U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 02:48 PM

8 posts, read 22,855 times

Advertisements

When the hurricane came, a big tree branch fell on my car. I got GEICO guy came over to my house to estimate the damage, including one flat tire.

Then I towed the car to replace all four tires before sending to body shop since there is a long waiting line. Later I sent my car to Huntington Honda since I bought it there. I told the manager that I do not want to repair the un-noticeable damages since my tires have cost me $1000 dollars. He said ok and they will call me before repairing. Geico people also told me that I can do it.

But now they send my car to V&J body shop and shop said they took my car apart (none with my permission) and they need to repair everything. They even replaced one of my new tires since the geico report said so. I refused to sign and called Huntington Honda. The manager lied that he has never said I can choose which part to repair and he never heard that I have replaced all tires. He threatened me that I need to pay $3000 to get my car back if I decided not to repair with them.

What can I do? I will go to the body shop tomorrow to see what they did to my car. Can anybody share your experience on dealing such bad people? Very appreciated and sorry if it is too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 02:54 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,734,880 times
Did you sign any repair documents? Did you sign any authorization of work?

If you signed and they did the work, they will simply put a mechanic's lien on your car and have it auctioned for the bill. Say sayonara to the honda.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:01 PM

My wife sent the car over there and she didn't remember she has signed anything. I called Honda and asked them to fax me one copy if my wife has signed anything. The lady said it is locked and only manager has key and he is not in the office.

I feel she is lying. My wife probably didn't sign anything at honda. We only know from honda after two weeks that my car was sent to v&j. So we didn't sign anything at the body shop. They just took my car apart and hasn't start repairing.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:06 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,226,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWa View Post
My wife sent the car over there

LOL, there is your problem. You should have included that in the first post.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 29,444,122 times
Quote:
When the hurricane came, a big tree branch fell on my car. I got GEICO guy came over to my house to estimate the damage, including one flat tire.

Then I towed the car to replace all four tires before sending to body shop since there is a long waiting line. Later I sent my car to Huntington Honda since I bought it there. I told the manager that I do not want to repair the un-noticeable damages since my tires have cost me $1000 dollars. He said ok and they will call me before repairing. Geico people also told me that I can do it.

But now they send my car to V&J body shop and shop said they took my car apart (none with my permission) and they need to repair everything. They even replaced one of my new tires since the geico report said so. I refused to sign and called Huntington Honda. The manager lied that he has never said I can choose which part to repair and he never heard that I have replaced all tires. He threatened me that I need to pay $3000 to get my car back if I decided not to repair with them.

What can I do? I will go to the body shop tomorrow to see what they did to my car. Can anybody share your experience on dealing such bad people? Very appreciated and sorry if it is too long.
Did you talk to GEICO about this?

They should be able to get the body shop under control with what IS and what ISN'T appropriate repairs. GEICO has contracts with body shops and is supposed to oversee what is going on with the insured parties' cars they pay the repairs for. You are only supposed to be responsible for your deductible and I have never heard of a $3,000 car insurance deductible.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:12 PM

Unfortunately my wife picked Huntington Honda since she bought the car there. She thought the repair will be better there so we didn't ask GEICO to recommend one. I called GEICO and was told that they can not help. Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Did you talk to GEICO about this?

They should be able to get the body shop under control with what IS and what ISN'T appropriate repairs. GEICO has contracts with body shops and is supposed to oversee what is going on with the insured parties' cars they pay the repairs for. You are only supposed to be responsible for your deductible and I have never heard of a $3,000 car insurance deductible.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:15 PM

219 posts, read 419,889 times
I suspect a shop scam.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:23 PM

16,408 posts, read 29,444,122 times
Quote:
Unfortunately my wife picked Huntington Honda since she bought the car there. She thought the repair will be better there so we didn't ask GEICO to recommend one. I called GEICO and was told that they can not help. Thanks a lot.
So I am assuming this shop isn't "Geico" sanctioned and Geico is not paying for the repairs at all?

You should have called GEICO when picking a repair shop, but it is strange that Huntington Honda just sent your car out and didn't ask you/tell you about it. Actually, Huntington Honda should NOT have accepted your car for repairs. Dealers don't do body work. They just want a piece of the $$$ for "subcontracting" your repair work out to a body shop.

Let's see. How about calling the Consumer Affairs Division of Suffolk County? Maybe they can help you.

I know it's hard/impossible to get a car back from a repair shop if the repairs are not fully paid for due to the mechanic's lien laws.

It may help that neither you nor your wife signed any repair authorization for the body shop.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:23 PM

17,584 posts, read 27,075,881 times
GEICO has nothing to do with this since they didn't inspect the car at the shop, and even if they had, he moved it from one shop to another. The insurance company is only going to get involved if they dealt with the shop and had an agreed price with them.

I find it curious that you are pi$$ed at GEICO. Did you ever ask them for the names of reputable shops, or tell them where you were taking the car? They are an insurance company, not consumer affairs. I'm sure if you told them you were going to the dealer they would have alerted you to a potential problems. I'd also bet that they offered you a list of shop. GEICO isn't known for employing rocket scientists but they usually get the basics right. If I had a dollar for every person I tried to direct aware from the scammers, only to be ignored and then called by panicky insureds months later, I'd be a rich woman right now.

Good luck with this. Your only recourse is to get their shop # (you know those green signs that shops have showing they are registered with the state, it will be on there) and file a complaint with the DMV....but if you signed a repair agreement, gpsma is correct. They will just put a mechanic's lien on it.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
So I am assuming this shop isn't "Geico" sanctioned and Geico is not paying for the repairs at all?

You should have called GEICO when picking a repair shop, but it is strange that Huntington Honda just sent your car out and didn't ask you/tell you about it. Actually, Huntington Honda should NOT have accepted your car for repairs. Dealers don't do body work. They just want a piece of the $$$ for "subcontracting" your repair work out to a body shop.

Let's see. How about calling the Consumer Affairs Division of Suffolk County? Maybe they can help you.

I know it's hard/impossible to get a car back from a repair shop if the repairs are not fully paid for due to the mechanic's lien laws.

It may help that neither you nor your wife signed any repair authorization for the body shop.
Yes, this shop is not GEICO sanctioned but GEICO is paying for the repair. I didn't know huntington honda will send my car out. If I know it, I will not pick them. Thanks for your kind reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island