U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:56 AM

385 posts, read 694,940 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what the law is on this. As far as cutting the branches from my tree that are hanging over. How far can they cut? From what I understand they are completely within their right to cut anything hat hangs over. Aside from that my nieghbor didn't let me know that he was having my tree trimmed and the tree company didn't knock on my door to let me know they were coming in my backyard. I have a lock on the fence and one of the workers climbed over into my backyard. Mind you I have a dog. Anyway, I'm in bed half asleep in the morning and I hear my fence rattle and some guy walk past my window. I jump up and run into my backyard and start yelling at the guy. Surprise, he doesn't speak english. I'm bugging on the guy about being in my backyard until he finally leaves. They call the owner and he comes by like 5 minutes later. Rings my door bell and when I answer theres some big guy eating out of a bowl on my front deck. Real friggin professional. He asks me whats up and I am explaining to him that noone told me anything and this guy comes in my backyard over the fence, etc. He cuts me off to tell me he can cut my tree if they want, it would just look better if they do it from my side. They guy was completely full of himself. Regardless I end up letting them do it from my side. When they were done they left my fence open and didn't clean all the debris up. It also looks as if they cut more than they needed to. I'm gonna have a work with my neighbor when I see him. Anyone have a take on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 03:06 AM

11,449 posts, read 8,427,356 times
Hmmm I am having a similar problem with the people behind me. I never see them and their property looks like something out of a horror movie.Their property is the reason I had mice in my garage at one point. Anyway, if someone else's tree branches are hanging over your fence or yard they have the right to cut them. As far as going onto your property to do it then they need permission. The neighbor behind me, well their trees are leaning onto the fence badly and eventually we want to put a new fence (pvc) it's wood now. my husband is willing to talk to the neighbor to cut the three trees down completely and pay for it ourselves. I must first talk to the people who live next door to find out what kind of neighbors they are and if they are pains in the butt to deal with. Personally what the neighbor did to you is ballsy. He should have consulted you before they came, asked about coming into the yard also the debris left should be cleaned up by him or the guys who did the tree cutting. That's just wrong. Any over hang on your property from a neighbors trees you are allowed to cut down anything further has to be taken up with the neighbor. Talk to you neighbor rationally if that's possible.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:09 AM

The only good thing I can say about this neighbor behind me is they never bothered us the 8 years we are here, any home improvements done, loud noises they have never said boo. In fact they are hardly ever home. I just hope once I do have to confront them about the trees they don't start to become a problem.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 AM

9,123 posts, read 10,680,302 times
They can trim back to the property line and sometimes it is easier to do it from the tree owner's side. However, they need your permission to do that. When my neighbor cut down the tree on the property line she asked if they could use our driveway because that was really the only way they could get it done. We said yes because we wanted the tree gone too. But they couldn't just come on our property and do what they wanted. It is YOUR property and YOUR tree.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:05 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,197,165 times
Your Neighbor was wrong and obviously lacks tact. However you have to continue to live next to him. Your probably better off dropping it for now.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:07 AM

448 posts, read 823,910 times
Not to thread jack, but I have a related question. During Irene, three locust trees snapped about midway in the rear of our yard. 2 were on my property and 1 was on my neighbors side, just by a few feet, but clearly on his side. The one on his side, the upper trunk fell and became wedged in a 'Y' shaped tree so the upper trunk is suspended from the ground hanging over my yard, though still poorly attached to the trunk on his side. My trees are my problem obviously, but am I responsible to hire someone to remove the part of his tree that fell and is hanging over my property? I am having some pruning done anyway, and will get that hanging tree removed, but is that his responsibility or mine?
I did bring it up when I saw him but he didn't offer much in the way of responsibility, saying I was lucky it got wedged and spared my shed.
My plan was to get the quote from tree company for removal of the hanging section, and then ask how much more to remove the trunk on his property (at least 15' tall), then approach neighbor and tell him the tree costs X to remove do you want to have the trunk removed, or do you want to split removal of entire tree, etc. Any advice?

Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 AM

1,560 posts, read 2,032,935 times
Quote ''I did bring it up when I saw him but he didn't offer much in the way of responsibility, saying I was lucky it got wedged and spared my shed."

I would just cut what ever is on your side.It would probly be cheaper for you than doing the whole tree together,after all he didn't offer.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:35 PM

Any overhang to your property can be cut down. The neighbor is not going to offer to help pay for that. Would you offer to help pay if your tree branches wer on his side? Something to think about

Old 09-14-2011, 01:29 PM

900 posts, read 822,997 times
I am actually curious what the etiquette was for trimming trees around street signs...namely street signs that are the names of streets. Does the town take care of that or the owner?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:55 PM

You would have to ask the town, if it were me I'd do it myself because the town takes so freaking long to repond to your request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island