Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 06:55 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
And how much bigger are those areas compared to wee PJV?

Brentwood is 10 sm, Medford, too.

PJS and Terryville are added together -- why? Even added together they aren't as large as the other two.

Considering PJV and PJS share a seedy common boundary, and in fairness to compare them equally on a size scale, what if we merged PJV with PJS and Terryville? Then it would be about the same size as the other areas you've listed. And interestingly enough, the crime figure becomes right in line with those other areas. The average is one crime per 54 people in Brentwood and one crime per 53 people in PJV/PJS/Terryville.

And as Crooks has noted, PJV constables are not forthcoming in their crime reports and the Village officials determined to keep it that way.
Listen, I love to visit PJ. Im just not sure if Id want to live there given all the terrific surrounding options. I think the Dollar to Drama ratio is way outta wack. I suspect once the homes are reassessed without the LIPA money(which BTW covered most of the nut for the area and schools)and their artificially low 4 figure taxes double (at min) the fit will really hit the shan as property values tank and the Sec 8 creeps downhill.PJs got real troubles on the horizon, not the least of which is the ostriching of its long time residents(what me worry?). There had better be at a coup at Village hall soon. Its crazy to see a diamond like PJ this tarnished.

WTFPJ? We miss you. My girl wont go down there at night alone anymore.

Like I said before, it seems PJ jumped the shark once it started charging to park.
Its more than oddly coincidental.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 10-15-2011 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 08:25 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Listen, I love to visit PJ. Im just not sure if Id want to live there given all the terrific surrounding options. I think the Dollar to Drama ratio is way outta wack. I suspect once the homes are reassessed without the LIPA money(which BTW covered most of the nut for the area and schools)and their artificially low 4 figure taxes double (at min) the fit will really hit the shan as property values tank and the Sec 8 creeps downhill.PJs got real troubles on the horizon, not the least of which is the ostriching of its long time residents(what me worry?). There had better be at a coup at Village hall soon. Its crazy to see a diamond like PJ this tarnished.

WTFPJ? We miss you. My girl wont go down there at night alone anymore.

Like I said before, it seems PJ jumped the shark once it started charging to park.
Its more than oddly coincidental.

Crooks
A couple of years ago I spoke with a constable who admitted things were getting worse when PJV made them chase the 'bikers' from parking on Main St and the frigate lot. It appeared the presence of the bikes kept the skell from heading down the hill. PJV traded visible bikes for creepers in the dark.

Look at the homes lining the hill and notice that there are apartments being cut into them. Check out the pedestrian traffic on the hill. Upper Port is looking rattier.

Last Thursday I parked in PJV along Main St to head into a store. On the watt out, I noticed a constable hassling a guy on a Ninja-like bike for parking backwards. He would sooner take his chances with the wimpy looking white guy and his girlfriend as opposed to the dirtbags who loiter about the playground.

The influx of a gang to the south, the increase in crime in PJV, the assault on a village constable, the superfund site, the looming loss of LIPA money...where and when does it end, and what will PJV look like when it is over?

Old 10-15-2011, 09:00 AM

418 posts, read 1,069,929 times
Quote:
Whitney tried to be clever lumping PJS and Terryville together. Using the link s/he provided, I learned that SCPD does not lump them together. I also learned the following statistics for the period dating 10/15/10-10/15/11:

Crimes

PJV -136
PJS -67
Terryville -272

Doesn't that mean that PJV had double the crimes of PJS? I guess by lumping PJS with Terryville, Whitney was trying to bamboozle us.
That's a grim picture! And too close to home for comfort.
I don't go often there except for occasional dinner or visiting friends, but even so - the negative changes have become quite apparent.
The charm and "hipness" of the place fading away.
For some reason, I draw parallels with San Francisco (maybe the hilliness) - an interesting place to visit, but you take your chances deciding to live there. The long-time residents in both cases have unquestionable loyalty and love for the place.

Last week, I looked at a house on the border of PJV and Setauket, and the realtor made a comment, that if the address were not Port Jeff (but the 3V), she would have sold it much earlier.

