Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,320,760 times

Advertisements

I think it is very often misdiagnosed. Lots of helicopter parents and spoiled rich kids who are making things a bigger deal then they need to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 PM

377 posts, read 643,077 times
You have to meet diagnostic criteria to receive the diagnosis, as per the ADOS. Any kid who I know who has been diagnosed has that diagnosis for a reason. And I don't believe being spoiled or rich, as you put it, are listed in the diagnostic criteria. And it just so happens that some of the richest districts on LI have very mediocre if not nonexistent special ed programs. It has been said many times on this board that Jericho and Three Village and some of the other pressure cooker districts cater to the Intel Scholars, and not to kids with special needs diagnoses. In several of the most competitive LI school districts, kids with needs are sent out of district to neighboring districts with established special needs programs. So in this case, what on earth would be the benefit to rich, spoiled kids and their parents (and doctors with licenses) to misdiagnose them? Not logical.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 AM

233 posts, read 752,547 times
I've met a lot of kids who were autistic and some are definitely difficult to interact with, others however - are seemingly no different than myself. I am not autistic but had ADHD ( a "disease" btw that will never be tested for via blood ).

20 years ago ZERO of 50 states had >25% of people obese

present day has 37/50 states with >25% of the population obese

the culture of the "SAD" (standard american diet) along with a nation addicted to caffeine.. seriously, eat skittles and try to do math homework...yeah right.

nutrition is likely the major contributing factor in my opinion..but who knows.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,984,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoliticsNoGamesJustMath View Post
I've met a lot of kids who were autistic and some are definitely difficult to interact with, others however - are seemingly no different than myself. I am not autistic but had ADHD ( a "disease" btw that will never be tested for via blood ).

20 years ago ZERO of 50 states had >25% of people obese

present day has 37/50 states with >25% of the population obese

the culture of the "SAD" (standard american diet) along with a nation addicted to caffeine.. seriously, eat skittles and try to do math homework...yeah right.

nutrition is likely the major contributing factor in my opinion..but who knows.
i think so too.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:02 PM

377 posts, read 643,077 times
Well that is why it is a spectrum disorder. Some kids have trouble interacting. Some are overly interactive/ do not know personal boundaries. Some are social but cannot focus because they are overly or under responsive to the stimuli around them. Some kids seek stimulation all day long and will bounce or spin or even hurt themselves. Others cannot stand to be touched or shut down when there are loud sounds or cannot tolerate various textures of food, clothing...

My son has high functioning autism. He is social if you initiate, but he will never initiate. He makes eye contact but it is inconsistent and his attention span is very limited. He does not read facial cues or pick up on non verbal cues from others. He echos sounds and movements made by others but does not comprehend their meaning...like he will mimic the sound of someone else's crying not understanding that the person crying is sad. He is very good at rote memorization and has an above average iq and succeeds in math, in memorizing spelling words and in learning how to build things, but has very poor listening comprehension and bombs when it comes to applying language arts skills or coming up with math stories of his own or with anything creative like that. He does not understand anything abstract or implied...is very black and white. If it is not something that is concrete, that he can touch or copy or memorize, it does not exist. And he is so impulsive. The need to touch or feel something overrides all safety. And he has hurt himself. Last year at school he stuck a pencil through his ear one day and tore his shoes to shreds another day because of his constant need for sensory input and his inability to regulate himself.

I am sharing this because my kid has autism but is very different from the autistic child who avoids foods and cannot bear to be touched. Hence the spectrum in autism spectrum disorder. Each of these kids have their own unique needs. You may dismiss the diagnosis when you first meet my son because if you talk to him, he can be fairly social....more social than many other autistic kids. But he does have it and it affects him in all aspects of his life. My son is in a regular classroom but gets speech, an autism consultant and an OT who comes into the classroom. He needs a lot of redirection to stay on task, but he sits on a special cushion that allows him to move without leaving his seat, which helps him focus. I agree that there is a food related or environmental cause, perhaps in addition to a genetic predisposition.

Last edited by kdlugozi; 10-11-2012 at 12:13 PM..

Old 07-11-2014, 04:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,571 times
Default Environmental Toxins and Autism

I'm sorry nobody answered your question- It's like they didn't even 'hear' you.

Yes, environmental toxins kill bees, fish, birds, and mammals. Long Island is a slush fund of toxic soup. Mothers who are compromised when pregnant can be affected. The spikes in South-East Washington around the power plant are an example that comes to mind.

Don't ever expect this to see the light of day, however. The EPA are just the apologists for the chemical industry. You will hear it blames on everything else except the obvious.

One woman answered you 'Because it's better diagnosed on Long Island' Seriously? You were asking about something you viewed with the naked eye.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:49 AM

483 posts, read 668,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Hi guys. I don't know how to put it in PC terms, so i'll just put the question out there.

Why are there so many Autistics on Long Island? I've lived here 2 years, and I'm noticing it more and more; At malls, on forums, at games and events, restaurants, and even in traffic (bumper stickers). Is there a reason as to why there are so many on Long Island?

Is there something in the water? Something to do with the Nuclear power plant? Radiation from Radar testing across the LI Sound? Or could it be the great special ed programs? The great medical centers?

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not in anyway trying to be insensitive and offend anyone but I can't be the only one that thinks this. I'm sure there are some statistics that backs this up. Is there an autism heat map?? I am just curious as to why out of all places I've lived in the past, I encounter far more autistic people on Long Island than anywhere else.

Anyone?

1. All the institutions they forced these people into are now closed so parents have the children.
2. People are no longer embarrassed to bring neurodiverse family members out, the stigma is gone.
3. NYS teachers are better trained to spot autism and encourage early intervention and diagnosis.

4. Autism rates are pretty much the same but diagnosis is better, particularly in the case of very high functioning autism and the condition formerly known as Aspergers. A study from South Korea has shown that 1 in 38 people has autism in some form or another-our current diagnostic rate is 1/110 or so. We underdiagnose autism, and some people are not getting services they need.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:53 AM

I forgot to add people will move to locations where there are good services, so places like Mass., NY, and NJ are destinations for parents of children with disabilities.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,237,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
1. All the institutions they forced these people into are now closed so parents have the children.
2. People are no longer embarrassed to bring neurodiverse family members out, the stigma is gone.
3. NYS teachers are better trained to spot autism and encourage early intervention and diagnosis.

4. Autism rates are pretty much the same but diagnosis is better, particularly in the case of very high functioning autism and the condition formerly known as Aspergers. A study from South Korea has shown that 1 in 38 people has autism in some form or another-our current diagnostic rate is 1/110 or so. We underdiagnose autism, and some people are not getting services they need.
I still hear people talk about Aspergers all the time in terms of people having it. So it's been eradicated as an actual condition? What is it called now? Just another part of autism?

Old 07-12-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I still hear people talk about Aspergers all the time in terms of people having it. So it's been eradicated as an actual condition? What is it called now? Just another part of autism?

It is bundled into the Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) even though there are some differences. Asperger's is well known so people still use it, because it fits so many people in a stereotypical way. Basically Asperger's shows no significant delay in verbal skills and no Intellectual disability below IQ 70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island