Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:30 PM

131 posts, read 298,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendy View Post
My husband, middle schooler and I are moving to Long Island in a month or two. Job transfer. My husband has looked a round a bit and loves certain neighborhoods (Smithtown, Lake Grove) but we can not afford to buy there and get what we want in a house. (Basically no work needed). Office is near Plainview.
He came across some beautiful houses with a Yaphank address that look promising but I need to know more about that area and the school districts. I am looking for good school district, a nice neighborhood with kids, proximity to shopping. Any info you can give me good or bad would be good. We are definitely moving there so telling me not to move there isn't an option. $400,000 is the very top of our budget.
As someone who was exactly in your position about 15 years ago, my family and I moved to Yaphank and have happily been here ever since. Since it is geographically a large area, you have have to be careful of some sections over others. Generally, if you live by Yaphank lake or Southhaven park, those are by far the better areas (minus some gun noise for the latter depending where you are situated). I would avoid the "German Town" and "West Yaphank" sections as the latter is really Gordon Heights - an area that would make any sane adult lose all bladder control if you were to travel there at night.

You'll either be in the Longwood (north half of town) or South Country (souther half) districts, both of which are known to be god awful. Do what most do here, send your kids to private school.

Another minus - there are scarce to no quality restaurants out here. You know you live out in the sticks when you have to go to Patchogue to find a decent restaurant.

Travel time to both the LIE and/or Sunrise is within five mins thanks to Yaphank ave (straight road, little traveled, and only one light). I used to live in St. James - I get to my work place in central Nassau County at exactly the same time since access to the highways is very seemless here.

Don't worry about that Levyville affordable housing crap - it was proposed by Steve Levy, who is on his way out for getting caught doing what all politicians do - be a crook.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 12:32 PM

764 posts, read 1,546,535 times
Look at the south shore in town of babylon . Like babylon village, west babylon , lindenhurst. All have decent schools and are suburban. Shouldnt be a bad drive to nassau county either.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:41 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,720,071 times
Crooks is right on the schools. RP & MP both trump Longwood & South Country according to https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/. If OP is dead set on deep Suffolk, they might be better off going the extra mile. Plus a lot more things to do/shopping in RP.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:04 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,104,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Crooks is right on the schools. RP & MP both trump Longwood & South Country according to https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/. If OP is dead set on deep Suffolk, they might be better off going the extra mile. Plus a lot more things to do/shopping in RP.
Thanks Peqs

Its really all I'm trying to say.

I do think it's worth the last mile and I do believe that some of the best parts of this Island are about as North, South and East of the LIE that you can find.
Rarely do I hear them complaining about it. In fact, I think they like it that way.

Peace

Crooks

Old 09-15-2011, 02:21 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
You Sir are high.
; )

All kidding aside factor in schools, MP or RPSD and MP wins nine ways to Sunday

IMO MP is much, much, much, nicer than Yaphank.
(As well as the 135 corridor.How did we get here lol?)
Perhaps you're unfamiliar with its rich history as well?

Crooks

I understand, but I am saying my personal opinion is Yaphank. Just like it better. Also I am not a north shore person i avoid it like the plague (dont shoot me please )

Old 09-15-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
I understand, but I am saying my personal opinion is Yaphank. Just like it better. Also I am not a north shore person i avoid it like the plague (dont shoot me please )
Its cool. I can easily see why, Yaphank has plenty of charm but its near some really unflattering neighbors.

It is what it is, all shores aside, its just not in the same camp.

Crooks

Old 09-16-2011, 08:02 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Its cool. I can easily see why, Yaphank has plenty of charm but its near some really unflattering neighbors.

It is what it is, all shores aside, its just not in the same camp.

Crooks

Totally agree with the unflattering neighbors. I also am one of the ones who agrees with you on the "middle is slipping" theory. In my book you shouldn't compare mid island towns to shore towns (North or South) Yaphank is one of my exceptions...add Manorville too.

Best

Savaged

Old 09-16-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Totally agree with the unflattering neighbors. I also am one of the ones who agrees with you on the "middle is slipping" theory. In my book you shouldn't compare mid island towns to shore towns (North or South) Yaphank is one of my exceptions...add Manorville too.

Best

Savaged
I completely agree.

Both gems.

Crooks

Old 09-28-2011, 10:41 AM

26 posts, read 40,943 times
Hey all I've been off here for a while but have read all that you put on here since away. In response to some of the posts...hubby is up there working already and is fully aware of the insane traffic on Long Island over the past two weeks he has been fully exposed. If we do go far out east I think after hearing what most people said we would look at Rocky Point or Miller Place. However, we came across a house that is turn key, under our budget, and would work for us in Coram. It is in Comsweuge (sp?) schoold district. Any thought on that area and school district. I know that I am kinda all over the place here, but would love thoughts.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM

26 posts, read 40,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendy View Post
Hey all I've been off here for a while but have read all that you put on here since away. In response to some of the posts...hubby is up there working already and is fully aware of the insane traffic on Long Island over the past two weeks he has been fully exposed. If we do go far out east I think after hearing what most people said we would look at Rocky Point or Miller Place. However, we came across a house that is turn key, under our budget, and would work for us in Coram. It is in Comsweuge (sp?) schoold district. Any thought on that area and school district. I know that I am kinda all over the place here, but would love thoughts.

Also he has a work vehicle which they pay for the gas...so that does help us out a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island