Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:03 PM

50 posts, read 135,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Long Islanders can't take the SD out of the equation. It's a status thing...runs to the core of their consiousness.
I'm not a Long Islander, at least not yet.

But I know that my daughter comes first, before a big bedroom, before square footage and before anything else, so I will do my best to send her to the best school I can afford.

That's why I will always ask about the SD.

Also, we have a lot of teachers in my family, and I've heard too many horror stories to ignore the importance of good schools.

Elisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
OP, here is my reply from yesterday> http://www.city-data.com/forum/21125448-post49.html
As I mentioned, the Lynbrook house is more expensive. If the bank approves you for it, then you can afford most houses in Nassau at the low $400k range with ~$8k taxes. The basement is one with 6-7 ft ceilings or so? I would shop around.
Hi Pequaman,

I know you replied yesterday, thanks again. I wanted to post this question on its own, since the other thread was getting too long and old and it started out with a different question anyway.

I would say the basement had to be 6 ft not higher. I guess we need to keep looking. I think my dream would be Lynbrook SD#20 but even then... I have another question about that. I'll post another thread.

Elisa

Old 10-04-2011, 08:24 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,983,280 times
No, no kids yet but we plan to down the line. It's just that I know too many families who either
A. Live in a great SD area, but yet send their kids to Private school.
or
B. Live in a bad SD area, but send their kids there anyways yet their children are smarter than kids who attend schools in better SDs.

Given these 2 types of observations i've made on numerous occasions, I think one can "take the SD out of the equation" if they wanted to. Personally, I can't take it entirely out of my equation because I know it affects resale. I can't control that. But I don't think SD is the most important factor that so many parents make here on LI. The horror in some people's faces when I tell them we are looking at buying in Patchogue! lol. "But, but, but you're an (insert professional title here)! You don't want to send your kids to a Pat-Med SD!"
I grew up in Case "B" above and looking back now I remember being around classmates who couldn't cut an 8.5x11 into a perfect square without measuring with a ruler (6th grade), couldn't play "H-O-R-S-E" because they didn't know how to spell (5th grade)... and that's just off the top of my head. But I'm a product of that environment. And did I turn out that way? Am I just a rare exception? I think not. I'm not saying i'm smarter than any kid in my class, but I'm part of that 40% statistic of people that graduated college, and I live a comfortable life without having been to a Blue Ribbon School. Isn't that was parents want for their child, to be comfortable?
I strongly believe I got to where I am today not thanks to my schooling (college excluded) but the dedication and involvement of my parents in my academics.

- Sorry, I realize below is kind of a rant. I would have deleted it because it's not directly related to the OP's topic, but it took a while to write and seems like a waste to discard -

This is purely my belief which has been reinforced by observations I've made by other families that raise their children the same way, but I think it comes down to the involvement of the parents in the children's academics that are the most important. SD is a distant second. Sure I could live in Lynbrook, or wherever is considered the golden SD and have the kids run on autopilot, parents can be completely hands-off without a worry, but that's not what my parents did when they raised me. Ever since I was 6 my Mother would sit with me at my desk to do homework, study for exams, help with projects and anything I needed.I remember how she would really be into the subjects I was studying and telling me how she wished she was this interested in math and biology back when she was my age. My dad taught me how to use a Library Catalog, not my school. My parents did the best they could to send me to a good school, but we moved often due to the nature of my Father's job and I've attended schools that were not considered great, not even good.

I remember in 4th grade, Mrs. Harmon's class, I got accused of cheating on an arithmatic quiz. It was the kind where everyone would start with their papers down, and flip over to see how many you could solve in 1 minute. There were 60 problems. I finished the test before the time was up. I got accused of reading through the paper before we were allowed to flip it over. I had to retake the test, at the front of the class with her standing over me. I remember her amazment still today. They enrolled me in some type of Community College Math Program after that. It was fun but more BS than anything else because I had to sit through a normal college lecture (which was way over my head at the time so I didn't learn anything) with regular student and after that we just ate Kudos and played with geometric shapes all day.

Bottom line is I think I got to where I am today not thanks to my schooling (college excluded), but thanks to the dedication and involvement of my parents in my academics.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:04 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,333,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
No, no kids yet but we plan to down the line. It's just that I know too many families who either
or
B. Live in a bad SD area, but send their kids there anyways yet their children are smarter than kids who attend schools in better SDs.

