Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 08:31 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,731 times

Advertisements

Lol mongoose then there are 3 of us, i haven't yet left to run across that scene that'll play out all day, was probably kayfouroh in the camry, but in less than an hour i'll get to see more examples...

YOU know What we REALLY need, not camera's, WE NEED a CLUELESS driver law, i would figure we'll give the logging community a boost with all the paper needed and we could hire another 10,000 cops, and and fix the national debt, and then only buy pens made in the US (sorry bic shoulda not left the US) we can fix many parts of this economy by just having a clueless driver law....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 09:07 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,595 times
Wow, kayfouroh is still at it. The prime example of complacent ignorance in America.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:14 AM

142 posts, read 265,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
THe floodgates were opened years ago. Every street in Downtown Manhattan has been on camera for years now..Im sure other areas are too. We have had "traffic" cameras on the roads for years. And perhaps when you walk to any shopping area on LI now you will glance up and see cameras usually installed by merchants. And then, of course, there is the friendly neighbor who has installed his own security cameras that probably records the whole block. And remember...all those recordings can be subpoena'd into court.

Your expectations of privacy were never, ever guaranteed outside your own home.

So what is a few more cameras to catch people doing a dangerous act like speeding on our roads.
*Sigh*.....so let the water keep running through the gates? Come on guys, I'm not saying I expect 100% privacy in public. I get that. It's not that people can watch me on camera....hell, I'll wave to the camera. It's the fact that the discretion given by cops no longer is there if it's just a camera.

Let me give you an example....I was caught by a red light camera last winter. I was going 10 MPH under the speed limit, driving carefully because it was icy out, and *bam* the light turns yellow. At this point, there is no way I can stop my car unless I want it to skid out and end up in the front yard of CVS. So I go through, entering the intersection while it's still yellow. Then I see the flash bulbs. SMILE!

I get a letter in the mail saying I owe them money...the only way I can fight it is if I go to court. For 50 bucks, I wasn't about to take off a day of work to fight this, even though I was in the right for not wanting to cause an accident. So I pay them the 50 bucks. Is that right? If it were a cop that pulled me over, maybe I could explain the situation...but I couldn't.

Again, it gets to the point where now it's red light cameras...speeding cameras....then it turns into other things that people are getting letters in the mail for. "Just obey the law!!!!"........ugh, there is a reason the human element is in law enforcement....for situations such as mine where a simple explanation can resolve everything.

But hey, maybe 10 years down the road when you get a ticket in the mail for not signaling at a corner because a camera caught you, you'll come around. Ticket ticket ticket....fine fine fine.....that will solve it.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 AM

142 posts, read 265,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Nevermind the fact that P.O.s sit and watch public roadways all the time. I guess that should be illegal.

PRIVACY!!!!
Dammit, Kayfouroh, you and I again. It's not all about privacy. It's about having the human element in the equation. I'm more for paying the current cops less (yes, they are way overpaid compared to other areas of the country), and hiring MORE cops to patrol the roads.

I'm from the suburbs of Chicago where they are wayyyyyyy more roads than Long Island (way more highways...way more side streets...) and you better believe you would see cops patrolling more often than here. (PS- property taxes are about a quarter of what they are here, yet they manage to hire a competent police force in numbers).

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I go over the speed limit pretty often. Does that mean now that if I go 56 in a 55, I will get a ticket from the camera? Seriously though, who decides when it stops? A cop wont pull you over for that, but will the camera give you a ticket?

I think the logistics of it are too complicated and there is wayyyyy too much gray area. Then again, I agree with the post earlier that said people wont get to use PBA cards. I think those things are total BS and cops should be suspended without pay for accepting them. That's the human element gone crooked.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:49 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Agreed. You are right and probably too accurate in people going anywhere from 9 to 90mph on LI. It's that bizarre. I still say it's because the lane rules are not taught and not enforced so we have a wild west with arbitrary speed limits. Putting aside the Autobahn hyperbole, if you like driving in general, European highways are fantastic because people know how to use the lanes and are terrified to shmooze along in the left lane, as they should be. In fairness, Massachusettes has the exact same problem as LI and both are considered bastions of bad driving. The tiny ramps on LI exacerbate it. One chump is doing 60 in the passing lane, cars start to pass on the right, cars in the travel lane move right, tightening up traffic, making it harder to merge. If the passing lane stays open for faster travel, there is proper traffic flow and merging becomes easier. American arrognace is awesome and NY'ers take it to another level. I'll drive how I damn well please (slow, fast, drunk, texting, rolling through red lights). They don't make enough cameras or police to change the attitudes.
How can it when the roads are so clogged, all of the lanes are full of cars?

