U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2011, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Northport
448 posts, read 828,239 times
Reputation: 153

Advertisements

Heading out to Rocky Pt tomorrow for a party, want to do some pumpkin picking beforehand with kids (toddlers). Any recommendations for u pick farms, willing to go as far as Riverhead, maybe slightly further, north shore/central only. Prefer on the vine ( if it still exists), maybe some hayrides, farm animals, etc. It will probably be mobbed, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2011, 07:40 AM
Status: "Happy Holidays" (set 19 days ago)
 
Location: Islip,NY
11,492 posts, read 8,488,979 times
Reputation: 9309
Lewins Farms is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 09:22 AM
 
3,686 posts, read 4,540,084 times
Reputation: 1683
Just drive out along Sound Ave and you will see plenty of "farms". I think all the pumpkins are going to be brought in this year.

BTW..enjoy beautiful Rocky Point. The Premier Hamlet of Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
13,926 posts, read 16,604,611 times
Reputation: 4747
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTrees View Post
Heading out to Rocky Pt tomorrow for a party, want to do some pumpkin picking beforehand with kids (toddlers). Any recommendations for u pick farms, willing to go as far as Riverhead, maybe slightly further, north shore/central only. Prefer on the vine ( if it still exists), maybe some hayrides, farm animals, etc. It will probably be mobbed, right?
Take 25A in Rocky Point to Rocky Point -Yaphank Rd. Head south, cross 25, continue heading south, pass Longwood Rd on your left. Shortly after that is a farm stand on your right which has hay rides, pumpkins (not on the vine -- not many farms have that because of the shortage this year) and a corn maze which is big enough for families with young children. No petting zoo, though. It's about 10 mins from Rocky Point and you won't be dealing with the eastbound pumpkin and vineyard crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Northport
448 posts, read 828,239 times
Reputation: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

BTW..enjoy beautiful Rocky Point. The Premier Hamlet of Long Island.
haha, yeah, Haven't really been to RP proper so I am interested to see if it lives up to expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Take 25A in Rocky Point to Rocky Point -Yaphank Rd. Head south, cross 25, continue heading south, pass Longwood Rd on your left. Shortly after that is a farm stand on your right which has hay rides, pumpkins (not on the vine -- not many farms have that because of the shortage this year) and a corn maze which is big enough for families with young children. No petting zoo, though. It's about 10 mins from Rocky Point and you won't be dealing with the eastbound pumpkin and vineyard crowd.
Thanks OBH. I will check this place out as I wanted to avoid the masses further out east. Is it called Little Red Farm Stand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 10:16 AM
 
405 posts, read 703,460 times
Reputation: 168
It's bad this year for the u-pick farms. Was out there 2 weeks ago, everything was rotten. Some of the 'good' ones that we were able to pick have begun rotting on our front porch already. Oh well, just a bad year with the weather. Still a fun trip, though, worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 10:18 AM
 
3,686 posts, read 4,540,084 times
Reputation: 1683
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTrees View Post
haha, yeah, Haven't really been to RP proper so I am interested to see if it lives up to expectations.
.
and in the spirit of Halloween don't forget to visit the ghost stores of Rocky Point for a feeling of real horror...nothing like a Taco Bell that has been closed for years to put terror into the hearts of small children...or perhaps the abandoned Blockbuster store.

You'll just find RP to be the highlight of your day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
13,926 posts, read 16,604,611 times
Reputation: 4747
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTrees View Post
haha, yeah, Haven't really been to RP proper so I am interested to see if it lives up to expectations.


Thanks OBH. I will check this place out as I wanted to avoid the masses further out east. Is it called Little Red Farm Stand?
It's almost directly across the road from the Little Red Farmstand. LRF is on the east side, the farmstand I wrote about is on the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 01:08 PM
 
1,794 posts, read 1,360,425 times
Reputation: 1179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
and in the spirit of Halloween don't forget to visit the ghost stores of Rocky Point for a feeling of real horror...nothing like a Taco Bell that has been closed for years to put terror into the hearts of small children...or perhaps the abandoned Blockbuster store.

You'll just find RP to be the highlight of your day.
I... I actually hit the rep button for you... I feel dirty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 01:21 PM
 
3,686 posts, read 4,540,084 times
Reputation: 1683
and Im ready to sing Kumbaya with you while sitting around a campfire in the middle of the Pine Barrens while eating organic vegetables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:40 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top