Given these 2 types of observations i've made on numerous occasions, I think one can "take the SD out of the equation" if they wanted to. Personally, I can't take it entirely out of my equation because I know it affects resale. I can't control that. But I don't think SD is the most important factor that so many parents make here on LI. The horror in some people's faces when I tell them we are looking at buying in Patchogue! lol. "But, but, but you're an (insert professional title here)! You don't want to send your kids to a Pat-Med SD!"
I grew up in Case "B" above and looking back now I remember being around classmates who couldn't cut an 8.5x11 into a perfect square without measuring with a ruler (6th grade), couldn't play "H-O-R-S-E" because they didn't know how to spell (5th grade)... and that's just off the top of my head. But I'm a product of that environment. And did I turn out that way? Am I just a rare exception? I think not. I'm not saying i'm smarter than any kid in my class, but I'm part of that 40% statistic of people that graduated college, and I live a comfortable life without having been to a Blue Ribbon School. Isn't that was parents want for their child, to be comfortable?
I strongly believe I got to where I am today not thanks to my schooling (college excluded) but the dedication and involvement of my parents in my academics.

- Sorry, I realize below is kind of a rant. I would have deleted it because it's not directly related to the OP's topic, but it took a while to write and seems like a waste to discard -

This is purely my belief which has been reinforced by observations I've made by other families that raise their children the same way, but I think it comes down to the involvement of the parents in the children's academics that are the most important. SD is a distant second. Sure I could live in Lynbrook, or wherever is considered the golden SD and have the kids run on autopilot, parents can be completely hands-off without a worry, but that's not what my parents did when they raised me. Ever since I was 6 my Mother would sit with me at my desk to do homework, study for exams, help with projects and anything I needed.I remember how she would really be into the subjects I was studying and telling me how she wished she was this interested in math and biology back when she was my age. My dad taught me how to use a Library Catalog, not my school. My parents did the best they could to send me to a good school, but we moved often due to the nature of my Father's job and I've attended schools that were not considered great, not even good.

I remember in 4th grade, Mrs. Harmon's class, I got accused of cheating on an arithmatic quiz. It was the kind where everyone would start with their papers down, and flip over to see how many you could solve in 1 minute. There were 60 problems. I finished the test before the time was up. I got accused of reading through the paper before we were allowed to flip it over. I had to retake the test, at the front of the class with her standing over me. I remember her amazment still today. They enrolled me in some type of Community College Math Program after that. It was fun but more BS than anything else because I had to sit through a normal college lecture (which was way over my head at the time so I didn't learn anything) with regular student and after that we just ate Kudos and played with geometric shapes all day.

Bottom line is I think I got to where I am today not thanks to my schooling (college excluded), but thanks to the dedication and involvement of my parents in my academics.

I would argue that you might be the exception. my comment to your situation:
-your parents sounded very involved in your education and that enabled you to thrive.
-some kids regardless of the surroundings are smart and can adapt.

The parents who send to a private school in a good SD tend to be doing it for faith based reasons, or in some cases where its a really pricey area, b/c a great SD isn't good enough for their elite status or expectations.

I grew up in a good SD. I started off in "normal" classes and eventually asked to be switched to advanced/AP, mainly b/c the teachers were spending more time in disaplinary issues, than on teaching, and in cases dumbing down the material.

I would argue in a better SD, there are more options like that, more kids that probably are above average, and more parents who are involved with their kid's education. I don't think its 100%, or maybe not even 75%, but I'd play the odds that there is better opportunity and resources due to all these things.

IMHO, there are a few nice areas that I'd like to live if it weren't for SD. However, I'd argue that the vast majority of areas that have crappy SD's aren't super nice and I wouldn't want to live in to get a bargin. There are plenty of shades of gray in between.

You pay your money and make your choices. If you can afford a good SD, and a decent house, I'd recommend doing it. Resale value is definately better, its an easier sell in both good and bad markets and I'd personally be pissed off spending 8-10K in taxes in a SD that I wasn't happy with.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 AM

426 posts, read 957,314 times
Well, I don't get all of the fuss about SD either......I grew up going to Farmingdale HS which had students from Farmingdale, Amityville, North Massapequa and even some parts of Copaigue. As you may tell the student population wasn't the greatest, and even now I am not sure how good Farmingdale SD is compared to others in the area.....

The bottom line is if your kid is smart and applies themselves, no matter what SD you are in, they will succeed.

As far as property values.....I don't see why prop value is so closely assoc. with school district....for me, it would be square footage, lot size, and amenities.....

Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 AM

426 posts, read 957,314 times
Put it this way.....what would you rather have?

A small ranch for 450-500 K in Garden city with no property and 15K taxes, or a 4-5 bedroom colonial with a half acre, swimming pool, with about 9K taxex etc....in say, the Brentwood/CI area?? ....

For me, I'm going with the property every time......but thats my personal preference....

Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,951,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Put it this way.....what would you rather have?

A small ranch for 450-500 K in Garden city with no property and 15K taxes, or a 4-5 bedroom colonial with a half acre, swimming pool, with about 9K taxex etc....in say, the Brentwood/CI area?? ....

For me, I'm going with the property every time......but thats my personal preference....
I wouldn't own a mansion in Brentwood or Central Islip.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
No, no kids yet but we plan to down the line.

Ah ha! You will inevitably think different when you'll have kids. Your brain goes through some changes you can't even imagine (I'm not being sarcastic).

It's just that I know too many families who either

And these people are stupid

I think one can "take the SD out of the equation" if they wanted to.

I think it depends on how "bad" is the school. And don't forget "dangerous". Any school with bullets flying around is out of the equation for me.

There are many factors to consider: your child's nature and willingness to learn, his/her natural inclinations, the involvement of parents, the involvement of teachers and the overall of the other students.
I've been in classes where the students couldn't care less about the lesson, and made it so difficult for the teacher to continue with his subject that he just gave up, so how is your child supposed to learn in such an environment?

This is purely my belief which has been reinforced by observations I've made by other families that raise their children the same way, but I think it comes down to the involvement of the parents in the children's academics that are the most important.

True to an extent. Again you have different factors that will change the result. I grew up with the same parents as my sister, yet we are very different in terms of how we regard schooling and how much we loved to learn. I went to a great high school back in Italy, and I learned to respect teachers and the importance of studying, while she went to a high school here in Brooklyn, and oh boy, where do I start from? The classmates that didn't like to study? The coolness associated with abusing the teachers? The cutting classes?

Sure I could live in Lynbrook, or wherever is considered the golden SD and have the kids run on autopilot, parents can be completely hands-off without a worry, but that's not what my parents did when they raised me.

One thing doesn't exclude the other. You can be in a great SD and continue supporting your child's development.

Ever since I was 6 my Mother would sit with me at my desk to do homework, study for exams, help with projects and anything I needed.

My daughter is two. We already do that with her. Without pushing her, she already knows her alphabet, her numbers, her shapes, in English AND in Italian. She can work an iPhone and an iPad better than her grandmother, she says please and thank you and we do everything we can to help her develop her skills in a nurturing and caring environment. So I am not about to go and throw her off to the wolves of a "bad" school to undo all the good work she's done so far.

My parents did the best they could to send me to a good school, but we moved often due to the nature of my Father's job and I've attended schools that were not considered great, not even good.

This can happen to anybody, but if you are still in the position to be able to choose between good and bad, why choose bad?
Elisa

Old 10-04-2011, 09:40 AM

22,649 posts, read 36,634,928 times
I think your splitting hairs when you start going crazy over most of the school districts on Long Island....especially when you have a child who won't be in school for a few years. A lot can change in a few years. No question school districts with a certain "cache" whether deserved or not - those home values will hold up better. When the market goes crazy and values in most towns skyrocket, in a town like Garden City they will go into the stratosphere. Does you no good unless you're selling of course. In bad times, the values will not plummet as quickly or as drastically.

Unless you can afford one of the top 5-10 districts on Long Island and can stay out of the worst ones altogether, it's not worth nitpicking. And having sold a home in Garden City last year, no question I did way better than if I'd been trying to sell a mansion in CI. But again, you're talking about opposite ends of the spectrum. Not sure I'd go nuts calculating differences between NHP and FS.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:31 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,609,806 times
Default A map of the Farmingdale Union Free School District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Well, I don't get all of the fuss about SD either......I grew up going to Farmingdale HS which had students from Farmingdale, Amityville, North Massapequa and even some parts of Copaigue.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Farmingdale Union Free School District includes all or part of the Hamlet of Old Bethpage, the Hamlet of East Farmingdale, the Hamlet of North Amityville, the Hamlet of East Massapequa, the Village of Massapequa Park, the Hamlet of North Massapequa, the Hamlet of Plainedge, the Hamlet of Bethpage, the Village of Farmingdale and the Hamlet of South Farmingdale.

A map of the Farmingdale Union Free School District:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island