U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:45 AM

372 posts, read 408,146 times

Advertisements

If it's not only the property tax, they get it in the form of every other tax.

NY can no longer get us on income and property tax so they their mone y with a Gas Tax, Cigerette tax, cellphone service tax and whatever else you name it. They're squizing us from everything and fleecing our paychecks to pay pensions and everly increasing payroll for public unions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 09:52 AM

123 posts, read 131,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
This seems in line with the Tea Party mantra. Members are all in favor of doing things to cut spending and save money until it is realized that it will actually affect them personally. Suddenly that good idea is not so good anymore.
you're quite wrong. A school.district is its own govt entity. If you want to lower school taxes, you do it at your districts level. You clearly don't understand how districting works in ny.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 AM

839 posts, read 800,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI*TEA View Post
you're quite wrong. A school.district is its own govt entity. If you want to lower school taxes, you do it at your districts level. You clearly don't understand how districting works in ny.
I understand how it works fine, and how it works is part of the problem. You act as if the structure is etched in stone and cannot be changed. Consolidating districts will save a lot more money than the district trying to work it out at their level, which is reflected in the fact that school budgets go up every year and are already a disproportionately large part of a home owner’s property tax bill.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:04 AM

307 posts, read 237,298 times
Good luck in getting school districts to merge on a large scale basis.

Quote:
I understand how it works fine, and how it works is part of the problem. You act as if the structure is etched in stone and cannot be changed. Consolidating districts will save a lot more money than the district trying to work it out at their level, which is reflected in the fact that school budgets go up every year and are already a disproportionately large part of a home owner’s property tax bill.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Yes because consolidating is fair and equitable. Look how great it works in NYC.

While were at it let's merge households.....that will really save us money. I got first dibs on the nicest mansion in sands point.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
Good luck in getting school districts to merge on a large scale basis.
People on LI want what they can no longer afford - or at least what they apparently don't want to pay for tax-wise - based on their complaints of $10K tax bills.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI*TEA View Post
Yes because consolidating is fair and equitable. Look how great it works in NYC.

While were at it let's merge households.....that will really save us money. I got first dibs on the nicest mansion in sands point.
I understand. Poor areas get what they can afford and the more affluent ones get what they can afford based on property values. Only that doesn’t seem to be working as even the more affluent areas are complaining about how much it costs to run their school districts. But you seem to be saying that having 127 sets of administrators, trucks, and supplies is more desirable than helping each other so you don’t have to associate with the less fortunate. Keep waiting for that magic lower cost school district cure.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:48 AM

15,856 posts, read 17,126,862 times
Quote:
People on LI want what they can no longer afford - or at least what they apparently don't want to pay for tax-wise - based on their complaints of $10K tax bills.
Is that a cheap tax bill to you that nobody has a right to complain about? Where do you live and what do you pay in property taxes?

Old 09-15-2011, 12:11 PM

You want lower school taxes? Have teachers and admin contribute their fair share towards their pensions and health care. 20-25%, similar to the private sector. Problem solved.
Back on topic, Mangano is saving Nassau residents over $700 a year in tax increases. Be grateful we have someone looking out for the taxpayer.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Is that a cheap tax bill to you that nobody has a right to complain about? Where do you live and what do you pay in property taxes?
I didn’t say it was cheap, nor did I say that they don’t have a right to complain. What I’m saying is that the school structure on LI in which each area runs their own school district has become unsustainable based on what people want to pay in taxes in relation to the services they want for those taxes. A cost effective way to drive down the costs of redundant services could be for districts to combine into groups or form a large cooperative. These ideas don't seem to get much discussion though.

I'm in North Carolina now. I did leave behind a $10K a year tax bill for a $2200 one. Just one of the reasons I moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island