As for the original question, despite the negative picture of PJV, there are still nice communities, including the mentioned one.
I liked Miller Place as it seemed quieter, simpler, down-to-earth, nice beach access. I did not sense a big segregation - the nicer bigger houses seemed mixed with smaller cottages - I see that as a plus.
PJV is more dynamic and vibrant, and more extreme in the demographics.
The commute to a job may also be a factor. PJV is closer to LIRR, and more job sites, I think.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:29 AM

426 posts, read 960,301 times
I can say that I have lived in both areas (parents are in MP, and I had an apt in Port Jeff Sta for a while) and from experience, I can definitely see a change in Port Jeff.....it is sad, but Port Jeff Sta has a very high population of Dominicans and spanish minorities (one of the highest on LI, next to Brentwood and CI and Glen Cove, if I'm not mistaken) so there are some gangs starting to perpetrate the area....

Along with the superfund site, the LIPA issue, and the village becoming overrun every Fri and Sat night with teenage thugs looking for no good, it's not the same as it used to be.

I moved out of Port Jeff Sta in 2009, but I still frequent the village to go to Port Jazz and some of the restaurants down there, and it is getting worse.
Whoever said it's because they kicked the bikers out, I think you are correct.....the bikers kept a lot of the riff raff out of the village.

So if I had a choice, I would go for Miller Place.....its quaint, its quiet, its more laid back, but I think the schools are going to be a problem bc of the 2% tax cap.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:49 AM

66 posts, read 151,353 times
Quote:
Whitney tried to be clever lumping PJS and Terryville together. Using the link s/he provided, I learned that SCPD does not lump them together. I also learned the following statistics for the period dating 10/15/10-10/15/11:

Crimes

PJV -136
PJS -67
Terryville -272

Doesn't that mean that PJV had double the crimes of PJS? I guess by lumping PJS with Terryville, Whitney was trying to bamboozle us.

Actually if you look up some of the addresses provided in Terryville a lot of them are actually in PJS.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:51 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
I can say that I have lived in both areas (parents are in MP, and I had an apt in Port Jeff Sta for a while) and from experience, I can definitely see a change in Port Jeff.....it is sad, but Port Jeff Sta has a very high population of Dominicans and spanish minorities (one of the highest on LI, next to Brentwood and CI and Glen Cove, if I'm not mistaken) so there are some gangs starting to perpetrate the area....

Along with the superfund site, the LIPA issue, and the village becoming overrun every Fri and Sat night with teenage thugs looking for no good, it's not the same as it used to be.

I moved out of Port Jeff Sta in 2009, but I still frequent the village to go to Port Jazz and some of the restaurants down there, and it is getting worse.
Whoever said it's because they kicked the bikers out, I think you are correct.....the bikers kept a lot of the riff raff out of the village.

So if I had a choice, I would go for Miller Place.....its quaint, its quiet, its more laid back, but I think the schools are going to be a problem bc of the 2% tax cap.
isn't the 2pct hammer on ALL districts. Can you imagine PJ trying to play catch up.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney8 View Post
Actually if you look up some of the addresses provided in Terryville a lot of them are actually in PJS.
Deflect much? In denial? The bottom-line is PJV has twice as much crime as opposed to PJS based upon the reports on the site you cited.

Unless people in PJV become proactive and stop denying the truth, the area is going to continue to slide downward.

Bienvenidos a El Pueblo del Puerto Hefferson!

Old 10-15-2011, 01:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
According to the Census, only 15% of PJS residents were Hispanic. It's nowhere near Brentwood (around 70%), Central Islip (around 55%), and Glen Cove (around 25%). Maybe there are many who didn't fill out a census form, but those are the official numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney8 View Post
The thing you have to consider is the population of each of those areas. All things being equal, an area with more people will have more crime. So somebody should've taken the time to divide the number of crimes by the population of each area and post the results.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Who would a criminal rather pursue? Mort Meek out with his wife and kids eating ice cream, or the biker in leathers? PJV removed a link in the food chain which kept the predators in check.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
According to the Census, only 15% of PJS residents were Hispanic. It's nowhere near Brentwood (around 70%), Central Islip (around 55%), and Glen Cove (around 40%)

The thing you have to consider is the population of each of those areas. All things being equal, an area with more people will have more crime. So somebody should've taken the time to divide the number of crimes by the population of each area and post the results.
PJS 2010. 7838/57 = 1 crime per 137.5 people.
PJV 2010 7750/132 = 1 crime per 58.7 people
Terryville 2010 11849/272= 1 crime per 43.6 people

For giggles:
Brentwood 2010 60,664/991= 1 crime per 61.2 people

PJS has 88 people more than PJV and less than half the crime per people rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island