Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 16,861 times

Advertisements

Hi there -- we are a young, new family doing a ton of research on mid Suffolk County school districts.

No, I do not want to live on Long Island to get my hair and nails done every week, nor to spend my days shopping and tanning...I am living here because my son's grandparents are rooted here.

That being said, I would like a SAFE neighborhood for my son to grow up in -- but I cannot afford to sell my soul for it. I am certainly not interested in the "status" school districts, but I would like my son to get a good education. My main concerns are safety and a good, well-rounded education for the average student (he is only 16 months old right now). We have looked a bit in Lake Ronkonkoma for the Sachem school district, but even those houses are a bit too expensive right now (we are currently paying $1,300/month rent...will be able to afford more in the future, but not a ridiculous amount more). We would be willing to rent until we can afford our own house, so buying a house is not the main issue right now. Our main concern is finding the right district and the right neighborhood...we have plenty of time before our son starts school...

Any help would be appreciated! Please, no fighting! If anyone has any good information on safe neighborhoods in decent mid Suffolk County school districts, please post. Thank you!

Old 08-20-2007, 03:28 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,658,274 times
Rocky Point NY 11778

Old 08-20-2007, 04:19 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,480,379 times
A child can get a "good" education virtually anywhere. It all depends on the student and parents. You could send your kid to Roslyn or Cold Spring Harbor to only have him/her turn out to be a drug using screw-up. On the other hand your kid can go to Uniondale or Brentwood and end up going to Harvard. Success depends on the student's attitude and the attitude of the parents.

In a weird way it is almost better to go to a less competative school these days. Harvard and Yale don't want the top ten from Harborfields or Cold Spring Harbor. Instead they want the top student from a variety of schools. This ensures various forms of diversity. So it is actually better to graduate valedictorian from Deer Park or even Wyandanch than to graduate tenth from Harborfields.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:35 PM

553 posts, read 1,930,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorycassiopeia View Post
Hi there -- we are a young, new family doing a ton of research on mid Suffolk County school districts.

No, I do not want to live on Long Island to get my hair and nails done every week, nor to spend my days shopping and tanning...I am living here because my son's grandparents are rooted here.

That being said, I would like a SAFE neighborhood for my son to grow up in -- but I cannot afford to sell my soul for it. I am certainly not interested in the "status" school districts, but I would like my son to get a good education. My main concerns are safety and a good, well-rounded education for the average student (he is only 16 months old right now). We have looked a bit in Lake Ronkonkoma for the Sachem school district, but even those houses are a bit too expensive right now (we are currently paying $1,300/month rent...will be able to afford more in the future, but not a ridiculous amount more). We would be willing to rent until we can afford our own house, so buying a house is not the main issue right now. Our main concern is finding the right district and the right neighborhood...we have plenty of time before our son starts school...

Any help would be appreciated! Please, no fighting! If anyone has any good information on safe neighborhoods in decent mid Suffolk County school districts, please post. Thank you!
I hate to be the person to tell it like it is, but for 1300 a month you will not be in a good school. Unless you are in someones basement apt with 1 bd. My son and fiance paid 1200 for just that in holbrook [sachem]. I dont think there is much untill you hit around 1800 for rent.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:38 PM

289 posts, read 1,138,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
I hate to be the person to tell it like it is, but for 1300 a month you will not be in a good school. Unless you are in someones basement apt with 1 bd.
I was thinking the same thing myself.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:07 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,015,509 times
Islip, East Islip, Islip Terrace (as long as it's not Central Islip) all fine. Babylon as well.
These are the places I know best in 'mid Suffolk.'

Old 08-21-2007, 02:01 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,480,379 times
Arriving at your school district soon.

American Renaissance News: New Report Finds That Limited English Proficient Student Enrollment Is Surging Nationwide (http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2007/08/new_report_find_1.php - broken link)

Old 08-21-2007, 04:31 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,641,276 times
I have a comment...let's stop making excuses. If kids are bad or stupid, then that's what they are. Put a kid in a mansion and a private school...he'll be a genius...yeah right. Look at Mr. Michael Vick...$130 million and still no civility or common sense.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:56 PM

525 posts, read 2,346,344 times
No GCGuy, maybe you have not been on LI long enough. The wealthy areas of LI have proven without a shadow of a doubt, put a rotten kid in a mansion and private school and they skate through life, Mommy and Daddy's buy out money keeps the trouble they cause out of the public and courts, and keeps them in the private school with donations. Said useless human than gets bought into a good college, pisses the education away, comes and works for Daddy, and waits for inheritence while they party and cut a swath of destruction in their path.

This entire thread, and the LI board, has been taken over by the few that share their closed-minded opinions and provide a tainted and increasingly racist view of LI. So much for giving a poo about the OP's question-this is just another venue to show the true colors of the current "utopia."

OP, unless you agree with this junk, look at NJ or Westchester. Take your young family, the money and potential you have and put it to good use in an area that that not live by the "exclusive" mantra. If your values and beliefs are what you initially posted, LI is not the place for you. I do hope that these replies have showed you that, and if not look at other threads. I was a lifer on LI, grew up and lived in one of the "sterling" LI areas and I escaped as soon as my thick skull saw the future of LI. I refused to keep my money and business, which supports the economy and area, in a place that looks all shiney on the outside, but is very ugly behind the fancy doors and shiny cars. Many LI'ers in their little pockets, often relative newcomers to us "locals," are running scared and guarding the gates to ensure only the "right" people can move in. The illegal immigrants and mid- to lower-income people are scaring the crap out of them and causing the true ugliness in human nature to pervail.

As Clamboy loves to repeat, over and over, it will become "Millionaires and Migrant workers" because of the current course the area is on. "Normal" people, with progressive and open-minded attitudes that understand and embrace differences are finding it harder and harder to happy and accepted on LI. What a shame, I remember when LI was a diverse mix of blue- and white- collar, where the size of your house, the brand of your car, the color of your skin and the purse you have was not as important as your values and your ethics.

That is no more, and it will never be again as the "new" LI becomes it own worst enemy.

Last edited by JustSayNo; 08-21-2007 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-21-2007, 06:01 PM

991 posts, read 4,607,419 times
just say no very well put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island