U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 6,585 times
Default Where Can I Afford to Live on Long Island?

I am relocating to New York from Seattle, Washington with my job. Currently I pay about $1,250 in rent each month and make about 68K. (I just got a raise and used to make 65K). When I move to NY they will raise my pay for cost of living and should be in the range of 75K to 80K.

I would like to move to Long Island and take the train to work. I have visited Melville NY and really liked it because it seemed a bit urban but still had a lot of shops, stores etc for errands. I want to find something similar or may even move there.

My question is on top of what I pay for living in Seattle, outside of the cost of rent, what should I be calculating into my budget? What is the percentage of salary you lose due to the extra taxes? Do you know how much more expensive food is? Is insurance for your car extremely high with a good driving record?

I just don't know what I need to account for outside of what I am used to.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 03:08 PM

7,658 posts, read 10,714,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millcreekgal View Post
I am relocating to New York from Seattle, Washington with my job. Currently I pay about $1,250 in rent each month and make about 68K. (I just got a raise and used to make 65K). When I move to NY they will raise my pay for cost of living and should be in the range of 75K to 80K.

I would like to move to Long Island and take the train to work. I have visited Melville NY and really liked it because it seemed a bit urban but still had a lot of shops, stores etc for errands. I want to find something similar or may even move there.

My question is on top of what I pay for living in Seattle, outside of the cost of rent, what should I be calculating into my budget? What is the percentage of salary you lose due to the extra taxes? Do you know how much more expensive food is? Is insurance for your car extremely high with a good driving record?

Thanks!!
Honestly...it takes about 100k to be broke here.

Maybe check out Long Beach.
Crooks

Old 09-24-2011, 03:30 PM

3,173 posts, read 3,310,554 times
Sounds like you could swing about $2k-$2,500 a month (35% of salary is a safe limit). I'm assuming you are working in Manhattan? Check out rentals in Farmingdale, Merrick, Rockville Centre, Floral Park, Long Beach, Glen Cove, Lynbrook, Mineola, Valley Stream, Carle place/Westbury, Port Washington. Out in Suffolk you have Deer Park & Lindenhurst too with some rentals.

IMHO, the Long Beach LIRR branch is probably the worst out of all branches. The other towns listed have better LIRR.

Supermarkets may be the same or even cheaper here. Restaurants and gas will most likely be higher. And insurance with a good record should be close (possibly a little higher) to what youre paying now.

Apartments.com & craigslist
MLSLI.com > click on rentals on the left side menu. Then search some towns from there, hit CNTRL + mouse to select multiple towns.

Last edited by Pequaman; 09-24-2011 at 04:02 PM..

Old 09-24-2011, 06:06 PM

2,799 posts, read 2,753,267 times
If you are planning on using the Long Island Rail Road from say Mineola the train monthly is $223 and if you need to use the subway the metrocard is $104 for a 30 day period. The parking is $6 per day at the train station. If you lived in Melville the train would be either $254 driving to Syosset or $299 driving to Huntington. There is no LIRR in Melville so you would have to drive there to catch the train and then there is no doubt the parking at the station. Certainly isn't cheap here.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:42 PM

629 posts, read 759,924 times
Welcome to paradise! I'm not sure what the tax situation is in Washington - but we do have a near 9% sales tax and a 5%-9% income tax (so you are going to hand over a good chunk of your raise to Albany for the privilege of calling New York your new home).

Old 09-24-2011, 06:54 PM

257 posts, read 254,762 times
While I can't offer you where to live advice as I live like 60-70 miles east of Manhattan on eastern Long Island I am posting just to mention be sure to ask if heat is included or not in any place you might be interested in renting....old man winter is lurking just around the corner....brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Best of everything with your new job location and also in finding a place to live that you will enjoy!

Old 09-24-2011, 07:27 PM

199 posts, read 210,971 times
Quote:

Thanks!!
Move to Wyandanch or Brentwood. Much more affordable there.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:31 PM

1,096 posts, read 852,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inception937 View Post
Move to Wyandanch or Brentwood. Much more affordable there.
Nobody wants to Duck Bullets all Day

Old 09-24-2011, 09:50 PM

199 posts, read 210,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Nobody wants to Duck Bullets all Day
lol don't believe in what you see on the news my friend. There are always criminals in every neighborhood, in every city.

1 bad apple ruins the entire basket!

Old 09-24-2011, 10:55 PM

3,318 posts, read 3,504,361 times
Quote:

Thanks!!
Melville isn't too urban. It's not walkable or anything.

If you're working in Manhattan, you might want to try Mineola. It's right by the LIRR and is $223 for a monthly pass to Penn Station. Since it's walkable, and it has some buses that emanate from the station, you can actually give up your car and save some money (That's the great thing about living in the NYC area). I mean, if you can take the LIRR to work, and walk or take the LIRR or buses to get around, there really isn't much of a need for a car.

The problem is that Nassau County is shortchanging the bus company that's going to be providing the service, so it might be sort of crappy, but at least if the area is walkable, you can run errands in your neighborhood on foot.

If you were looking at Melville because you were going to work there, you might consider Amityville, Copiague, Lindehurst, or Babylon, all of which have good LIRR service (and Amityville is along the S1 bus in case you were looking to give up your car to cut back on expenses).

Either that, or you can try Farmingdale (you'd probably want to keep your car in that instance), which has good LIRR service as well (though the Main Line tends to have more delays than the Babylon Branch)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island