Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
I'll go one better, how do you drive that street
I stop at every parked car and shout, "Any kids in between there? Don't run out right now! I don't want to ruin my perfect insurance record of no claims!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 02:01 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,063 times
Car going 70 can stop in 175 feet, car going 50 can stop in 100 feet. Toddler steps out between cars at 120 feet...you explain to the parents that speed didnt matter. Oh wait, you drive the LimaMobile. It doesnt do that. It can stop on a dime because you are a competent driver.

Yep...keep telling yourself and your insurance company..maybe someone will believe it.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:03 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,063 times
So Lima...why don't you answer a few questions for us here..who seem to doubt that you are the DRIVER OF DRIVERS...THE MOTHER OF ALL MOTORISTS.

In the past 20 years...how many chargeable accidents and violations have you had?

In the past 20 years...how many miles have you driven on average each year.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:35 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,892 times
Quote:
the kid runs out at 10 mph at the right time would be the same as the 50 mph speed or the unposted 30 mph rule....at the right time the RESULT is the same, speed wouldn't matter there killer....
Someone needs a lesson in Newton's third law of motion.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:09 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,811 times
Quote:
Actually you see, you just don't understand, i gave the narrow side street as an example and the closed mind you are doesn't get it.... the kid runs out at 10 mph at the right time would be the same as the 50 mph speed or the unposted 30 mph rule....at the right time the RESULT is the same, speed wouldn't matter there killer....but your narrow mind see's it as a win....however i never got into detail on how to enter that narrow street, since this island doesn't have one...
Are you serious with this? I've been hit by a car doing roughly 25 mph. It hurt like HELL. I can not even imagine if she was doing 50...

You're insane if you think doing 50 down a side street or any residential street is ok "as long as you're a competent driver"! There's a huge difference in stopping ability and damage inflicted at those two speeds.

This has nothing to do with 65 mph being totally fine on parkways, BTW. Which it is. New Jersey released an 18 month study after they increased the speed limit to 65 from 55 on many of its parkways. Fatal accidents dropped about 9% and accidents were up slightly (about 10%) I'll try to dig up the link. Every state that has done this to my knowledge has had similar results -- i.e, no significant or noteworthy change at all in accidents or fatalities by bumping the 55mph limit. TBH, I think speed cams will make us less safe -- because then it's just a fine and insurance companies won't know the higher risk drivers vs the good ones.

I wonder if people realize that there are 65-70mph highways all over the country -- and people are fine. It's not mass death-armageddon-annihilation on those roads. Drivers come and go safely on them. The 55mph federal limit, which was later altered, was brought about to save gasoline during the 70s.. Has nothing to do with safety...although I'm sure municipalities love being able to give tickets out easier and that is a reason they stay.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:17 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Are you serious with this? I've been hit by a car doing roughly 25 mph. It hurt like HELL. I can not even imagine if she was doing 50...

You're insane if you think doing 50 down a side street or any residential street is ok "as long as you're a competent driver"! There's a huge difference in stopping ability and damage inflicted at those two speeds.

This has nothing to do with 65 mph being totally fine on parkways, BTW. Which it is. New Jersey released an 18 month study after they increased the speed limit to 65 from 55 on many of its parkways. Fatal accidents dropped about 9% and accidents were up slightly (about 10%) I'll try to dig up the link. Every state that has done this to my knowledge has had similar results -- i.e, no significant or noteworthy change at all in accidents or fatalities by bumping the 55mph limit.

I wonder if people realize that there are 65-70mph highways all over the country -- and people are fine. It's not mass death-armageddon-annihilation on those roads. Drivers come and go safely on them. The 55mph federal limit, which was later altered, was brought about to save gasoline during the 70s.. Has nothing to do with safety...although I'm sure municipalities love being able to give tickets out easier and that is a reason they stay.
Do you think the Northern and Southern State Parkways would be safe at 70-75 mph? The NSP just seems so small and cramped to me and the SSP seems a little too curvy in places (like "blood alley" ... several exits in Nassau County around the Wantagh area).

Old 10-10-2011, 03:28 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Do you think the Northern and Southern State Parkways would be safe at 70-75 mph? The NSP just seems so small and cramped to me and the SSP seems a little too curvy in places (like "blood alley" ... several exits in Nassau County around the Wantagh area).
There are a couple curves like around exit 19 and 15 on the sspkwy which you could reduce the limit to 50 on...but parkways on LI are far from crowded. Crowded is the Belt parkway which deserves its 50 mph limit. But almost everything else barring parts of the Wantagh, a couple exits mentioned on the SS and a few on the northern state, everything is actually fairly wide and suitable to do 65. I do it all the time and I'm fine along with half the drivers on LI. I don't even think I would drive much faster if they increased it but it would certainly make driving more enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG8eXIyxGcg

Old 10-10-2011, 05:59 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
What was the speed limit on that street?

Old 10-10-2011, 06:17 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
On the southern state from exit 17 to 32 I think they call it death alley or something like that because many high speed accidents occur between those exits. If you think speeding is no big deal then keep doing it and watch what happens when your car looses control. I live on a busy corner and cars making the right onto my block take the turn at high speeds which has resulted in 4 seperate accidents over a period of 5 years in which they took the turn too fast and hit my neighbors tree across from me. Just today while sitting outside a car carrier came speeding down the sunrise service rd to make the right onto my block, skidded but was able to make the turn without tippping over. I hate saying this but if people continue to speed while making the turn onto my block or on any roadway and they get hurt they deserve it.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 PM

332 posts, read 613,618 times
I did read the entire conversation before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstigs View Post
Hey, welcome to the conversation. Instead of twisting a post to fit your own conclusion or comment, I would highly suggest going back and seeing some of the other points that led up to this comment. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island