U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-06-2011, 07:42 PM

142 posts, read 329,273 times

Advertisements

We bought a smaller house and property in a good district--why would I now want to merge with a worse district?--to save a hundred dollars a year? No...no...no. This idea is favored by people who bought mcMansions in {insert bad town name here} If i have learned anything (and its debatable if i have) it is that the further away the powers who control things are the less responsive they will be when I have a problem.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 08:05 PM

793 posts, read 675,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Having two or more independent school districts with their own separately elected school boards directing one superintendent?

What happens if one of the school boards does not go along with what the superintendent wants to implement but the other school boards do?
Re-read my idea. School boundaries remain the same. One district absorbs another administratively. One school board. Do not confuse the term 'school district" with school boundary.
The suggestion is made with the understanding that, in the rest of the country, it is quite common for one district to have several high schools, each one of which has their own boundaries. My idea was a way to get to that more efficient model. And move eventually to one District per county.
At the same time I know the usual objections to consolidation.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
We're playing fantasy school district merger. Obstacles like this do not happen in this game .
See my reply

Old 10-06-2011, 08:11 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,728,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Re-read my idea. School boundaries remain the same.
In New York State, school boundaries, otherwise known as attendance zones, can be changed by a simple vote of a school board; school district boundaries, on the other hand, need to be approved by a separate vote of the residents of each of the school districts and then approved by the legislature.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
The nuclear weapon, in this case, would be for the legislature to forcibly dissolve all existing districts and create new consolidated districts.
Or, Jericho can be given an incentive to absorb Locust Valley, Syosset to absorb Oyster Bay, Massapequa to to absorb Plainedge, etc etc with another round in eight years and the final round in 12 years. Presto, one big district in Nassau with separate high school boundaries. Of course this is imperfect...but is it that musch worse than other consolidation plans?

(This branstorm came while watching Elwood flounder around looking for a partner and all the partners they wanted did not want them and all the partners they did not want - wanted them. Suppose the high school boundaries remained the same - would that have changed the outcome?)

Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
In New York State, school boundaries, otherwise known as attendance zones, can be changed by a simple vote of a school board; school district boundaries, on the other hand, need to be approved by a separate vote of the residents of each of the school districts and then approved by the legislature.
That is a speed bump to all consolidation plans...and is well recognized and has been duly noted.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
School boundaries would be the key in overcoming parochial interests of the residents and, of course, there are legislative impediments to every plan. Duly noted.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:17 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,728,619 times
Quick Commenter, you're hung up on the high school boundary issue: there are school districts on Long Island that have two or more high schools, and the attendance zones for these high schools, or, even to keep a high school open or close it, can be changed by a simple majority vote of the school board. There is no way you can freeze high school boundaries so that such changes do not occur.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Quick Commenter, you're hung up on the high school boundary issue: there are school districts on Long Island that have two or more high schools, and the attendance zones for these high schools, or, even to keep a high school open or close it, can be changed by a simple majority vote of the school board. There is no way you can freeze high school boundaries so that such changes do not occur.
You seem to be hung up on this. Obviously, votes by both districts' residents have to support absorbtion/consolidation. More obviously, parochial concerns run deep. Covenants, laws, and new legislative initiatives have to be brought to bear for any meaningful consolidation. It is understood a lot will have to change in order for absorbtion and/or consolidation to occur here in Nassau and Suffolk. In a sense, we are working backwards from a broken and inefficient system so there is a lot to overcome. That is understood. It is also understood that there are a small handful of districts (three, I think) here on Long Island with two or more high schools - I am not sure how that does or does not argue for consolidations of districts here on Long Island to save central administration costs.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:38 PM

3,173 posts, read 3,412,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Or, Jericho can be given an incentive to absorb Locust Valley, Syosset to absorb Oyster Bay,...

(This branstorm came while watching Elwood flounder around looking for a partner and all the partners they wanted did not want them and all the partners they did not want - wanted them. Suppose the high school boundaries remained the same - would that have changed the outcome?)
During your brainstorm, did you not question why Elwood was rejecting some partners and wanted in with others?

So I'm going to assume you are in Oyster Bay and want to merge with Syosset? Alright, how about Oyster Bay merges with Westbury SD instead?

I'm sure Babylon is dying to save $20 to merge with Wyandanch and Amityville as well. Either way whatever is saved will go to increasing teacher/admin salaries.

The only way to lower taxes without affecting quality is to increase contributions toward benefits or freeze pay increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island