Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 10:00 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,147,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilitt1 View Post
That is absolutely untrue! Great Neck is predominantly Jewish! Ashkenasi ans Persian Jews!. Asians have started to buy there, due to the excellent school district!
Was an excellent School District
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 10:41 AM

104 posts, read 149,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Was an excellent School District
Was? Um, they're still one of the top 5 on Long Island, according to both US News and Niche as well as many other school ranking sites.

As for the OP, did anybody mention "Matzah Pizza" yet? About 30% Jewish.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:50 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,522,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBuckeye View Post
Was? Um, they're still one of the top 5 on Long Island, according to both US News and Niche as well as many other school ranking sites.

Yea definitely still excellent

Old 02-25-2016, 03:49 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,147,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBuckeye View Post

Great Neck has been going done hill since Eddie Cantor and Groucho Marx moved in.

Eddie Cantor was the first Jewish person to buy in Great Neck. Before that it was a kinda Upper Crust Waspy type town .

There is an amazing Brick house on Merrivale road that he owned, still there. My neighbor growing up was aghast as a kid when he moved in as there went the neighborhood.

That huge white house on Northern Blvd which used to be North Shore Steak house was next door to my old neighbors house that looked similar. It was her summer home, such a shame in the 1970s it got hit by "j- lighting" and burned down.

Great Neck use to be really nice. For instance Nassau Road on one side all the houses backs up the Great Neck Terrace. I recall folks on that block used to tells stories from when that was a huge farm they would feet the apples to the horses right over back fence.

Have to go to parts of North Fork now to see towns that actually look like they originally did

And in 30 years the Asians will surely sell out and Great Neck will be version 4.0 and who knows maybe Muslims from Iraq will take over.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:22 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,522,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Great Neck has been going done hill since Eddie Cantor and Groucho Marx moved in.

Eddie Cantor was the first Jewish person to buy in Great Neck. Before that it was a kinda Upper Crust Waspy type town .

There is an amazing Brick house on Merrivale road that he owned, still there. My neighbor growing up was aghast as a kid when he moved in as there went the neighborhood.

That huge white house on Northern Blvd which used to be North Shore Steak house was next door to my old neighbors house that looked similar. It was her summer home, such a shame in the 1970s it got hit by "j- lighting" and burned down.

Great Neck use to be really nice. For instance Nassau Road on one side all the houses backs up the Great Neck Terrace. I recall folks on that block used to tells stories from when that was a huge farm they would feet the apples to the horses right over back fence.

Have to go to parts of North Fork now to see towns that actually look like they originally did

And in 30 years the Asians will surely sell out and Great Neck will be version 4.0 and who knows maybe Muslims from Iraq will take over.
Didn't realize you are a 90 year old anti-Semite.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:21 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,710,879 times
Welcome to City Data...

Old 03-22-2016, 07:37 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,710,879 times
Prob a trump supporter

Old 03-22-2016, 07:56 PM

592 posts, read 913,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Prob a trump supporter
Trump's grandkids are Orthodox Jews. He's more likely to be a Sanders supporter.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:01 AM

10 posts, read 10,365 times
You know what's really funny? I was just in the NC forum asking about moving there and something that surprised me was how little they'll bring up politics in conversation but in NY somehow everything turns into politics, even if it's just a joke.

Anyway, when I was in Plainview I didn't know what a bar mitzvah was and you'd think I had 8 heads with the reaction I got. It may not be the most Jewish area but it's certainly very pronounced in the local culture.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:13 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,850,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banananana View Post
You know what's really funny? I was just in the NC forum asking about moving there and something that surprised me was how little they'll bring up politics in conversation but in NY somehow everything turns into politics, even if it's just a joke.
Don't let the talk on a forum fool you; politics is a quite often a central discussion with North Cakalakians. They just assume everyone else believes exactly like they do.

Quote:
Anyway, when I was in Plainview I didn't know what a bar mitzvah was and you'd think I had 8 heads with the reaction I got. It may not be the most Jewish area but it's certainly very pronounced in the local culture.
Most of the people I know here live around West Hempstead, Five towns, Merrick/Bellmore, and Plainview.
Those are also the areas that were recommended to us when we moved here (being walking distance to a synagogue is a must).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island