U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-17-2007, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Nevada
1,870 posts, read 4,105,019 times
Reputation: 1008

Advertisements

Please help me here. I have been reading alot about gangs on Long Island lately. I see MS-13 mentioned often. But how serious of a problem is it there on LI now in 2007? When did this problem start?

I moved from Huntington back in late 1996 and back then we had no shootings, nor stabbings at my HS, that being Walt Whitman HS, and we went to the Village often and hung out in Huntington Sta. Yes there were a good share of street fights, but one on one and using fists.

So has it turned from street fighting and muggings to Drive by shootings? If so how often?

What towns are having the serious murder, rape and drive by problems.

Now where i am now in Henderson NV only 20 mins from me its like a war zone. Every night these gangs are gunning each other down, killing the innocent, home invasions are at least 3 times a week out here, plenty of stolen cars, stores robbed and the gangs in the public schools here are horrible, very quick to pull the trigger.

Please explain how the LI gangs are compared to what i told you about Las Vegas Gangs.

Thank you
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2007, 05:38 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 250,143 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Please help me here. I have been reading alot about gangs on Long Island lately. I see MS-13 mentioned often. But how serious of a problem is it there on LI now in 2007? When did this problem start?

I moved from Huntington back in late 1996 and back then we had no shootings, nor stabbings at my HS, that being Walt Whitman HS, and we went to the Village often and hung out in Huntington Sta. Yes there were a good share of street fights, but one on one and using fists.

So has it turned from street fighting and muggings to Drive by shootings? If so how often?

What towns are having the serious murder, rape and drive by problems.

Now where i am now in Henderson NV only 20 mins from me its like a war zone. Every night these gangs are gunning each other down, killing the innocent, home invasions are at least 3 times a week out here, plenty of stolen cars, stores robbed and the gangs in the public schools here are horrible, very quick to pull the trigger.

Please explain how the LI gangs are compared to what i told you about Las Vegas Gangs.

Thank you
Usual crap.

LIs not South Central LA. but it aint Mayberry either.

Stay North of 25a or South of Montauk and you'll be fine.
Dont get me wrong theres other good places, but you gotta be selective.
C

Last edited by clamboy; 08-17-2007 at 06:43 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2007, 06:40 PM
 
553 posts, read 1,304,045 times
Reputation: 89
Its not as bad as it sounds,but it is around ,some worse then others. I have noticed the home invasion crap inching eastward, I heard bayshore had one last night, alot of these, not all, but alot seem to involve drug dealers getting ripped off. The gang crap they seem to be killing each other most of the time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2007, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Nevada
1,870 posts, read 4,105,019 times
Reputation: 1008
Default gangs on LI

When we moved from LI to Vegas back in 1996 the gangs here were just getting started. What you have going on now is what we had in 1996, 1997, now forget it! Its horrible. Now they target not only other gangs but the innocent. 5 blocks from my house an attempted home invasion went the right way in my opinion, the home owner gunned the guys down as they entered, but usually the gangs get the best of the innocent in Vegas.

I'm glad to hear that drive by shootings arent a huge issue on LI as they are here.

But does anybody know how the Huntington area is , around the Whitman mall? Still a safe , nice place to raise kids?

Thanks again



Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Its not as bad as it sounds,but it is around ,some worse then others. I have noticed the home invasion crap inching eastward, I heard bayshore had one last night, alot of these, not all, but alot seem to involve drug dealers getting ripped off. The gang crap they seem to be killing each other most of the time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2007, 08:27 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 250,143 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
When we moved from LI to Vegas back in 1996 the gangs here were just getting started. What you have going on now is what we had in 1996, 1997, now forget it! Its horrible. Now they target not only other gangs but the innocent. 5 blocks from my house an attempted home invasion went the right way in my opinion, the home owner gunned the guys down as they entered, but usually the gangs get the best of the innocent in Vegas.

I'm glad to hear that drive by shootings arent a huge issue on LI as they are here.

But does anybody know how the Huntington area is , around the Whitman mall? Still a safe , nice place to raise kids?

Thanks again

Id stay away from S Huntington and Huntington Station at all costs.

Huntington Station is like Corona now.

C
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2007, 10:04 PM
 
Location: The Bronx
1,587 posts, read 186,714 times
Reputation: 277
Default Beware the respectable 53 year old white guys

One of them killed my sister, and got off with a suspended sentence.

Wait till the local dimwits discover crystal meth. If I were as embittered and negative as some people around here think I am, I'd cheer them on.

Parents, tell your children: LOOK OUT! Don't trust these bastards to stop for a stop sign, or a red light.

The last thing I'd ever want: for everyone to understand how I feel...about this loathsome place.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2007, 08:13 AM
 
6,764 posts, read 13,997,270 times
Reputation: 4476
Dedalus--I'm sorry about your sister.

I would not advise moving back here, especially if you have kids and can't afford to hide out in the few remaining 'nicer towns.'

People say crime is EVERYWHERE but I don't believe so. Look at your demographics and then your crime. Look when the shift happened.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2007, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Eternal State of Confusion
7,316 posts, read 8,690,282 times
Reputation: 9497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Wait till the local dimwits discover crystal meth.
This is my big fear!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2007, 10:42 AM
 
1,876 posts, read 250,143 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
This is my big fear!!!
Its like that Yeast Infection that wouldnt go away.

C
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2007, 11:30 AM
 
991 posts, read 3,363,898 times
Reputation: 270
I worked at Huntington Hospitals in the late 1980's, Huntington was so nice then it is a shame.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top