U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-04-2011, 04:29 PM

999 posts, read 1,052,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I dont think the unions can do diddly anymore to force companies to use union labor. In our old office building, the landlord hired a company to repoint the bricks. Not only not union but possibly illegal immigrants from Poland. We had the union Rat outside the building..never stopped the work nor forced the non-union workers out of a job. I think the only purpose for the rat is to hire the Shop Stewards son-in-law for $65/hour to watch the rat all day and keep it inflated.
You're an American, why didn't you call about the immigrant.... oh it doesn't directly effect you, well not yet...

The idea of the RAT is to inform you unskilled labor is there and it keeps others unions from coming in there....

It's a symbol that lets the other unions know that non-union unskilled labor is there..

But the dopey comment you made would be for town employees work, not union work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-04-2011, 04:40 PM

3,050 posts, read 2,864,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by construction man View Post
Hyundai112 new building is currently being erected by a Florida Company employing 4 illegal aliens paid something like $12.00/hour having fake SSN while I, as a local qualified steel worker who could do the job is just sitting home jobless. Why can't Hyundai112 employ local people who in the future could probably support their business. They always remind us to "support your local businesses" Why can't they do the same.

After a few complaints to immigration with no success. Who could I contact?
If you think the employees are illegal than file a complaint with your union, what are they there for?

As for your skills, as a union member it would cost $50+ an hour, thats why most buisnesses choose to establish themselves away from union controlled states.....

Unread 10-04-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Hyundai112 new building is currently being erected by a Florida Company employing 4 illegal aliens paid something like $12.00/hour having fake SSN while I, as a local qualified steel worker who could do the job is just sitting home jobless. Why can't Hyundai112 employ local people who in the future could probably support their business. They always remind us to "support your local businesses" Why can't they do the same.

After a few complaints to immigration with no success. Who could I contact?

Im gonna tell you something, well this only applies if you're a union member..... YOU BETTER start going to union meetings, sure sounds like you haven't a damned clue on what you should be doing...

I was a union member and if you were a participating union member all the time, you would sure as hell know who to call....

Better get involved now, or you won't be involved in anything....

Unread 10-04-2011, 06:12 PM

3,686 posts, read 3,791,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
You're an American, why didn't you call about the immigrant.... oh it doesn't directly effect you, well not yet...

The idea of the RAT is to inform you unskilled labor is there and it keeps others unions from coming in there....

It's a symbol that lets the other unions know that non-union unskilled labor is there..

But the dopey comment you made would be for town employees work, not union work.

Well..first of all, Im assuming they were illegal..they certainly were polish but that doesnt necessarily make them illegal. Strange how the building staff...all union employees...kept working in the building for the whole time the scabs were employed. Strange how deliveries were always made. That building kept open no matter if the Rat was there or not. Is that what is called Union Solidarity?

Oh...and why were they un-skilled? Maybe in Poland they did repointing and were quite good at their job. Just because they are non-union doesnt mean they are unskilled.

Unread 10-04-2011, 06:43 PM

418 posts, read 346,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post

I am sorry about the OP's job situation and many others that have been forced to that.

But there are 3 separate issues:
legal vs. illegal
skilled vs. unskilled
union vs. non-union

Illegal workers, skilled or unskilled are unacceptable, and should be reported. Seems the OP has pursued that.

Skilled (legal) workers for the right price (based on demand) would be my first choice - does not matter unionized or not.

Union workers, sadly can be unskilled or inefficient, in my experience.

For 6 years, there were persistent problems with the AC in my office - thermostat not working properly, air flow incorrect or terrible noise... For 6 years, union maintenance workers would come in triplets many times: two holding the ladder, one climbing to look things up. Then some almost convincing explanations to my questions - showing that they have identified a problem, then a lot of simulated activity - they charge per hour. Then - same old outcome.

One day, to my surprise, a single guy came - a new guy (just 2 months on the job). Brought his ladder and all the stuff he needed. Was extremely sharp, efficient and re-did the whole mess in the ceiling in 2 hours. Problem fixed.
I was so utterly impressed, I made some calls and wrote a letter of appreciation to his boss.

Then I learn through the secretaries that the union old-timers really despise this new guy because "he makes them look bad" and "works too fast". Apparently, the boss got other calls about work done right by the new guy...
I will take skilled over unionized any day.

