U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 AM

5 posts, read 5,492 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!!
I have been lurking on the forum for the past few months while searching for a new home. I came across a town which I really knew nothing about in Lindenhurst, and absolutely loved it (loved babylon too, but it was over my budget). Lindenhurst seems to have a pretty good mix of what I was looking for- a bit more laid back than queens, and a little bit more energy than eastern suffolk county.

I expect to close on the home within the next 25 days, so I'm hoping to get a head start on learning the ropes. I am going to be commuting to Forest Hills, Queens every day, and will be using my car, and also the LIRR on some occassions (bad weather/when I do not need the car for work). Does anyone have a good route to take by car? I'm going to be living in the village, about 3 or 4 blocks north of montauk highway, and about 2-3 blocks from Wellwood Avenue.

How do I go about parking for the LIRR? I am hoping that the walk wouldnt be too bad, but of course on bad weather days I will drive to the LIRR. Is there Lindenhurst resident parking?

I dont have any children yet- but what is everyone perception of Alleghany Elementary, and the Middle School?

I've also heard a rumor that the CVS in the heart of the village on Wellwood will be moving to the corner of Wellwood and Montauk Hghwy- can anyone confirm?

Sorry for such a long winded post- im looking forward to getting out east. Although the commute and the taxes are going to be a bi*%$!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 12:04 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,192,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAPERRR View Post
Hey everyone!!
I have been lurking on the forum for the past few months while searching for a new home. I came across a town which I really knew nothing about in Lindenhurst, and absolutely loved it (loved babylon too, but it was over my budget). Lindenhurst seems to have a pretty good mix of what I was looking for- a bit more laid back than queens, and a little bit more energy than eastern suffolk county.

I expect to close on the home within the next 25 days, so I'm hoping to get a head start on learning the ropes. I am going to be commuting to Forest Hills, Queens every day, and will be using my car, and also the LIRR on some occassions (bad weather/when I do not need the car for work). Does anyone have a good route to take by car? I'm going to be living in the village, about 3 or 4 blocks north of montauk highway, and about 2-3 blocks from Wellwood Avenue.

How do I go about parking for the LIRR? I am hoping that the walk wouldnt be too bad, but of course on bad weather days I will drive to the LIRR. Is there Lindenhurst resident parking?

I dont have any children yet- but what is everyone perception of Alleghany Elementary, and the Middle School?

I've also heard a rumor that the CVS in the heart of the village on Wellwood will be moving to the corner of Wellwood and Montauk Hghwy- can anyone confirm?

Sorry for such a long winded post- im looking forward to getting out east. Although the commute and the taxes are going to be a bi*%$!!!

Lindenhurst is a fine town. I like the little downtown area on wellwood by the train quite a bit actually. Good location you found - close to all. If Lindenhurst is out east then i must live in another country . Hope your move goes well.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:50 PM

622 posts, read 644,197 times
I grew up in lindenhurst and my parents still live there. (would love to move back when I can afford it)

I am pretty sure the parking is village residents only. I could be wrong.

I grauated in 1999 so I dont know if they have changed but the schools in lindy are average. Not horrible but not super great. Nothing to worry about though. Your typical average schools.

Make sure you get your parking permit for the town of babylon in the spring. Venetian shores has one of the beach huts at the end of granada pkwy. If you have the babylon permit you get in for free. They have bands and everything in the summer. Spoon in the village is a cool place in the winter if you like the acoustic guitar type of music.

If you want to know ask away.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post

Lindenhurst is a fine town. I like the little downtown area on wellwood by the train quite a bit actually. Good location you found - close to all. If Lindenhurst is out east then i must live in another country . Hope your move goes well.
Thanks for the response!!! Lindenhurst is out east for me lol. First and only time I had ever been there (prior to looking for a home) was to attend a wedding at Chateau LeMeur (probably butchered that spelling). So, its far enough east for me not to really know about it.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
I grew up in lindenhurst and my parents still live there. (would love to move back when I can afford it)

I am pretty sure the parking is village residents only. I could be wrong.

