more than some flooding, downed trees, and some power outages we should be fine with Irene. Get a grip folks!
Yeah that storm knocked trees down all over the place and even if Irene's winds are a lil lower then the gusts in that storm there is a big difference. One is we didn't have 5 to 10 inches of rain the week b4 that storm to losen the soil. And two the trees didn't have leaves on them and they were falling imagine that same storm with trees full of leaves. I don't think this storm is gonna be anywhere near what they painted it to be but as of now it looks like it's still gonna mess stuff up around here.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:52 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,623,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
I find it quite startling that there are so many scoffers. I guarantee that most of these scoffers never lived through a hurricane, it's no laughing matter. Talk to anyone who was told to evacuate and decided to wait it out in their home, if they ares still alive after the hurricane hits, when interviewed 99% of them stated they would never do that again.

Another point not mentioned about the wind speeds. The wind speeds are measured at 20-30 feet from the ground. The higher you get, the stronger the winds. Buildings that are hundreds of feet off the ground will experience stronger winds. It's not uncommon for an 80MPH wind to hit the base of building and then at 100 feet the winds are at 120MPH or greater.

This will play a huge role in the taller buildings and skyscrapers. Anything over 50 feet from the ground will experience stronger winds than they are stating on the news. You could see Cat1 winds at the base of building and then experience Cat3 winds on the 10th+ floor, all while it is rated at Cat1.
No disrespect intended, and completely understand your point, but this is info best posted on the NYC board. There are no skyscrapers but a few tall buildings on LI and the majority of homes are one family and under 30'.

Not to say this isn't going to be terrible as it looks like we're going to be on the right side of the storm. .

Old 08-27-2011, 04:04 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,500,694 times
Also remember that the evacuation order doesn't mean you'll surely die if you don't It means you won't get essential emergency response if you need it.

The deal with Merrick Road is...if the center makes landfall during high tide, the water is projected to make it to Merrick Rd. If it's not at high tide, it won't make it that far. How far the water goes is a lot more complex than a wind and wave forecast. It has to do with coastal development (is there a jetty that wasn't there before?) and how the water behaves. Thats why the evacuation area may seem large if you think of it in just terms of weather.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:15 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,320,014 times
Hospitals being evacuated.... oh boy its not just us being duped by the media, the goberment is duped too by the hype !!

Old 08-27-2011, 06:58 AM

22,649 posts, read 36,634,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Hospitals being evacuated.... oh boy its not just us being duped by the media, the goberment is duped too by the hype !!
Gubmint can't win. Remember Katrina? It was gubmint's fault that all those people ended up on their roofs. If I were a gubmint official, I'd move everyone too and deal with the "what ifs" later.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:14 AM

27 posts, read 53,181 times
Am I better off in Lindenhurst with family or alone in the West Village in basement apartment?

Old 08-27-2011, 07:52 AM

129 posts, read 477,261 times
Default Last minute preparations

Hi everyone. Live in fl. For over 30years. I hope you all got prepared. Here are last minute things to do.
Turn your ac down to cool your home. This will help you stay cool when power goes out.
Turn your frig and freezer to lowest setting. This will help keep the food cold.
Fill ziplock bags with water and put in freezer. This will keep freezer cold and you can transferr food from refrig to freezer.
Have plenty of towels handed just in case water comes in the house. This happened to me one year. Water sippied through a window. What a mess!
Good luck. Icelady

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitterness View Post
i lived in orlando florida in 2004 when we had 3 hurricanes come through central florida within a 6 week period.

Believe it or not, taping and boarding windows doesn't do much good. Google it yourself if you don't believe me. Hurricane shutters work well, but i can't imagine you being able to get them installed before sat/sun, plus i have no idea how expensive they are.

Here are some tips:

Fill up any cars you have to full. The lines at the gas stations were incredibly long for a week after each hurricane.

Fill your tub(s) with water to use if the toilet stops working. You can fill the toilet with the bath water and use to flush.

Have flashlights and batteries.

Have non-perishable food and water. Lights could be out for a week or more. They were in florida and were on li during hurricane gloria where i lived.

Try to keep your gadgets as charged as possible. Use your cell phone sparingly and only when necessary. Even better get a charger you can use in the car. You may not have electricity, but run your car for 10 minutes and charge the phone.

Have games, books, anything to entertain yourself without needing electricity.

Still 3 days away. Anything could happen and i wouldn't panic yet, but keep an eye on things.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:06 AM

9,925 posts, read 23,079,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icelady View Post
Hi everyone. Live in fl. For over 30years. I hope you all got prepared. Here are last minute things to do.
Turn your ac down to cool your home. This will help you stay cool when power goes out.
Turn your frig and freezer to lowest setting. This will help keep the food cold.
Fill ziplock bags with water and put in freezer. This will keep freezer cold and you can transferr food from refrig to freezer.
Have plenty of towels handed just in case water comes in the house. This happened to me one year. Water sippied through a window. What a mess!
Good luck. Icelady

Great tips! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island