Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 02:47 PM

43 posts, read 100,457 times

Advertisements

I relocated out of state about a year ago after living in Lindenhurst for 17 years. There are two parking lots for the Lindenhurst Long Island Railroad. One is for residents and the other is for non-residents. Residents pay a smaller fee to park in the lot. You can obtain the permit at Village Hall on Wellwood Avenue. I'm sure once your there, you will get a good feel for the area. I shopped at Waldbaums, King Kullen on Wellwood Avenue and Shop & Stop in West Babylon. The one thing you can't beat is Patsy's bakery! Great cookies and pastries! Foods Italia is in N. Lindenhurst on Wellwood Avenue and they have very good sausage and heros. You have Gemellis in Babylon Village and a mall in either direction on Sunrise Highway! The drive to Forest Hills shouldn't be too bad. Once you get on Southern State Parkway, you will find your fastest route to the Grand Central Parkway. Good luck in your new home and enjoy Lindy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 07:11 AM

244 posts, read 539,737 times
I've lived in Lindenhurst for 17 years now. My two kids were born and raised here, one is a HS senior, the other a sophmore. I can't say anything bad about the schools, they have done a great job of educating my kids, to a degree that I do not see especially outside of New York. Once in a while there's a WTF moment with the schools, such as "If they are crying about money, why did they do THAT?". To this day, I continue to shake my head about why they keep the pool operating in the high school. But that's a subject for another thread

Shopping, well, I'm not sure if you would get the circulars if you aren't subscribed to Newsday (they come bundled on Thursday), but check around at the following: Waldbaums, Pathmark (West Babylon), Shoprite (WB), King Kullen (N Lindy), Stop and Shop (WB), and other outlying areas (IGA - Copiague?). Check out what they have on sale that week, compare with what you need that week, and go to the one with the best mix of what you need that's on sale Gas is expensive enough that if you go to each one just for the on-sale items, you're probably not going to save a whole lot. While doing that, you become familiar with each store's brands, meat, and other things to the point where you might actually go to one instead of another even when something's on sale.

Two criticisms of the local supermarkets: For whatever reason milk at Waldbaums, well, every 5 or 6 weeks, I get a dud gallon of milk. In that it "turns" in a day or two after buying. I've gotten to the point where I don't buy milk there anymore. There has to be someone there that leaves the milk on the loading dock, or somewhere else without refrigeration. Everything else is nice and fresh. (On edit - their produce section is probably one of the best in town, for supermarkets anyway). Shoprite, their deli department has bitten me way too many times to ever go back there. Cold cuts that turned brown the next day (salami), roast beef that smelled weird, and other signs that someone isn't closing or maintaining the coolers or the stuff is left out in the warm air far too long.

Otherwise, I can't complain about anything else in any of these stores. Well, except that you need "the card" to get the sale prices...

You already heard about parking, but I'll reiterate, you need a permit to park in the LIRR parking lots. Visit Village Hall.

Village of Lindenhurst, New York, Official Government Site

The village itself is nice. Code Enforcement can be a bit of a pain when you're on the wrong end of a code violation, but they are VERY responsive when you have a complaint. Like someone letting their dog run free. Complain in writing once, they get a warning. Complain again, they get a $500 fine if I recall correctly. Do not park cars in the street for longer than a week without moving them. You'll get away with it if no one complains, but if someone does, they'll check it out, and tow it a week later. Tags (registration and inspection) must be current if you park on the street, or you risk tickets. Cars on private property must be registered, and parked on "driveways" not "stored on property". And all the other things an incorporated village enforces. Again, great if you are on the right side, but if you mess around and get a complaint lodged against you, not so much

Good luck in your new home ...

http://villageoflindenhurst.com/lindenhurst_history.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island