Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:40 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,821,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
...and you thought red light cams were bad!

The Autobahn - The German Highway - YouTube Real Freedom...too bad we don't have it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 08:44 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
But again, I stand by my point: If the # of people doing 20+ over slowed it down just 10mph, I doubt we'd have half of the problems we have today.
Statistically, "driver inattention", not speeding, is the largest cause of accidents.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:46 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Statistically, "driver inattention", not speeding, is the largest cause of accidents.
Understood, but it is easier to limit speeding than it is to limit inattentiveness. There is also more than one cause of accidents, as well.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,412 times
They should do anything to bring the road animals of Long Island under control. It is, after all, for the safety of the children.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:50 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,029 times
No twisties here, just hate when people are willing to toss out even more freedoms just because a 19 year old nitwit driver on a cell phone put them into a twist.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:53 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
No twisties here, just hate when people are willing to toss out even more freedoms just because a 19 year old nitwit driver on a cell phone put them into a twist.
Again... driving is a privilege, not a right. Don't want to play by the rules? Then don't drive.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
So, some of you actually prefer big brother over your shoulder? Just wondering what types of gov't. entitlements you receives since you're so beholden to these concepts. Perhaps you'd like the TV police in your living room, too. Or maybe even the whoopee cops in your bedroom to make sure everything going on there is acceptable. Also, a GPS collar around everyone's necks at all times. Let's just do it kayfouroh's way, I want to make sure my kids are properly registered, branded, and tracked, so when their nationality is demonized one day, perhaps their religion, political beliefs, etc, will make sure they are 'dealt with' properly. You go, KAYFOUROH!

There is no amendment in the constitution that mentions the right of people to speed on public roads. I already can't go on public roads without a government sanctioned license and registration. I am also "subject" to intrusive radar gun trackings and I can be pulled stopped to have my license and reg checked at any point (check points) by a police officer.

I'm not for excessive government control of behaviors in general, but cutting down on speeding on public highways is not excessive, and the fact that I'd never have to hear jack-arses bragging about getting away with speeding because they have a PBA card is worth it alone.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:00 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,034,873 times
The state of Maryland uses speed cameras in work zones. More than 12 mph over the posted speed results in a $40 summons.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:01 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,029 times
Perhaps you'd like 're-education' centers setup for all the speeders that are nabbed?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post

The Autobahn - The German Highway - YouTube Real Freedom...too bad we don't have it!
NICE!! I was just going to post on this. I was in Germany 2 weeks ago for military duty and drove on the Autobahn for the first time. What an awesome experience. The road conditions are PERFECT...no potholes, the curves are graded nicely. But its not just the roads...the overall driving attitude is much less arrogant then in the US. No one passes in the right lane...everyone moves over out of the left lane when someone wants to pass. They do it right. It was actually comfortable driving at 105 mph (think I topped out at 112 mph and just didn't trust myself at that speed).

Back on topic though...they have speed cameras all over the place (about half of the autobahn is speed controlled at 130 km/hour). Its common for new members of the military to get 5 tickets mailed to them in the first 6 months they are in Germany (but from what I understand most of them are waived).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island