Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:01 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerunner View Post
... it's amazing there are hardly any houses on the MLS in "Calverton", which is a rather large hamlet, but lots in Baiting Hollow, a tiny hamlet. They happen to share a zip code, though, and people would rather say they live in BH than Calverton.
Oftentimes, the MLSLI.com lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 09:11 AM

438 posts, read 828,272 times
[Based on information from this thread, all 3 are east of cannal and north of highway. May I assume all are 'entry level' Hamptons? or not consider Hampton by the Hamptonites?

Thanks[/quote]

I would think these hamlets are considered to be the Hamptons. I am sure most people who have summer houses there probably call these areas "Southampton" anyway since they are in close proximity to the actual village of Southampton. One really attractive feature of buying in these hamlets is you do not have to deal with the huge summer traffic mess along Rte 27 past Southampton and points east.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:35 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,967,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLIGuy View Post
I would think these hamlets are considered to be the Hamptons. I am sure most people who have summer houses there probably call these areas "Southampton" anyway since they are in close proximity to the actual village of Southampton. One really attractive feature of buying in these hamlets is you do not have to deal with the huge summer traffic mess along Rte 27 past Southampton and points east.
While true on the traffic mess, Southampton (especially pockets like in the Bays) are heavy into seasonal rentals... So you trade sitting in traffic to get home for watching Joey Baddabang puking on the front porch next store.

Many of the locals out there dread the Summer for this very reason and prefer the off and shoulder seasons.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:24 PM

93 posts, read 185,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toffee123 View Post
As the OP, perhaps I should chime in. I live in the SF Bay Area, near Stanford University. Here in the Silicon Valley, the top tier towns would be Atherton, Woodside, Los Altos Hills, Portola Valley etc., where $3mil means a fixer, a not prime lot or an underwhelming house. second tier would be Los Altos, Saratoga, etc., where a somewhat decent condo is $700k and up.

After watching episodes of "Royal Pains", out of curiosity, I searched for properties in the Hamptons. As expected I found mansions (as seen on TV, LOL). But I was surprised to see quite a few homes in say Tuckahoe etc for $500k or so on 1/3+ acre and yet those houses have Southampton address. $500k sfh would be impossible to find and instant multiple offers (yes, even today) in 2nd tier towns in Silicon Valley. Heck, $500k condo would be consider bargains.

That triggered this thread, I was just trying to gain more insights on the Hamptons. It seems like east of canal and south of Hwy are prime, where entry price is around a mil. But east of canal, NORTH of hwy are very mixed, is that right?
$500,000 in Tuchahoe (Southampton PO) means you will be within earshot of both the most exclusive golf clubs in the country - and - occasional gunshots/prostitution busts

Old 11-21-2011, 12:29 PM

34 posts, read 116,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by literide View Post
$500,000 in Tuchahoe (Southampton PO) means you will be within earshot of both the most exclusive golf clubs in the country - and - occasional gunshots/prostitution busts
wow, sure would like to know more about the occasional gunshot and prostitution situation. Tuckahoe has such problem and reputation?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffee123 View Post
wow, sure would like to know more about the occasional gunshot and prostitution situation. Tuckahoe has such problem and reputation?
Sign up for the Southampton Press/27 East on line and search the police blotter for North Magee Street. Historically an African American lower/working class enclave that has become a hotbed for illegal aliens and all the associated pathologys.

Surrounded by pleasant middle class areas, waterfront estates, and exclusive golf clubs.

Actually, may be time to buy there and tough it out for few years

Old 11-22-2011, 12:22 PM

815 posts, read 2,044,399 times
"The Hamptons" usually implies the Towns of Southampton and East Hampton. I had a bread route out there for 25 years. Lived here since 1983.

Pecking order:
East
Sagaponack
Quogue
Water Mill
North Haven (the drive-through deer petting zoo)
Southampton
Sag Harbor
Bridgehampton
Westhampton

In this listing, "South of Montauk Hwy" is the better location.

The rest of the areas are mostly year round residents (serving the rich). Some areas are 'poor' working class, relativly speaking. In no particular order:
Hampton Bays
East Quogue
Speonk
Eastport
Remsenberg
Flanders
Shinnecock Hills
Tuckahoe
Shinnecock Reservation
North Sea
Noyack
Springs

My Hamptons Riddle:
Why are the Hamptons like a dead fish in the moonlight?

They shine, but they stink.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,151,091 times
Default A little off topic

Maybe somebody remembers...

My dad was stationed at Mitchel in the 50s and they rented a gatehouse cottage in Weshampton. Mom told me she and Arthur Treacher shopped at the same market and they would chat. He evidently fell in love with me (I was adorable at about 6 mos. old!)

I'm sure there's no way that market still exists and does anybody these days even know who Arthur Treacher was?

I'll be visiting LI this spring and thought I'd check out the old neighborhood! LOL!

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Beginning with the Hamlet of Hampton Bays in the Town of Southampton, and moving west to east ...

Hamlet of Hampton Bays
Hamlet of Shinnecock Hills
Hamlet of Tuckahoe
Village of Southampton
Hamlet of North Sea
Hamlet of Water Mill
Hamlet of Noyack
Village of North Haven
Village of Sag Harbor*
Hamlet of Bridgehampton
Village of Sagaponack

Continuing west to east in the Town of East Hampton:

Village of Sag Harbor*
Hamlet of Wainscott
Hamlet of Northwest Harbor
Hamlet of East Hampton North
Village of East Hampton
Hamlet of Springs
Hamlet of Amagansett
Hamlet of Napeague
Hamlet of Montauk

* The Village of Sag Harbor is partly in the Town of Southampton and partly in the Town of East Hampton.
Why start there, If anything is not a Hampton it's Hampton Bays(made up of the unincorporated hamlets of Good Ground, Squiretown, Red Creek, Tiana, West Tiana, Rampasture, Ponquogue, and Canoe Place) and easily the least posh whether measured by it summer visitors or locals.

Starting from the Southampton Town line: Eastport, Northampton, Riverside, Flanders, Speonk, Remsenberg, Westhampton, Westhampton Beach, Quiogue, Quogue, East Quogue.

Given a choice, South of Montauk Hwy in Quogue!

Old 01-29-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
It is exclusive. Going in circles here. Explain to me how it isnt exclusive.

How is Bays not upper middle class? You do know anywhere on LI is higher class than most of the nation, right?
Not higher class, just more expensive, big difference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island