U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 AM

176 posts, read 192,151 times
One thing is certain, the Native American princess could not have lived in what is now Ronkonkoma; a major point of the story is that the princess and her lover ran off from their own settlement to the lake. In addition the Indians did not live anywhere near the lake. They lived near the coasts of the Island. (according to wikipedia).
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 11:28 AM

7,231 posts, read 7,112,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I saw this TV show, "Most Terrifying Places in America: Top 13" and guess what was Number 1? Lake Ronkonkoma! According to legend, an Indian princess fell in love with a white settler and her father forbid them to marry. So 7 years later, the princess drowns herself in the lake and vows to take a male life at least once a year. They interviewed an old guy who had been a lifeguard there for years and he talked about all the drownings.

Most Terrifying Places in America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (scroll down towards bottom; it's the last show listed)
There are versions of that story for every lake in America, and the Mary's Grave story also for that matter.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:39 AM

15,537 posts, read 15,238,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There are versions of that story for every lake in America, and the Mary's Grave story also for that matter.
I know it's an old legend with many versions and many locations.

There is even a story in my own family history that my Native American Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandmother escaped her tribe by swimming a river to marry my American-born descendant of British settlers Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandfather in 1790. Did it really happen? I never found proof of the incident like I found proof of the marriage or like I know where they are both buried. So it's just one of those "forbidden mixed marriage" stories. I guess it makes things more romantic to tell the story like that.

I actually just found it interesting to find something (anything) on L.I. to be at the top of a "most haunted" list!

After all, Halloween is coming up! And there were a lot of drownings in Lake Ronkonkoma!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:45 AM

7,231 posts, read 7,112,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I know it's an old legend with many versions and many locations.

There is even a story in my own family history that my Native American Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandmother escaped her tribe by swimming a river to marry my American-born descendant of British settlers Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Grandfather in 1790. Did it really happen? I never found proof of the incident like I found proof of the marriage or like I know where they are both buried. So it's just one of those "forbidden mixed marriage" stories. I guess it makes things more romantic to tell the story like that.

I actually just found it interesting to find something (anything) on L.I. to be at the top of a "most haunted" list!

After all, Halloween is coming up! And there were a lot of drownings in Lake Ronkonkoma!
It's bottomless, you know? A vortex to another dimension!!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:55 AM

15,537 posts, read 15,238,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's bottomless, you know? A vortex to another dimension!!
Another dimension?

I thought bottomless meant we could submarine our way to China!

Old 10-07-2011, 12:45 PM

I think it's funny that the article says that the the Lake drains into and out of other bodies of water... but there's no explanation as to how the water in the Lake rises and falls?! It is a real mystery, isn't it?

What about Sweet Hollow Road? Isn't that a kind of cool Long Island mystery, too?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Does anyone know anything about Metzer Ave? There is also another house that looks like it is the second house from the lake.
Thanks again.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:15 PM

620 posts, read 576,620 times
Metzer is right by those rundown hotels and the Inn on the north side of the lake.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:26 PM

Oh, bummer. Thanks, pidge!

Old 10-14-2011, 12:03 PM

Oh, wow! I think may have found another nice house in Ronkonk... YAY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island