I grauated in 1999 so I dont know if they have changed but the schools in lindy are average. Not horrible but not super great. Nothing to worry about though. Your typical average schools.

Make sure you get your parking permit for the town of babylon in the spring. Venetian shores has one of the beach huts at the end of granada pkwy. If you have the babylon permit you get in for free. They have bands and everything in the summer. Spoon in the village is a cool place in the winter if you like the acoustic guitar type of music.

If you want to know ask away.
I am a village resident (I know that bc the taxes!). How do I obtain a parking permit for the LIRR? And, how do I obtain the permits for the town of babylon? Is there a website that I can go to, or do I have to go in person to some location? Sorry if these are dumb questions... I was born in brooklyn, and raised in queens, so we do not have stuff like this!

I have heard that the spoon is pretty cool- any decent restaurants in the area?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:10 PM

3,371 posts, read 3,785,202 times
I'd just like to mention that an LIRR pass to Forest Hills costs $299, and takes about 31 off-peak rides to break even (or about 22 peak rides), so even if you don't think you'll be using the pass every day, it almost always pays to buy it.

See the fares here: MTA LIRR - New Fares - Effective December 30, 2010

Also, you can use that pass to travel between Zone 1 and Zone 9 at no extra charge. So if you wanted to use it to reach Manhattan (either from work or from home) it would be free, and if you wanted to make an intermediate trip (say, Babylon-Valley Stream), it would work as well.

Plus, you can use it on other lines (for example, you can travel from Hicksville to Mineola for free).

So basically, I'm just saying that a monthly pass is a lot of value.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:08 PM

137 posts, read 295,149 times
LINDY PRIDE !

Welcome. We've been here about 2 yrs and really like it. Good value, i think.

My son just started at Alleghany. Seems really nice. Went to 'meet the teacher' night last week and got good vibes.

the Library is great.

Joe's Gourmet is really good. Stella's is good but not great. Spoon is cool though i havn't had a chance to go there many times.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:18 PM

622 posts, read 644,197 times
Usually you can get the permits at phelps lane Pool,tanner park, or venetian shores. Sea haven on montauk highway is pretty good. The italian deli by the outback is really good. (best veal parm hero i have ever had to date). I think you get the lirr permits at village hall. There might be a waiting list.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Zing View Post
LINDY PRIDE !

Welcome. We've been here about 2 yrs and really like it. Good value, i think.

My son just started at Alleghany. Seems really nice. Went to 'meet the teacher' night last week and got good vibes.

the Library is great.

Joe's Gourmet is really good. Stella's is good but not great. Spoon is cool though i havn't had a chance to go there many times.
thats good to hear about the school!!!

Joe's I have been to, and it turns out that the owner is also from the same area of queens that I'm from.

Everyone from Lindenhurst- where do you do your grocery shopping? I know there is a waldbaums right there, but there is also a stop and shop in West Babylon- just wondering if its worth take a little bit longer ride?

Old 09-27-2011, 11:41 AM

1,416 posts, read 1,613,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAPERRR View Post
thats good to hear about the school!!!

Joe's I have been to, and it turns out that the owner is also from the same area of queens that I'm from.

Everyone from Lindenhurst- where do you do your grocery shopping? I know there is a waldbaums right there, but there is also a stop and shop in West Babylon- just wondering if its worth take a little bit longer ride?
My friends live in Lindenhurst, a few blocks south of Montauk Highway, at the edge of a canal. They love it. With all the bad stuff from Hurricane Irene, they didn't get a lick of water inside their home (meanwhile our basement flooded, but whatever). I visit them all the time, its a lovely little town. We go to the Spoon a lot on summer nights - their apple pie desserts with ice cream are scrumptious!!

as far as grocery stores, they hit the Super Stop n Shop on Montauk Hwy, probably closer to Copiague - heading toward Massap. There is also an IGA which they say has good prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island