U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2011, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,140 times
Default Levittown/East Meadow

My wife and I are currently looking at a home in Levittown/East Meadow (zip code 11756). We are a young family and have a 1 year old daughter. Schools are a high priority for us and I was just looking for some advice. The house is zoned for the following schools in the East Meadow School District:

Meadowbrook Elementary
Clarke MS and HS

What do you all think about those schools? I've looked at the report cards and what I find a bit disconcerting is only slightly more than 50% of graduating students go off to a 4-year college. I understand it is up to the student and parents, but peers/fellow students can have a big influence on a child as well.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated as the home/neighborhood seem like a good fit for us ... not to mention prices are also quite manageable in East Meadow.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 11:15 AM

27 posts, read 36,891 times
I know that Clarke schools are very good, Clarke MS was recently in the national news and was named a prestigious "blue ribbon" school.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:26 AM

123 posts, read 208,149 times
In my research, I've liked what I saw at the East Meadow Schools. Most of the elementary schools seem good in the school district, as well as Jr. highs. High schools aren't the greatest on LI, but I they're still better than the public high school I went to in Queens.

We actually have an offer out on a house in East Meadow with these schools you're looking at.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 PM

556 posts, read 806,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdashc View Post
My wife and I are currently looking at a home in Levittown/East Meadow (zip code 11756). We are a young family and have a 1 year old daughter. Schools are a high priority for us and I was just looking for some advice. The house is zoned for the following schools in the East Meadow School District:

Meadowbrook Elementary
Clarke MS and HS

What do you all think about those schools? I've looked at the report cards and what I find a bit disconcerting is only slightly more than 50% of graduating students go off to a 4-year college. I understand it is up to the student and parents, but peers/fellow students can have a big influence on a child as well.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated as the home/neighborhood seem like a good fit for us ... not to mention prices are also quite manageable in East Meadow.

Thanks!!
Clarke Graduate Here:

It can go any numbers of ways. It not a bad school at all, but they do not Motivate per se. I am a 4 year graduate, but then again one of my classmates was one of the 2 Americans killed by drone in Yemen.

Id say its a good mix for being a mostly white school. The middle school seems to get more of the resources.

The area is a good place to grow up in. Your a 10 min drive from anything you could ever want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island