Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 09:49 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times

Advertisements

Lol, North Jersey schools are better, L.I. schools are better, The Triangle schools are better. This state schools are better, Massapequa schools are the best of the best, upstate schools suck!

The truth..they're good schools everywhere L.I. doesn't have the monopoly on schools. Making general comparisons is flawed,skewed and useless.

Make a direct comparison is better but also flawed. I'll put up my local elementary, middle, high school against anyone's. Also you must keep in consideration, they do it @ less than 6,000 per student.

Here's the only facts I could give you... my son's GPA was 2nd best in his grade and my daughter skipped a grade. My other son is a track star, lol.
What I'm trying to say it's more than what school you attend! I still believe education starts at HOME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 10:59 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Wow. OK, let me try this one more time. Lets look at individual high schools using a nationalized test - the SATs.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools East Chapel Hill High 619 599 1,218
Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools Chapel Hill High 593 572 1,165
Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools Carbaro High School 592 591 1,183
Wake County Schools Apex High 576 538 1,114
Wake County Schools Green Hope High (Cary) 600 563 1,163
Wake County Schools William G Enloe High 594 587 1,181
Wake County Schools Cary High 559 535 1,094

Jericho Senior High School 568 630 1,198
Garden City High School 555 572 1,127
Great Neck North High School 576 620 1,196
Syosset Senior High School 557 598 1,155
Massapequa High School 501 513 1,014
Manhasset Secondary School 575 607 1,182
Cold Spring Harbor High School 580 599 1,179

This clearly shows that the best schools in The Triangle are comparable to top LI schools. I can guarantee that you will see similar results from good school districts in Virginia, Georgia or pretty much any place else.

I have a feeling that even in the face of this, those on LI who have been indoctrinated into thinking that their high taxes are worth it "because we have great schools" will still not be convinced. It's all about perception.

So I have shown that on state by state basis, NY and NC are very close. I have shown that on a school by school basis, LI and The Triangle are very close. But I agree completely with Big Mike - education is more about the individual student than the school district. Great students can come out of terrible school districts and vice versa.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:36 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Let's see a source for these SAT scores.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:06 PM

46 posts, read 88,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
You're LI educated and look at all your mistakes above ^^ - you even make fun of it yourself. lol

I point this out only against the anecdotal evidence you use to make some very broad leaps. Do you honestly think that a professor from Stony Brook won't be saying the same thing about sentances (sic) to his wife this Fall?

I'm glad you pointed out the wife thing and that I'm not crazy... Dude - seriously. What is up with someone thinking that's OK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Sounds like alot of whiny "grass is always greener" BS. I've lived all over and no one can or should make a total judgment on a place until they have lived there at least 1 full year and maybe 2. It takes that long or more to find decent people, a good barber shop, a comfortable place to eat where you feel like regulars. Most places we "fall in love with" at first then the honeymoon ends. That's when it's time to face reality.

I have been on LI over 8 years now. It is one of my least favorite places to live. Austin, Boston and Brooklyn were #s 1,2 and 3. San Fran was the worst. Each time I was "in love", then it got tired and bothersome ("depressed, watching TV, etc") and somewhere down the line I realized I had alot to do, new people, responsibilities, obligations, hobbies, chores and suddenly I realized, this is home.

It NEVER happens in less than 1 year especially after a big geographical change.

Oh, and I don't feel comfortable having a guy visit my wife for coffee after I leave for work. Call me insecure and crazy...me and a gazillion other guys.

