U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM

3,552 posts, read 3,781,717 times

Advertisements

Your neighbor sounds like they need a life..Maybe you will find some suitable violation to report them on seeing they are so consciencious.. I doubt a town inspector was out on a Monday morning just looking for violators, heck I doubt if they even made it in to work on time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 03:12 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,034,812 times
Putting trash out too soon before pick up time is prone to having rodent problems.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:23 PM

1,977 posts, read 2,036,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Putting trash out too soon before pick up time is prone to having rodent problems.

So its better to store it in your house or garage??

The OP was throwing out basement garbage, not food. A rat isnt going want to eat a high chair being thrown out?

Old 09-16-2011, 04:56 PM

1,820 posts, read 2,134,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
No illegal rental in the mix at all.
Just a case of a nosy neighbor who wants to be the sherriff of the development ; he has annoyed many the neighbor here.
Extra garbage ; guilty there ; I admit that.

didnt know there was rules about the amount of garbage, how long before it is picked up that you can put it out ; is there also a rule about the time that the empty garbage bins need to be put away ; if so, most of my neighbors are guilty there.

Just feels like big brother is constantly watching .
You aren't certain that it was a neighbor, you are just assuming, correct?

Old 09-16-2011, 07:14 PM

4,250 posts, read 300,783 times
Oh for goodness sake, it wasnt food garbage at all. It was all in black garbage bags. I jsut think it is absurd that I cannot put out garbage 36 hours before it is picked up without a complaint. It is also crazy that a neighbor or whoever complained has absolutely nothing else to do besides go to the town. Its not that I have garbage here for days on end ;If anything, even my garbage bins are brought in within an hour of it being picked up ; My kids bring them in before the bus comes.

It was a notice of summons and I had 5 days to comply or the town would pick it up and send me the bill. It was gone the next day as any proper homeowner would do. If it was there for weeks on end, I would complain, but really ; 36 hours ; thats a little much I think.

If it was my neighbour that left it, i would probably wait a week or two and see what was happening but I would never go to the bother of going to the town and complain.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:20 PM
GPC

990 posts, read 1,531,395 times
I thinks it's ridiculous too. I'm actually guilty of doing much worse than you. When we moved last year, the entire front of my house was filled with garbage (i.e. mostly stuff we either couldn't get on the moving truck or stuff we felt it was time to part with anyway). We tossed so much stuff some of it overflowed into the driveway! It was an insane amount of stuff. I can only imagine what the garbagemen muttered when they pulled up the following week. It was a holiday weekend to boot and all of it sat at the curb for 5 days before the next garbage day rolled around. I was extremely nervous we were going to get a phone call from the new owners saying they got a violation and were mailing it to us. Thankfully that didn't happen.

So as long as it was gone the next day, you didn't have to pay a fine?

Last edited by GPC; 09-16-2011 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 09-16-2011, 07:56 PM

3,031 posts, read 3,067,069 times
This is a comment on the distaff side. please don't clobber me for this. Just this week, I had to attend a wake in one of the outer boroughs of NYC, a very nice area in fact, and we had to walk for several blocks to park. I actually said to my hubby, wow, I never realized how nice it is not to have to look at peoples garbage till now. The streets had bags outside of homes awaiting pick up the next day and it was about 4 o'clock. They were not messy by any means, just bag after black bag of garbage.

Are there special situations like moving, for example, when it can't be avoided, sure, and I am not talking about them but as a general rule, I will never put garbage out till at least dusk, so no one has to look at it. For me it is just a simple courtesy to my neighbors and they all feel likewise, thankfully.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:05 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,608,705 times
I'd say that was the fastest that Brookhaven has moved on...anything.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:59 PM
sci

81 posts, read 101,690 times
Angry Garbage

Sounds like it's time to move out of the neighborhood if thats what the neighbors have to do with there time. Just too many people in a small area, that is getting smaller every day, with too much time on there hands.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:58 PM

699 posts, read 821,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I'd say that was the fastest that Brookhaven has moved on...anything.
Nope. I have a quicker one for ya. Pet birds were yelling cuz I was late with dinner. They were in my house, in cages. Neighbor called someone instead of talking to me and presto! Brookhaven code enforcement showed up at my door not even an hour later- at night! Birds had been fed french toast by then (their fave) and were quiet till the guy came to the door! They are better watchdogs than my dog! I was told it was an "unofficial" visit (seems to me the neighbor knows someone in town) and he could hear the birds. Well yeah, duh! You are at my door! A few days later, another visit from code enforcement. This time the guy threatened a fine and said "they" have been here before. Um, how so? Wasn't that an "unofficial" visit? He said he could hear the birds from the neighbor's house- I asked if he listened and were they noisy for a solid 15 minutes. He said he didn't know- he just heard them. Well sucker- you didn't do your job (cuz they were not yelling for 15 minutes) and now you threaten me with a fine? Good old Brookhaven. If ya know someone, anyone can be harassed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island