U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:07 PM

2,630 posts, read 2,071,647 times
Default Another (BIG ONE) flees LI

Bye bye Arrow Electronics. Another one for the "business development" slag heap of Long Island. Supposedly no jobs will go. Hah, right. Heard THAT one before. This place is dying. Layers and layers of ridiculous govt. I can't even blame Town of Hempstead for this one...must be copycat political idiocy. How long before Canon changes their mind and Henry Schein bails out? No business, no prosperity. Spare me the repub vs dem vs lib vs con malarky. It took a coalition of political malfeasance, ineptitude and an apathetic populace to get things to this lame state of affairs.

Arrow Electronics moving NY headquarters to Colo. - BusinessWeek

Last edited by mongoose65; 10-12-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 01:13 PM

3,131 posts, read 2,397,495 times
Whoa, for a second I thought you were talking about me

Will the last one out remember to turn off the lights.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:27 PM

11,178 posts, read 7,649,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Whoa, for a second I thought you were talking about me

Will the last one out remember to turn off the lights.
That's too funny I had to read what you said and what the title of the thread was to get what you meant.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:58 PM

855 posts, read 949,298 times
We let a company headquartered on the island with 18b in revenue to leave. Yea Long Island. You deserve a pat on the back. I say vote the crooks out and you're right it's all of their fault.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:01 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,255,635 times
Do you have some inside info as to why they left? Your article says that CO is giving them $11.4 million in tax incentives to move there. Should Suffolk County have matched their offer or something? Who's paying for those tax incentives?

Old 10-12-2011, 02:24 PM

15,738 posts, read 16,128,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Do you have some inside info as to why they left? Your article says that CO is giving them $11.4 million in tax incentives to move there. Should Suffolk County have matched their offer or something? Who's paying for those tax incentives?
Ever since Michael Long was made CEO (2009), he wanted the global headquarters to be in Colorado because that is where he lives.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:42 PM

2,351 posts, read 3,495,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
You can try to run after that lead.... OR.... you can also google the term "least business friendly states" and see where does our beloved New Yawk stand.... (of course we have to be on top) and then go after the author of each article you may find

Old 10-12-2011, 02:50 PM

8,865 posts, read 9,836,783 times
Colorado must be business friendly because I've worked for a couple of companies on LI that were headquartered there. God know NY is not business friendly.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:56 PM

15,738 posts, read 16,128,091 times
This one really has more to do with the new CEO not wanting to move away from Colorado than LI being a substandard place to do business. So he campaigned for the HQ move and got the state of Colorado to help out with tax incentives. They are not closing the LI office. They are just going to be using the Colorado office as the HQ from now on.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:04 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,255,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
You can try to run after that lead.... OR.... you can also google the term "least business friendly states" and see where does our beloved New Yawk stand.... (of course we have to be on top) and then go after the author of each article you may find
No need, the article itself makes it obvious - CO handed them $11 million to move. And apparently the CEO lives there.

As for NY being unfriendly to business, take a longer look at those studies - they rank NY lower because we don't allow companies to dump as much toxic waste and allow workers to unionize. I guess that's business unfriendly, but by that standard, we could jump to the top of the rankings by allowing businesses to simply enslave people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: