Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:32 PM

418 posts, read 1,068,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Also...in the RP/MP/Port Jeff/Setauket area, stay out of Stop n Shop and Waldbaums .
Actually, for the last couple of years, I have been very happy to pick some fruits & vegetables from their "special" racks. Both stores, at various times, put out on racks (at a corner) produce that is either expired or about to expire. Sometimes, these are packed in a strange way - 1 grapefruit with 2 eggplants and 5 pears or something like that... Sometimes, they are so obviously rotten that is definitely not worth looking at them.
But, often, I get things that are perfectly fine at 10 to 50% of actual price!

For example, fresh basil that upon examination seems to have a couple of leaves that are starting to get dark - price $0.39 (normal price is $2.99). If I know that I will cook that same day, just throw away the couple of darker leaves and use it w/o problem.

Bought 2lb of lemons in great condition for $0.99, 5lb of apples for $1.50 etc.

It's a judgement call - I only buy them if they make sense and I won't end up throwing them away myself.

There was a period that Waldbaums was putting out on that rack lots of good stuff, but recently - barely so.

---
In Trader Joe's they have these "guacamole mix" boxes that are under-priced IMO. I don't make guacamole, but use the ingredients for other things. Each box is about $3.50 and contains 2 avocados (right there $3), 2 tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro... - totally worth it if you use these things normally.

---

For food shopping, I try to follow:
1) no list or a "flexible" list - meaning, I have an approximate idea what I need and what we normally use and keep my eyes open what is on sale.
If a recipe calls for walnuts but pecans are on sale or cilantro vs. parsley, I go with the substitutes if suitable (not a purist and stickler to recipes ....

2) good timing vs. immediate need - say, I know I don't need paper towels, but I use a particular brand that is on sale - I buy now.

3) pay attention to price per unit/weight for comparison purposes

4) no overstocking of perishables - I absolutely try to avoid throwing food away, so have a pretty good sense of usage and won't buy bigger quantity for a small price benefit.

Biggest savings on the food front come from avoiding eating out.
But, different things matter to different people, so it's a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 06:52 PM

418 posts, read 1,068,630 times
I personally got rid of the land-line phone, do not have a data plan (but have a small laptop with me at all times if wireless is available), and carry only basic cable for the TV (rarely watch it).

It irks me sometimes, when undergraduates send me e-mails from their iPhones - kids that I know are either getting financial aid or their parents are sacrificing a lot to pay increasing tuition...
I understand the peer pressure aspect, but still feel something's wrong in the way "coolness" is judged...

Old 10-03-2011, 07:16 PM

20,904 posts, read 28,333,542 times
Best Yet market has a good deal on fresh produce. There is one in West Islip and one in Oakdale

Old 10-04-2011, 04:32 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,785,857 times
If you are near a big target, I get a lot of my groceries there and if I use my target card, I get an extra 5% off. Then if I get a coupon for 10% off ; I have saved 15%.

Their meat is good.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:11 AM

20,904 posts, read 28,333,542 times
K-mart has a lay away plan. If you need to get gifts for the holidays start now with only a little bit to put down and a small payment I think every 2 weeks. By Christmas your stuff is all paid off. I wonder what other retail stores have lay away?

Old 10-04-2011, 06:23 AM

939 posts, read 2,308,332 times
twitter

i follow a whole bunch of twitterers (mostly nyc) who post free/low cost deals on a whole variety of items/events/things to do/etc...

Old 10-04-2011, 07:00 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,681,634 times
A good source for clothing is Salvation Army certain days have different sales one is 1/2 price etc.good deals at many thrift stores also.
As the Original Poster I would like to thank All for their inputs and Ideas.Talk it up and keep it up. Thanks to all. Qlty

Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,694,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
If you are near a big target, I get a lot of my groceries there and if I use my target card, I get an extra 5% off. Then if I get a coupon for 10% off ; I have saved 15%.

Their meat is good.
I have only bought ground beef from target. It doesnt taste bad at all but it certainly has a strange texture and color. Looks almost like play-doh.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,507,382 times
restaurant.com is pretty great. 1-2 times a month you can get $25 gift certificates for $3-$4. You do have to spend a minimum amount to use the credit, and some restaurants don't take them on weekends.

Read the fine print, but we use these all the time.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:59 AM

9,929 posts, read 23,110,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Best Yet market has a good deal on fresh produce. There is one in West Islip and one in Oakdale
There are several others. One is in East Northport. (One of the few supermarkets that still carry Open Pit BBQ sauce - the only one I use when I make spareribs )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island