Good luck whatever you do. Give it some time. LI aint the wonderland your selective memory might tell you it is.
You bring valid points as far as giving the any place a year or 2 to adjust, and that’s what I did, I moved in May 2010 like I said on my previous post it’s just not working for me… you say LI is not wonderland or a paradise, to me neither is Austin, Brooklyn or Boston, I can’t say much cause I haven’t been around like you but I can assure you one thing is that I know I’ll be happy where I was. Like I said I moved from Florida to queens and our plan was to move to Florida and it didn’t work out, I looked for place outside of queens and ended up in LI and I said this where I want to live cause it felt a lot like Florida…

Oh and BTW was not visiting his wife for coffee, I was dropping my daughter off, they trusted me to the point that they invited me in their apartment for coffee every morning, just so happen her husband needed to go in early a few times, not that kind a guy man…..

wow guys thank you for all your responses, as far as the school goes, the kids were in Franklin square district, I noticed that the were actually challenged a bit more in LI, here I notice they finish there HW much faster, kids would be knocking on our door by 4 to go outside and play, back in LI there would spend more time on HW and have more reading assignments... my 5 year old just started kinder garden and on the second day she told me that she was board, guys I’m not making this up... I asked her why and she replied; because all we did was color and didn't want to do color anymore... and I was oooooooookay,but now there actually doing a bit more so i guess is ok lol....

Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I was just letting you know that comparing state to state is pretty meaningless. Unless you plan your move by throwing a dart at a state and go where it lands. There's no value in the numbers you put up.

Yeah, LI has one of the best overall school systems in the country.
Nassau County Grad rate = 92%, 95%+ if you nix the bottom 5 districts. even Suffolk is 90% as of 2011.
Wake County, NC = 80.6%

www.nystart.gov

Interactive Map: Return on Educational Investment (http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/01/educational_productivity/ - broken link)

LI Schools are better.
Interactive Map: Return on Educational Investment (http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/01/educational_productivity/ - broken link)
For the tremendous difference in taxes, I'd be inclined to take that 80% rate. Especially since I work with my kid at home and don't count on the school alone to make sure he's learning. Many of us went to NYC schools with awful stats and went on to great colleges. Learning begins at home and grammar IS important (but not on these boards)!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:39 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
A few weeks ago CNBC ran an article on the 10 "perfect suburbs" in the country. They took in consideration unemployment rates, home costs, crime rates, COL, and Schools.

I was kind of disappointed that my town only came in 6th but at least it was recognized. I still think we deserved the top spot but then again I might be biased.

News Headlines

Old 09-16-2011, 09:27 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
A few weeks ago CNBC ran an article on the 10 "perfect suburbs" in the country. They took in consideration unemployment rates, home costs, crime rates, COL, and Schools.

I was kind of disappointed that my town only came in 6th but at least it was recognized. I still think we deserved the top spot but then again I might be biased.

News Headlines
What, no mention of Massapequa?

But really, people gotta stop with these freakin' lists! I saw one that listed Westbury as one of the top places for wealthy singles!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:38 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
With young kids you need to be looking ahead... As the unsustainable costs to run these financially broken districts continue and our wonderful political machine continues to attack the public sector, the quality of the education is going to suffer. Especially in the tax crushed areas of LI, NJ, etc. My sister is an asst principal for a middle of the road LI district. She's already seeing the impact with the new breed of teachers coming in making a fraction of the overall compensation package from just 10 years ago. What is it going to be like when your 6 year old first grader is in 11th grade 10 years from now? Less and less coming in, with more and more needing to go out every year… The schools are already falling apart physically. The administration isn't far behind.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:08 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
It's very, very possible in 10 years there won't be any public schools. Vouchers for charters, privates, or homeschool. Sizing down "government". We are not going to recognize this country in 10 years. Depressing. Hope not, but the handwriting is on the wall.

Yes, I still want to move back.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post

News Headlines
Yeah and how many people are RUNNING to go live in their number 1 pick, Edmond, Oklahoma????? Raise your hands, all who CANNOT WAIT to set up their home in Edmond, OK!!!! And Midlothian is six times less desirable than that. LOL.

The people who compile these silly arbitrary lists probably don't even visit 1 let alone all of the locations on their idiotic lists. Anyone who believes in them is even more idiotic than the writers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island