U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:55 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,170,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
if someone asks their friends from across the pond to tell us the story of Irene, they are going to say on a fine Saturday afternoon Irene appeared out of nowhere and started to threaten the tristate area.
They think we over-hype everything

they said it was a breezy day in Britain
and
Cat 1? better get a raincoat

BBC News - Hurricane Irene: Did New York over-react?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Scout View Post

Epic

Old 08-29-2011, 04:03 PM

13,827 posts, read 16,189,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm sure there are people in upstate NY and Vermont who are wishing someone had "hyped" the storm to them.

Same with the people on OBX who refused to leave and are now stranded because the road washed out. Sure hope they bought the "hype" and laid in more than a day or two worth of supplies.
We have a mess at my house, despite taking preparations. Today was spent cleaning debris. I was woken up 4:30 AM by a sick cracking sound --a tree fell (away from the house thank God) but had it fallen tne other way, it would have taken out my bedroom. I had a go bag ready just in case we had to leave because of such damage. We've been on a generator since yesterday AM, and are being told we could be without power for at least another week.

Meanwhile my house in VT, which mercifully is not low lying, can not be checked until I have power in full here. My VT neighbor said we have no power there, and that the base of our road is flooded. A nearby covered bridge, almost 150 years old and on the National Historic Register was washed away. There were flood related drownings, too.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:06 PM

2,352 posts, read 3,615,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Actually, if you see the videos of the flooding in Vermont and Upstate NY, Irene was a very big deal. They just put the onus on the wrong region.
Damn right dman.... I looked at a few of them, the media was so focussed on the greatest city on earth, I bet the upstate NY and VT town officials were busy watching whats going to happen to NYC rather than preparing for the storm themselves !!

I feel sorry for the devastation up north. Irene will no doubt be remembered for all the wrong reasons now.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Status: "Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina" (set 25 days ago)

9,051 posts, read 10,390,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Meanwhile my house in VT, which mercifully is not low lying, can not be checked until I have power in full here. My VT neighbor said we have no power there, and that the base of our road is flooded. A nearby covered bridge, almost 150 years old and on the National Historic Register was washed away. There were flood related drownings, too.
I was thinking of you - glad to hear that so far things are OK up in VT.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Status: "Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina" (set 25 days ago)

9,051 posts, read 10,390,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Overreaction = Irene

Underreaction = Last year's March Nor'easter

And I don't expect it to be any different when the next potential storm nears. The media loves this and the doomsayers are plentiful.

I find it funny (and scary) how the earthquake in VA last week caused 10 nuclear power plants to abruptly shift reactors into emergency shut down mode ... yet that got almost no press! The plants are designed to take up to a 6.2 quake supposedly.

Meanwhile the media covered Irene in this fashion
Nothing to hype with an earthquake - they don't know what to do with themselves after the fact!

I think I was away for March 2010 Nor'easter - I did notice my roof had leaked when we got back!

Nor'easters can be as bad as hurricanes for the Island. Remember the December 1992 Nor'easter? I was handling car insurance claims. I knew when I got 18 flood claims in one day we were in big trouble, because I'd usually get 5 claims a day of all different types. Merrick Road was flooded under 135 by 9 a.m.....water was over the hood of my car, the little lake just west of Forest Ave was spilling onto Merrick Road and the gas station next to 135 was underwater.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:23 PM

some more home grown spoofing

HURRICANE IRENE Spoof News Video Report fnl.swf - YouTube

This one was almost an exact replica of news 12 erin colton

Hurricane Irene weather reporter spoof - YouTube

Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 PM

11,328 posts, read 8,135,596 times
I heard many residents may not get power till Next Tuesday. That's terrible.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:42 PM

137 posts, read 130,645 times
Woot! Just got my power restored about 2 hours ago. Being an 'isolated' outage area (like 4 x 6 blocks) I didn't think we'd have zip till Friday at best. Some LIPA & Out of State utility trucks were restoring power to a local golf course... then they were gonna leave without seeing to us. My neighbor actually drove into the golf course and gave the Supervisor 2 choices. He chose wisely. It took all of, maybe, 10 minutes to reset 4(?) boxes. Yippee! I'd spent most of today clearing debris, especially clearing the gutters & drains up/down the street. This was a very welcome reward.

I hope all the rest of you still waiting for power restoration get good news soon. It sure feels nice to have things work again.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:46 PM
s13

586 posts, read 440,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Is that Bill Gates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island