Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:09 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,027,059 times

Advertisements

I gave the cable guy a great tip a few months ago, I told him to switch to FIOS like I was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 05:36 AM

20,895 posts, read 28,304,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdatazz View Post
because if they treat you and your house with respect, you tip them. its called "manners". I tip them if they come out on the weekends as well. who wants to work on the weekends?
I agree

Old 09-19-2011, 06:51 AM

19,171 posts, read 16,990,577 times
Quote:
the next time a repairman comes to your house, ask them how much they make then you may reconsider not tipping the person.
Maybe they should ask me how much I make and tip me...

As much as I would love to bring a FIOS box to a service center to be checked out they don't exist. This mindset that whoever does their job deserves additional compensation is ridicules. I do realise that certain professions such as waiters are paid lower because of the tips they will receive.

As some have mentioned tipping regular service providers at the holidays is fine but have to bribe the garbage man because they took an extra bag is too much.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,747,901 times
In the old days, you'd "tip" the cable guy and get a little something in return. But those days are long past. It's his job, he's not doing anything he's already paid for. In the days before FIOS, if my cable went out and I did the work to fix it at the prompting of their customer service, did I did money off my bill? They don't tip me for doing their job, why should I tip them?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:35 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,575,640 times
Not unless they went above and beyond.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:24 PM

939 posts, read 2,676,803 times
Would u tip a plumber or electrician who make $25.00+ an hr???

Quote:
the next time a repairman comes to your house, ask them how much they make then you may reconsider not tipping the person.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:45 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,801,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

Find me a cable guy that makes that much then I will have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Plus find me a plumber that cheap so I can call him. All the plumbers I used charge at least $150 to step in the door.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
yes I would and I did when I had a sewer problem. It was 20 bucks but it was well worth it.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:37 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,679,294 times
It's a service you pay for why an additional payment in the form of a tip??makes no sense too me.please explain why??I delivered to retail stores for 28 years and never received a tip only criticism if I was late or charged too much JMO

Old 09-20-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
It's a service you pay for why an additional payment in the form of a tip??makes no sense too me.please explain why??I delivered to retail stores for 28 years and never received a tip only criticism if I was late or charged too much JMO
Because they work just as hard as anyone else (regardless of what they get paid) My husband is also a blue collar worker and he gets tips from time to time. If you give good service then getting a tip is a bonus. I am not saying i tip every person under the sun. Well if a person does not do a great job or is late to a job why should they get a tip?? The person who gets the tip is going to remember the person who gave it to them and when that person calls for service again they may come back and do another great job, but not always. Trust me blue collar workers appreciate tips. Is it mandatory?? no but it is nice to receive a little something extra, it tells them "hey you did a great job and thanks for taking care of the problem" JMO but I think those that don't tip at all are either cheap or just inconsiderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island