Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:51 AM

247 posts, read 510,907 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate all of the information!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post

Just be aware that I do have occasional planes flying overhead, but nothing invasive. I wouldn't buy south of the LIE just because those planes would be awfully low on takeoff. I also do see a Southwest jet here and there, and can't imagine what those are like closer to the airport.

I actually had my bid accepted $30k below asking price, and that was only after a week on the market. It's a tough call, depending on the house and the price they are asking. Some are priced appropriately, some are wishful thinking.

Additionally, it sounds like Ronkonkoma is taking strides to further improve the area, with a new lake boardwalk coming sometime in the next couple years, and the destruction (finally!) of the dilapated Bavarian Inn.
That's not a huge deal. We lived in Lawrence for a year, about 5 miles from JFK, and that was kind of scary, especially when we had the windows open at night!

That's fantastic to hear! How long ago did you purchase it (sorry for all of these questions!)

Old 10-07-2011, 08:10 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,207 times
I only closed on the house a month ago.

There's a lot going for the area - super convenient to LIE, LIRR, and shopping. They've built some newer parks for the kids and pets around the lake, including the Ronkonkoma Beach park.

It's a middle class area for the most part. You do have your share of rentals as others have said, and some tend not to upkeep their property, but those are not as abundant as some make it out to be. There are a mixture of large houses next to bungalows. I was able to get a lot of bang for my buck versus the surrounding areas like Smithtown or Nesconset...or even Holbrook.

We bought a newer colonial right on the lake, and it's beautiful. I think the area is presently nice and is improving from what I see.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:13 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:

Just be aware that I do have occasional planes flying overhead, but nothing invasive. I wouldn't buy south of the LIE just because those planes would be awfully low on takeoff. I also do see a Southwest jet here and there, and can't imagine what those are like closer to the airport.

I actually had my bid accepted $30k below asking price, and that was only after a week on the market. It's a tough call, depending on the house and the price they are asking. Some are priced appropriately, some are wishful thinking.

Additionally, it sounds like Ronkonkoma is taking strides to further improve the area, with a new lake boardwalk coming sometime in the next couple years, and the destruction (finally!) of the dilapated Bavarian Inn.
Now if they could "relocate" the 2 welfare hotels, they could actually turn the area into an attracation.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Now if they could "relocate" the 2 welfare hotels, they could actually turn the area into an attracation.
agreed. hopefully those will fall in line once the Bavarian goes away.

I always find it amazing that waterview property could be devoted to that. That one little section on the north side of the lake needs the most help.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:39 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
agreed. hopefully those will fall in line once the Bavarian goes away.

I always find it amazing that waterview property could be devoted to that. That one little section on the north side of the lake needs the most help.
Yeah, the county/town/whatever has a hidden gem there that could actually draw some outside money into the economy.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:53 AM

What exactly is on the north part of the lake? My parents have told me to stay away from Lake Ronkonkoma, and it sounds like whatever is there is their reasoning (though clearly the whole neighborhood isn't bad).

Old 10-07-2011, 09:01 AM

The north part of the lake right now has 2 welfare motels and the now-defunct Bavarian Inn, which are both eyesores. The Inn is all boarded up and covered in graffiti. The hotels are right next to it and have locals sitting outside all the time. Like I said, I believe the Inn is finally getting demolished soon, and I would hope those hotels would follow.

Also there is some worry about flooding from the lake, but that problem was for the most part remedied years ago, and was also from the north side where water spills over into the swampy area. There was one house in the news that the lake overtook over there. However, I bought 3 houses from the lake and have no flooding.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:05 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieDaphne View Post
What exactly is on the north part of the lake? My parents have told me to stay away from Lake Ronkonkoma, and it sounds like whatever is there is their reasoning (though clearly the whole neighborhood isn't bad).
I saw this TV show, "Most Terrifying Places in America: Top 13" and guess what was Number 1? Lake Ronkonkoma! According to legend, an Indian princess fell in love with a white settler and her father forbid them to marry. So 7 years later, the princess drowns herself in the lake and vows to take a male life at least once a year. They interviewed an old guy who had been a lifeguard there for years and he talked about all the drownings.

Most Terrifying Places in America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (scroll down towards bottom; it's the last show listed)

Old 10-07-2011, 11:20 AM

That's nuts.

Also, the house on Mohawk was already sold!!! It was on the market for, like, 2 weeks. Must have been really nice.

We're going to take a look at the one on Cedar this weekend. It's actually on a larger plot of land, so maybe it won't be too bad. Like I said, being close to the train is a plus for us. We'll see how it goes -- I am really disappointed about the Mohawk one, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island