Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 03:37 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The PATH only goes out to Newark, and doesn't cover any of the NJ suburbs. You have a point about the bus service, though.

Personally, I think there should at least be some express bus service in areas that don't have good LIRR service (or any at all). For instance, in most of the areas along Hempstead Turnpike, people have to drive (or in a few instances, take a bus) to reach the LIRR. I'm sure people would be willing to pay a few extra dollars to have a bus that stops right in their neighborhood. I'm surprised a private company hasn't done it yet.

I mean, the LIRR doesn't even go to Lower Manhattan. To get there, you have to
* Drive (or take a bus) to the LIRR
* Take the LIRR to Jamaica
* Transfer to another train to Atlantic Avenue
* Transfer again to a train to Lower Manhattan.

Or, you could take the (J)/(Z) or (E) trains directly from Jamaica to Lower Manhattan, but you have to deal with the extra stops and crowding. In any case, that's 3-4 modes of travel you're using. I'm sure plenty of people would be willing to spend a little extra for a bus.

There's definitely enough demand along Hempstead Turnpike and Jericho Turnpike, and maybe there's some along Rt. 347 and a few other corridors. The fares can vary by distance like the LIRR.
I don't think express bus service from anywhere in Nassau or Suffolk would really be all that "express" unless their schedule stopped before 7AM. The express routes from Queens still get there relatively quick because it isn't a far drive... anything past the Cross Island Parkway you'll have to deal with way too much traffic holding things up even if the stops are limited.

If the LIRR breaks down you can take the subway or a bus to Jamaica and then LI Bus from there. It sucks and it takes a long time, but it's better than being stranded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 06:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I can't picture bus service being very agreeable to most people. I would think that busses would take much longer to get into the City. On rainy days, it would be worse. For all its faults the LIRR is a reasonably comfortable ride into the city. The thought of being on a stop and go bus is not appealing.
Well, if there are comfortable seats like on the NYC and NJ express buses, it's more tolerable. You leave an extra, say 20 minutes earlier and you doze off on the bus.

And Hampton Jitney has some service to both the North and South Forks due to the spotty LIRR service out there: Hampton Jitney

It's stops are more or less the same stops that the LIRR makes, so the only problems are on the expressways. So they aren't stop-and-go like the local buses out in LI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
The commute via express bus from NJ to Manhattan is a dream commute for many people. The problem for LI is that there's no equivalent to the PABT on the east side so you'd have the thing making local stops in Manhattan.
Maybe it would be better to have it serve Lower Manhattan. It would still have to make a few stops (or maybe just one stop) on the street, but it's easier than having to transfer.

Most NJ buses come into either the Port Authority Bus Terminal or the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal. However, a few do come into Lower Manhattan and make stops along the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I don't think express bus service from anywhere in Nassau or Suffolk would really be all that "express" unless their schedule stopped before 7AM. The express routes from Queens still get there relatively quick because it isn't a far drive... anything past the Cross Island Parkway you'll have to deal with way too much traffic holding things up even if the stops are limited.

If the LIRR breaks down you can take the subway or a bus to Jamaica and then LI Bus from there. It sucks and it takes a long time, but it's better than being stranded.
Like I said, if the bus is comfortable enough, you can just doze off and not have to worry about the traffic.

And don't they have HOV lanes on the expressways (serious question)?

As far as LI Bus goes, the thing is that a lot of people don't like to transfer after a day of work (and LI Bus can get pretty crowded. Throw in a delay and those buses will be packed). It's easier to just have a direct ride home, and you might not even have to drive from the bus stop.

Out in the outer boroughs, we have some express buses and in many cases, the subway and local bus are faster when you consider the frequency, and yet most of them see pretty decent ridership.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:36 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,812 times
Quote:
The right to Food-Free cars. The smell of fried chicken dinners entering the cars at Jamaica and the resulting piggy noises by those riders (usually headed out to Suffdump) is annoying and should be stopped.

Hey Gpsma, how about the right to a Redneck free car. Where drunk hillbilly's can keep their smell to them self in your car. I will trade you the fried chicken for the dirty drunk construction worker. It can be like baseball even trade.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:44 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
I don't usually have the pleasure of riding at the times the dirty drunk construction workers (referred to in the future as DDCWs) usually come home. Im thinking a fair trade would be 3 fried chicken gobblin' mamas for one DDCW.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,228 times
stripper poles in the vestibules

Old 10-12-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I don't usually have the pleasure of riding at the times the dirty drunk construction workers (referred to in the future as DDCWs) usually come home. Im thinking a fair trade would be 3 fried chicken gobblin' mamas for one DDCW.
Sounds like you're trying to fleas me here. I think a better trade would be two fat DDCWs as you call them and one 20 something from Farmingdale or Ronkonkoma snapping gum and talking at the same time the whole ride

Old 10-12-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
stripper poles in the vestibules
Of course stripper poles. I mean these LI girls are accustomed to a certain standard of life so with the economy down they have to make money by every means necessary.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:45 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Sounds like you're trying to fleas me here. I think a better trade would be two fat DDCWs as you call them and one 20 something from Farmingdale or Ronkonkoma snapping gum and talking at the same time the whole ride
Deal..but she will come with her fat sister who wears nothing but Walmart Spandex.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Deal..but she will come with her fat sister who wears nothing but Walmart Spandex.

Dam it i just realized i could have kept her and put the stripper pole that ENFD240 suggested in the vestibules and charge the drunk construction workers to watch them shake it. I mean it would be just like going to a club on Rt110 or on Sunrise Highway. Well I gave you the blue print hope you make some money.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:06 PM

625 posts, read 902,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Hmm ... how could they work this. Let's see. Put scales in those "gap covers" on the bottom doorsills of the "fattie free cars" and either it blinks a green light and the passenger is deemed "not too fat" and can walk onto the train or it blinks a red light and the giant spring under the gap cover ejects the "too fat" passenger back onto the platform!
Or pay the "fattie step up fare"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island