Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,722,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
It's unfortunate generalizing on everyone who has section 8. Sure there's some troublemakers but a few of my friends are in it and they arent thugs.
The illegal apartments and the illegals are the main problem. Around Port Jeff I see houses with many cars, often with out of state plates parked at them.
This is often right around the LIRR. If the towns shut down the illegal apartments and enforced housing code crime would sharply drop. But they are paid off by those that hire illegals to keep them here for the cheap labor. Look at the gangs that have a presence in Port Jeff, all from south of the border!
Just who in PJV is getting paid off by the rich people in Belle Terre, or even Miller Place? As those areas got wealthier Port Jeff declined, as the wealthy needed someplace to dump their cheap illegal workers.
It works out good though. The folks in Belle Terre and MP can use their sheds for storage instead of harboring a few shackled slaves, no?

No more worrying about room & board or having to shoot Pepé when he tries to escape. Simply send them to PJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,109,187 times
Quote:
It's unfortunate generalizing on everyone who has section 8. Sure there's some troublemakers but a few of my friends are in it and they arent thugs.
The illegal apartments and the illegals are the main problem. Around Port Jeff I see houses with many cars, often with out of state plates parked at them.
This is often right around the LIRR. If the towns shut down the illegal apartments and enforced housing code crime would sharply drop. But they are paid off by those that hire illegals to keep them here for the cheap labor. Look at the gangs that have a presence in Port Jeff, all from south of the border!
Just who in PJV is getting paid off by the rich people in Belle Terre, or even Miller Place? As those areas got wealthier Port Jeff declined, as the wealthy needed someplace to dump their cheap illegal workers.

Totally agree.

Miller Place's gains have definitely been at PJ's loss. I remember when MP was working class and Port Jeff was upscale. The years have been most unkind.

There is no doubt in my mind that the PJV is completely bought.
It takes a special kind of evil greed to ruin a town so terrific.

Theyve been dumping the trash in the Comsewogue side of the Village for years.
I guess they forgot that poop flows downhill.

Crooks

Old 10-19-2011, 11:19 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,578,309 times
Quote:
If you look at the size of the population in Belle Terre and compare it to the size of the 'Hispanics of questionable immigration status' population in upper PJV, it would appear that there is probably 2 Hispanics for each resident of BT.

Population on Long Island, 2010 Census

IMHO, it is not so much who is getting paid off, rather PJV condoning the illegal rentals in upper PJV to keep the problem away from lower PJV without coming across as being racist, xenophobic, anti-Hispanic, etc.

Personally, I feel upper Port's problems started when the different shelters and ministries opened up by the LIRR. The area started to slip, rents came down in price, crimes and vagrancy increased -- the QOL when to shambles. Enter the earliest of immigrants -- legal or illegal -- spreading the word to their amigos.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:38 PM

66 posts, read 150,642 times
Take a look at this building can't they bulldoze these?
What Do You Want to See Here? [Empty in Port Jefferson] - Port Jefferson, NY Patch
Quote:
It seems as though gang activity began around 2008 and even earlier in Upper port.
http://www.northshoreoflongisland.co...y=71424.112114

Last edited by Whitney8; 10-20-2011 at 12:14 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 12:14 AM

12 posts, read 25,589 times
I live in the area. The Comsewogue schools are crappy and I hear the cops are at the high school everyday for supposed gang related fighting. It gets worse everyday!

Last edited by PJSucks; 10-21-2011 at 12:41 AM..

Old 10-22-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
If you look at the size of the population in Belle Terre and compare it to the size of the 'Hispanics of questionable immigration status' population in upper PJV, it would appear that there is probably 2 Hispanics for each resident of BT.

Population on Long Island, 2010 Census

IMHO, it is not so much who is getting paid off, rather PJV condoning the illegal rentals in upper PJV to keep the problem away from lower PJV without coming across as being racist, xenophobic, anti-Hispanic, etc.

Personally, I feel upper Port's problems started when the different shelters and ministries opened up by the LIRR. The area started to slip, rents came down in price, crimes and vagrancy increased -- the QOL when to shambles. Enter the earliest of immigrants -- legal or illegal -- spreading the word to their amigos.
The vagrancy increased because of the homeless shelter or were there always homeless in the area?

SBU REPORTS: Pax Christi Homeless Shelter - YouTube

Old 10-27-2011, 09:25 PM

A Coram man who started his night threatening someone with a gun in Port Jefferson village, punched a nurse in the Emergency Room at Mather Hospital after resisting arrest, according to police. There was also an incident of gunfire in PJS. I hate how Port Jeff has become, the crime there is ridiculous.
Man in Port Jeff, Waives Gun, Resists Arrest Then Punches Nurse - Port Jefferson, NY Patch
Drunk backseat driving
Jawbreakers in the new millennium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island