Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 03:47 PM

7 posts, read 22,742 times

Advertisements

My fiance works in midtown and I work out in Mastic Beach. We are looking to buy something in an area more or less in between where we work that is close to a LIRR station. Our price range is from $150-$250 and we would like a reasonably nice, comfortable, and safe area.

Any suggestions? We found some Bayshore listings but don't know very much about that area. I'm thinking more like Smithtown or W. Babylon?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 04:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
In that price range, I assume you are talking about buying a 1 BR co-op or condo (at least if you are talking Smithtown). Just be careful with the common charges/maintenance, as just like property taxes, they always go UP, not DOWN, and if they are high ($700 and up) it might not make much sense to pay that on an apartment that is relatively low value (meaning your mortgage payment is less than the common charges) because if they are high your apartment might be less desirable for resale and if you can sell it, will be worth less than an apartment with lower common charges. When it comes to West Babylon, you might find a few houses in your price range, but I don't know what kind of neighborhood that would be in terms of safety.

As for Bay Shore, it can literally range from trailer homes to multi-million dollar houses. Someone more familiar with the area can hopefully step in and give you advice on the different neighborhoods.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
In that price range, I assume you are talking about buying a 1 BR co-op or condo (at least if you are talking Smithtown). Just be careful with the common charges/maintenance, as just like property taxes, they always go UP, not DOWN, and if they are high ($700 and up) it might not make much sense to pay that on an apartment that is relatively low value (meaning your mortgage payment is less than the common charges) because if they are high your apartment might be less desirable for resale and if you can sell it, will be worth less than an apartment with lower common charges. When it comes to West Babylon, you might find a few houses in your price range, but I don't know what kind of neighborhood that would be in terms of safety.

As for Bay Shore, it can literally range from trailer homes to multi-million dollar houses. Someone more familiar with the area can hopefully step in and give you advice on the different neighborhoods.
Thank you so much, that response was helpful!

Old 02-26-2010, 04:17 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silyss View Post
My fiance works in midtown and I work out in Mastic Beach. We are looking to buy something in an area more or less in between where we work that is close to a LIRR station. Our price range is from $150-$250 and we would like a reasonably nice, comfortable, and safe area.

Any suggestions? We found some Bayshore listings but don't know very much about that area. I'm thinking more like Smithtown or W. Babylon?

Thanks!!!

Take a look in Lindenhurst.

You may be able to score something decent mid to upper 2s
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...757_1107588052
Stay out of Copiague schools though.

Crooks

Old 02-26-2010, 05:21 PM

Thanks Crooks.. we can check out Lindenhurst, its just still a little far away from Mastic Beach.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks Crooks.. we can check out Lindenhurst, its just still a little far away from Mastic Beach.

No... thats a straight shot down Sunrise.
Not much further than W Bab and easier to get to Mastic than Smithtown.

I think Lindenhurst (and Kings Park to the N) are your best value plays in W Suffolk.

Crooks

Old 02-26-2010, 08:06 PM

Thanks Crooks! Great advice!! Is Kings Park pricey??

Old 02-26-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks Crooks! Great advice!! Is Kings Park pricey??

Not for the North Shore.

I really think Lindy is your best bet though.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 4,078 times
You can get them something from things remembered, its nice engraved stuff for the couple! You can find the store at roosevelt field mall

Old 03-21-2010, 09:15 PM

25 posts, read 60,949 times
Smithtown may be out of your budget but you can try Hauppauge, which is right next door. Taxes are cheaper. The only negative I would say is the train ride to NY is about an hour & a half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island