Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:12 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,957,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Not even Rocky Point?
Now that is a pickle I don't think I would want to ever have to decide on.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:55 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,985,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
As A public employee I wish people would STOP WITH THE LIES. First off Most fire depts are not public employees . They are volunteer.

Second MOST public employees are lucky to make 50k a year . I am betting people are getting their info from the same lying newspapers and media that gives out wrong info on other topics.

Public employee salaries are freely available online. Go look it up and you will see the truth.

Its only managment in the public sector that makes over $100k a year.

Please dont lump everyone together .

PS the more public servants that get laid off the longer it will take in places like the DMV ,social security , town halls and things like that.
Hmmm,
My kids KG teacher makes $115k
His 1st grade teacher makes $121k
They both work 10 month schedules and I doubt they stay up nights grading exams or papers (KG and 1st grade, after all).
The head custodian of the HS makes $106k

Just giving the facts. It's painful. My wife and I have 15+ years each in our fields and make less. We haven't had raises in 3 years. Why wouldn't we be perturbed at their getting a GUARANTEED step AND union raises totaling over 6%.

If some are getting laid off it's because the union body are cannibals and are happy to jettison their fellowes before taking a cut in pay or increased medical insurance pay-in. Simple as that.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:07 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,505,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Just giving the facts. It's painful. My wife and I have 15+ years each in our fields and make less. We haven't had raises in 3 years. Why wouldn't we be perturbed at their getting a GUARANTEED step AND union raises totaling over 6%.
That sucks. Why aren't you mad at your own employers who are screwing you and your wife?

Old 10-12-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
My wife and I have 15+ years each in our fields and make less. We haven't had raises in 3 years. Why wouldn't we be perturbed at their getting a GUARANTEED step AND union raises totaling over 6%.
Just because you're somewhere for 15+ years doesn't mean you're going to be guaranteed a 6 figure salary.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:19 PM

398 posts, read 836,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Just because you're somewhere for 15+ years doesn't mean you're going to be guaranteed a 6 figure salary.
If you're refering to teachers, I don't know any that have been there for 15+ making less than 6 figures. I actually know a few there for 5 years and approaching 6 figures.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
If you're refering to teachers, I don't know any that have been there for 15+ making less than 6 figures. I actually know a few there for 5 years and approaching 6 figures.
No, just jobs in general.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Old 10-13-2011, 05:37 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,633,323 times
Default Apples and Oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1955 View Post
Yea the local police will be on scene after they finish hanging out at the local firehouse

I have seen the road side collection many times in PA. Most times it is by underfunded local depts. They set their own budgets and may not have included all the "state mandated items" in it as to not hit up the locals to badly.

Why should they not try to get some funding from the visiting out of towners who use their services for a hangnail or ankle sprain then be outraged that they are transported to a local community hospital instead of a LIJ run megga Hosp.

It's not LI, live by their rules or stay home.
I've seen the fundraising volunteer roadstops in several New England states. They've all been in small, less populated areas which don't have the population density or income we have on LI. There's the strong likelihood that the funds raised at the roadstop will go toward the maintenance or purchase of necessary fire fighting equipment.

The local fire/ambulance corp/PD in the VT town I have a home in are raising money through T-shirt and bake sales in order to build a new structure which will house all three as opposed to them being scattered about. Many local residents in this rural area can't afford a fire district tax increase as is done on LI.

The OP is assuming that volunteer FDs outside of LI are as generously funded by overtaxed residents. He needs to stop comparing apples to oranges.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:50 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,633,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Coin toss fundraisers have been around as long as I can remember and I have run into many of them in rural areas of NY and other states but have never seen one on LI. You cannot compare volunteer fire depts. on LI to anywhere else. Many of these rural communities are using hand me down equipment from wealthier areas while LI vollies are equipped to the hilt. That being said, if you don't want to throw a quarter into the helmet just drive through, why let it ruin your weekend?
Very true about the rural communities.

The OP refused to drop some change into a boot or helmet, yet thought nothing about dropping bucks on overpriced gas and tolls. The Arabs and MTA thank him.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
That sucks. Why aren't you mad at your own employers who are screwing you and your wife?
Actually our employers are struggling to keep the doors open and the businesses afloat and keep everyone employed. The owner doesn't have anyone to "collectively bargain" with except his own creditors. We stand on our own feet trying to make it work and pay our local school taxes. Some of us live in the real world. Our jobs are not subsidized by our neighbors.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
What a dumb and insipid reply. I know what we make and understand market benchmarks and wage structure (these words too big for you?!). That has nothing to do with over-subsidizing the local public employees, now does it? I tell anyone in the civilized world we pay $11k taxes on a 1800sqft cape and they are stunned and mortified. It is destroying the region.

Why the F am I wasting my time in this thread?! I should have known better. If $121k + stellar benefits is really market rate for a 1st grade teacher, I guess it's time to accept it or move on. I wouldn't want to change anything around here.

"Yass suh, we's happy being an overtaxed bedroom community of new yawk city, boss."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island