How can you use the (too short) on-ramps to get up to highway speed when the roads are so clogged you actually have to STOP right at the entrance to the highway and WAIT until it is clear to get on?

Old 10-07-2011, 12:13 PM

131 posts, read 300,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I never said I am for big brother I said I am for people not breaking the law. If morons didn't do it in the first place, there would be no money for the government to make by putting up these cameras. Too much for you to understand??

Funny, I don't think I've been pulled over in YEARS. My secret? Not driving like an ass.
Chances are, if you are going 55 and as people approach you they have to go around you thus making a mini-parade in your lane (and increasing traffic), you are the a*s!

If more people had your mentality 235+ years ago, we'd still be paying taxes to England without any kind of governmental representation. That was the law. Heaven forbid you question the "geniuses" who make these laws. Just blindly obeying like a good little sheep will never bring about change. And 55mph on the highways is UNCOMFORTABLY slow - which is why it is often little followed.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:33 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

How can you use the (too short) on-ramps to get up to highway speed when the roads are so clogged you actually have to STOP right at the entrance to the highway and WAIT until it is clear to get on?
Not much anyone can do about overcrowded roadways. The discussion is about speeding cameras and driving, so I was not discussing the "moving parking lot" aspect at all. There would be less "jams" due to accidents if lane rules were followed, though. It all comes back to knowing how to drive.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:40 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Default Next Expert Driver, Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

LIMA, please comment. It seems that the standard agreed upon "rules of the road" (left lane is only for passing, the entrance ramp is to be used for accelerating to highway speed) do not work sometimes on LI.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:40 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,244 times
They'll say it's about safety, but really it's really about revenue. We all know that. If it wasn't about cash then they shouldn't fine us, but should put points on your license.

As much as I like the reduction in manpower/expenses about this idea, cameras won't work. I grew up in an area where they were put in place.All it did was create a virtual speed bump. Everyone would slow down to the limit until they went past the cameras. It was useless in slow traffic, and it was a traffic creater in flowing traffic. Morons would put polarized filters on their plates so they could fly through without incrimination. They would however get ticketed for that if they got pulled over.

I agree about uping the limit past 55. But that's another topic all together.

Who cares about big brother, you know cameras are the same thing as a cop sitting on the median watching you, right? As long as you're obeying the law who's going to bother you? Big Brother, don't be ridiculous. Take your tricone hat and...

Old 10-07-2011, 02:57 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,048 times
DURING the first six months after Suffolk deputy sheriffs took over patrolling the Long Island Expressway and Sunrise Highway from county police,
the number of traffic tickets issued plummeted by 63 percent, according to a Newsday analysis of traffic data. Of the 10 most common types of
tickets police wrote on the LIE and Sunrise Highway between Sept. 15, 2007, and March 15, 2008, the number of violations for speeding, failing
to use a turn signal, using a hand-held cell phone and failing to wear a seat belt dropped by at least 75 percent. The number of patrols also fell.
Beyond the minimum of four cars on the LIE and three on the Sunrise that each agency fielded at all times, police also had funding for up to five
additional cars for HOV lanes and seat-belt enforcement during rush hour. The sheriffs now have the same grant. Nonetheless, the accident
count remained essentially unchanged - 1,256 under the police, 1,185 under the deputy sheriffs.

With a 75% decrease in citation$, $uffolk county has lo$t a $izable and essential $ource of revenue, with no noticable effect upon $afety,
as is reflected in the (accident count). At a time when filling the coffer$ has become so highly prioritized, what other avenues of revenue could be
per$ued as avariciou$ly as these propo$ed "$peed monitoring camera$"? Only a fool would ever believe that the county'$ primary interest$, lie in
making our highways safer. It's all about getting your money, nothing more, nothing le$$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island