It's anecdotal evidence, but adds up...

---
Good luck to the OP - no one deserves to struggle in the current situation if they have the skills.

Last edited by 2011littlehouse; 10-04-2011 at 06:59 PM..

Unread 10-04-2011, 08:51 PM

1,346 posts, read 951,054 times
Some things about the OP make me wonder.
How did he know the 4 workers are illegals with fame SS #'s? If he knew someone inside the job well enough to get that info, wouldn't you think that inside knowledge would get him the job - you know - it's the old WHO YOU KNOW NOT WHAT YOU KNOW.

Also, he hasn't returned here, after posting just this one post.

And how come everyone is talking about going to his Union? What did he say that makes you think he is in a Union? Maybe I missed something - if so, I apologize.

If this is a Legit thread, I'm sorry about the OP not being able to get the work. But I just feel something isn't right about the post.

Unread 10-05-2011, 04:22 AM

5 posts, read 2,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Some things about the OP make me wonder.
How did he know the 4 workers are illegals with fame SS #'s? If he knew someone inside the job well enough to get that info, wouldn't you think that inside knowledge would get him the job - you know - it's the old WHO YOU KNOW NOT WHAT YOU KNOW.

Also, he hasn't returned here, after posting just this one post.

And how come everyone is talking about going to his Union? What did he say that makes you think he is in a Union? Maybe I missed something - if so, I apologize.

If this is a Legit thread, I'm sorry about the OP not being able to get the work. But I just feel something isn't right about the post.

Yes I know them all, I worked for that company years back.

Unread 10-05-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Well..first of all, Im assuming they were illegal..they certainly were polish but that doesnt necessarily make them illegal. Strange how the building staff...all union employees...kept working in the building for the whole time the scabs were employed. Strange how deliveries were always made. That building kept open no matter if the Rat was there or not. Is that what is called Union Solidarity?

Oh...and why were they un-skilled? Maybe in Poland they did repointing and were quite good at their job. Just because they are non-union doesnt mean they are unskilled.

Then that's there fault and when they have no union anymore they won't have to wonder why. . .

Non union shops do not have apprentice programs, they don't teach, and that leads to mistakes.

Unread 10-06-2011, 12:14 AM

5 posts, read 2,343 times
All I was asking I believe was a simple question. Why should we tolerate a company from Florida come to Long Island and do business while we got the skilled workers that can do the job just sitting home? Yes I do know all of the workers doing the steel at Hyundai 112. out of 6, 4 are illegals. The union did visit the site and filled a complaint to the labor board about this outfit for doing some public work at Gabreski airport not paying the prevailing wage.

I ask the union rep to call immigration, no can do was the answer.

I did try immigration, it's a lost case.

this wasn't a union non-union question. My point was why wouldn't Hyundai 112 hire a local company and request that all the work be done by locals?, isn't residents of Long Island who buy their cars?

If we would all go to the city to buy our Hyundai cars, they would be the first ones to start crying about supporting your local business. Why can't they do the same?

Unread 10-06-2011, 06:32 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,700,928 times
Quote:
All I was asking I believe was a simple question. Why should we tolerate a company from Florida come to Long Island and do business while we got the skilled workers that can do the job just sitting home? Yes I do know all of the workers doing the steel at Hyundai 112. out of 6, 4 are illegals. The union did visit the site and filled a complaint to the labor board about this outfit for doing some public work at Gabreski airport not paying the prevailing wage.

I ask the union rep to call immigration, no can do was the answer.

I did try immigration, it's a lost case.

this wasn't a union non-union question. My point was why wouldn't Hyundai 112 hire a local company and request that all the work be done by locals?, isn't residents of Long Island who buy their cars?

If we would all go to the city to buy our Hyundai cars, they would be the first ones to start crying about supporting your local business. Why can't they do the same?
1. That's an ironic notion that a global company based in a foreign country should be concerned with "local" labor. They are concerned with profit, period. They learned it from us. We go over there and pay them in rice and chicken feet.
2. If the contractor is actually not paying prevailing wage and/or does not have the posted notices, they are in direct violation of the law and DOL should have placed a stop work order. If not, they will likely get a heavy fine and their licenses placed in jeopardy. They risk the business and a big loss.

If everyone has just washed their hands of the matter, I respectfully wonder if either your info is inaccurate or someone knows someone and greased the wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island