U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 03:41 PM

3,645 posts, read 3,464,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm thinking about starting my own gang.
The "Take back LI" gang.
Sign me up

Even just 5 years ago LI was nowhere near as bad as it's approaching now. I actually remember when I was a little kid in the mid 1990s you could go to the Bay Shore Mall/South Shore Mall/Westfield Southshore and not have to worry about gangmembers and wannabe gangmembers causing trouble.

BTW: out of curiousty when did the Bay Shore Mall open?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 04:51 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,800,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I'm thinking about starting my own gang.
The "Take back LI" gang.
The police would probably give you guys MORE problems than they do the "OTHER" gangs, simply because they wouldnt be afraid to lean on you.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:45 PM

518 posts, read 1,000,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Sign me up

Even just 5 years ago LI was nowhere near as bad as it's approaching now. I actually remember when I was a little kid in the mid 1990s you could go to the Bay Shore Mall/South Shore Mall/Westfield Southshore and not have to worry about gangmembers and wannabe gangmembers causing trouble.

ive gone to the south shore mall for 15+ years, and ive never witnessed any fights, riots, shootings, stabbings, etc etc. Has there been incidents there over the years? sure, just like anywhere else. but its sure as hell not as bad as most people make it out to be. i guess some people just dont like being surrounded by minorities aka gangmembers aka illegals

Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 PM

2,378 posts, read 4,073,533 times
The grafitti is definately a bad sign. It's really bad in Port Jeff station as I've said, its so bad it makes New Cassel look much more appealing. As far as Bay Shore it has improved a great deal in the downtown. As far as the mall I never felt unsafe there, its actually better than it was before Westfield bought it. I still dont like the alot of signs being in a language other than english though, esp in Sears.
Port Jeff is really the community to watch now, its so bad I try to avoid it at all costs. And they still have not removed that grafitti along Rt.112 yet. Riverhead is also quite bad, esp by the train station, now that they opened a soup kitchen there its even seedier. The ZTZ is a joke. Riverhead really needs to get its act together and do something about the downtown area. Last time I waited for the bus there, last week, some guy got out from underneath the old train stored there, apparently just woken up. Definately another area to avoid. I'd rather wait for a bus in New Cassel anyday over that spot.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:18 AM

7 posts, read 14,409 times
from what I remember the root of the problem was "urban renewal" in the Station in the 60s when they levelled the old business district and replaced it with low income housing and parking lots...what a disaster

Old 03-21-2010, 10:10 AM

7,658 posts, read 10,166,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy1 View Post
from what I remember the root of the problem was "urban renewal" in the Station in the 60s when they levelled the old business district and replaced it with low income housing and parking lots...what a disaster

Where was the old district?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:26 PM

7,459 posts, read 9,625,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Sign me up

In the 70s... Remember when it first opened - lived in Babylon at the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island